Graham County

Old October 13th, 2008, 03:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Default Graham County

When the going gets weird, the weird go fishing.

I've got half a mind, (stop right there 40 ;-), to haul ass
out of here and do some late season trout fishing. I'm talkin'
about the mountain streams of North Cackalacky.

Anybody have info on whether the Graham County trout streams
are sufficiently drought-recovered to allow guilt-free fishing ?

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old October 13th, 2008, 04:42 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Calif Bill

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
When the going gets weird, the weird go fishing.

I've got half a mind, (stop right there 40 ;-), to haul ass
out of here and do some late season trout fishing. I'm talkin'
about the mountain streams of North Cackalacky.

Anybody have info on whether the Graham County trout streams
are sufficiently drought-recovered to allow guilt-free fishing ?

--
Ken Fortenberry

Do not know about NC, but trying to leave tomorrow for a couple days on Hat
Creek, Big Lake, Fall River in the Burney area. Trying to get in one last
trip before winter. Except is supposed to be down to 33 at night and 71
during the day. Was 16 on Friday night in Burney according to Vaughn's Fly
shop.

Old October 13th, 2008, 05:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote

When the going gets weird, the weird go fishing.

Go for it ! We could all use a little "catch and keep" sanity fishing
about now.

Old October 13th, 2008, 05:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"Calif Bill" wrote

Trying to get in one last
trip before winter. Except is supposed to be down to 33 at night and 71
during the day. Was 16 on Friday night in Burney according to Vaughn's
Fly shop.

I have jury duty this week but I may head over the hill through Yosemite to
Hot Creek ( half as much driving as Hat, for me ) the week after. I've
been there, and to the Hat area both, at the time of my birthday ( 22nd ) a
few times and, yes, it's cold at nights, but you'll surviveG The
fishing can be very good, the weather that wonderful crisp that makes you
glad you spent the bucks on Capilene undies. It's a wonderful time of year.

Old October 13th, 2008, 10:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bob Patton

Here's a picture of Big Snowbird five weeks ago. Somewhat low but not too
bad.
http://www.pbase.com/rwpatton/image/103114960/large

--
Bob Patton
(change bgzqsdq to charter to reply)

Old October 15th, 2008, 01:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Bob Patton wrote:
Here's a picture of Big Snowbird five weeks ago. Somewhat low but not too
bad.
http://www.pbase.com/rwpatton/image/103114960/large

Nice pic, Bob. Thanks.

I hope you had good trip, I'm really fond of Snowbird.

I've decided to switch gears and head north instead of south.
I'm going to do my last-of-the-year trout fishing on the
Holy Waters of Michigan.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old October 16th, 2008, 06:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Calif Bill

"Larry L" wrote in message

"Calif Bill" wrote

Trying to get in one last
trip before winter. Except is supposed to be down to 33 at night and 71
during the day. Was 16 on Friday night in Burney according to Vaughn's
Fly shop.

I have jury duty this week but I may head over the hill through Yosemite
to Hot Creek ( half as much driving as Hat, for me ) the week after.
I've been there, and to the Hat area both, at the time of my birthday (
22nd ) a few times and, yes, it's cold at nights, but you'll surviveG
The fishing can be very good, the weather that wonderful crisp that makes
you glad you spent the bucks on Capilene undies. It's a wonderful time of
year.

Was warm during the day, down to the lower 30's at night, but the electric
fireplace in the camper kept us warm on the Rancheria RV park's electricity.
$27 / night less 10% for good sam membership. Took the boat to Big Lake /
alawaji springs state park. Interesting spring fed lake, with loads of alge
in the water. Saw a couple of rises with no joy. Trolled a Wooley Bugger
with no joy. Was supposed to be some springs coming out of the basalt rock
with extremely clear water and wary large trout, that we could not find. As
we were returning to the boat ramp asked another boat where the springs
were. Said follow him. All the sudden the water is gin clear and 15' deep.
Nice fellow. We parked the boat and took a walk on the trail and saw lots
of small trout in the springs area. As we left as was getting sundown, and
lots of biting bugs, wife saw a maybe 24" trout cruise by the boat on her
side. Not enough time to fish and find the ramp in the dark. May return.
Yesterday went to Mcarthur-Burney Park and Lake Britton. Fished Burney
Creek. Large Stonefly's trying to fly, and one person got 1 fish, not I.
Fishing good, catching poor. Took a tour of the lake and tried for some of
the smallmouth bass, with no luck there either. But a beautiful trip and
have not been up there for at least 33 years. Next time, will hit Hat Creek
and the Pit river, maybe take the canoe or Kayak down Fall River. Left last
night at about 6 and was home at 11:30. Figured I would only get part way,
but made better time than expected. Had to be back today for a class at the
local JC.

Old October 16th, 2008, 06:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Calif Bill

"Larry L" wrote in message

"Calif Bill" wrote

Trying to get in one last
trip before winter. Except is supposed to be down to 33 at night and 71
during the day. Was 16 on Friday night in Burney according to Vaughn's
Fly shop.

I have jury duty this week but I may head over the hill through Yosemite
to Hot Creek ( half as much driving as Hat, for me ) the week after.
I've been there, and to the Hat area both, at the time of my birthday (
22nd ) a few times and, yes, it's cold at nights, but you'll surviveG
The fishing can be very good, the weather that wonderful crisp that makes
you glad you spent the bucks on Capilene undies. It's a wonderful time of
year.

We went up to Hot Creek last year in Oct and was really cold. We stayed at
Pine Cliff RV park on June Lake. Nice place. We were up there a month ago
or so. Fishing conditions were terrible. Went the weekend when the flash
floods closed 395. Went out to Fish Hot Creek, and not much happening, and
went over to the Owens. Black clouds to the east and then about 40 mph
winds. Figured I am not good enough or tough enough to fish in those
conditions. Wife would not let me toss a fly into the brood ponds at the
hatchery. Stayed at Tuolumne Meadows one night, but the rain / hail and a 2
foot rise in the river put the fish off the bite. Could see them but they
did not want anything I had in the fly box.