fly fishing mussels

Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default fly fishing mussels

An amazing video showing evolution in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0YTBj0WHkU

Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
dr.narcolepsy[_2_]

On Mar 2, 9:16*am, " wrote:
An amazing video showing evolution in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0YTBj0WHkU

Wow, thanks.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

wrote:
An amazing video showing evolution in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0YTBj0WHkU

That is way cool. I have a quibble with the Subject: header
though, those mussels are fishing with lures. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Mar 2, 10:09*am, Ken Fortenberry
An amazing video showing evolution in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0YTBj0WHkU

That is way cool. I have a quibble with the Subject: header
though, those mussels are fishing with lures. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

I thought about the title for just that reason, and finally decided it
was high
time to stir up an old controversy. :-)

I sometimes fish with Gummy Minnows and call it fly fishing, and
sometimes (very rarely) fish with bait using fly fishing gear and
don't call it fly fishing.

Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

On Mar 2, 6:16*am, " wrote:
An amazing video showing evolution in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0YTBj0WHkU

MAJOR COOL

I can't cast and work a gummy minnow that well ;-(

let alone "tie" one from my own body parts
Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

wrote in message
An amazing video showing evolution in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0YTBj0WHkU

Incredible!

Thanks for sharing,
JT

Old March 3rd, 2011, 12:57 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Mar 2, 8:16*am, " wrote:
An amazing video showing evolution in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0YTBj0WHkU

Watched it 27 times. New species count (thus far) = exactly zero.

Will continue observations. Will report new findings as they appear.

g.
who, if he had the time, would investigate the endlessly fascinating
question of whether people ever take the time to read the brainless
**** they write.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 02:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Mar 2, 6:16*am, " wrote:
An amazing video showing evolution in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0YTBj0WHkU

Amazing. Thanx
Old March 3rd, 2011, 02:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Mar 2, 5:57*pm, Giles wrote:
On Mar 2, 8:16*am, " wrote:

An amazing video showing evolution in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0YTBj0WHkU

Watched it 27 times. *New species count (thus far) = exactly zero.

Will continue observations. *Will report new findings as they appear.

g.
who, if he had the time, would investigate the endlessly fascinating
question of whether people ever take the time to read the brainless
**** they write.

Mimicry is one of the most compelling sources of evidence, among a
great many, in support of evolution by natural selection. It's
impossible (to my mind) to conceive of another naturalistic
explanation of it. Supernatural "explanations" are of course possible
-- God made the creatures that way for some strange reason beyond our
comprehension -- but I don't take those seriously, as anyone who isn't
willfully ignorant shouldn't. (Are you listenisng, Todd?)

I would have thought that, in light your apparent love of nature, you
would have found the video interesting, but given your well-known
delight in being a nasty asshole I'm not surprised that you didn't.

"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution."
Theodosius Dobzhansky

Old March 3rd, 2011, 11:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Mar 2, 8:58*pm, " wrote:
On Mar 2, 5:57*pm, Giles wrote:

On Mar 2, 8:16*am, " wrote:

An amazing video showing evolution in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0YTBj0WHkU

Watched it 27 times. *New species count (thus far) = exactly zero.

Will continue observations. *Will report new findings as they appear.

g.
who, if he had the time, would investigate the endlessly fascinating
question of whether people ever take the time to read the brainless
**** they write.

Mimicry is one of the most compelling sources of evidence, among a
great many, in support of evolution by natural selection.

Evidence in support of evolution by natural selection, however
compelling, is hardly necessary at this late date for any thinking
person.....and it is wasted on what appears to be a substantial
majority.

It's impossible (to my mind) to conceive of another naturalistic
explanation of it.

Easy enough to conceive of other naturalistic
explanations.....assuming one had a compelling reason to. Much
tougher to come up with examples.....even if one could find a reason
to.

Supernatural "explanations" are of course possible
-- God made the creatures that way for some strange reason beyond our
comprehension -- but I don't take those seriously, as anyone who isn't
willfully ignorant shouldn't. (Are you listenisng, Todd?)

There is no good reason for a thinking person to take supernatural
explanations seriously. On the other hand, there is no good reason to
reject them. Supernatural explanations are not subject to reason.
You believe.....or you don't. So what?

I would have thought that, in light your apparent love of nature, you
would have found the video interesting, but given your well-known
delight in being a nasty asshole I'm not surprised that you didn't.

Given your desperate need to hold self-loathing at bay by snatching at
whatever scraps of approval you can garner from whatever dubious
sources, I'm not surprised that you tout a couple minutes long youtube
video as "evolution in action."

In fact, the video IS interesting......but it demonstrates pretty much
nothing other than that some mussels trick fish into cooperating in
their own reproductive strategies. Or is it your position that the
mussels whose "lures" were somewhat less than perfect have gone
extinct in the past couple of weeks.....and nobody bothered to inform
us?
..
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution."
* * * * Theodosius Dobzhansky

Yeah, nice soundbite.

How stupid not to have thought of it.

g.
who pleads guilty to an inordinate fondness for beetles.