Fishing the Film ..a book by Gary Borger

Old January 25th, 2011, 02:40 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mark H. Bowen[_2_]

Default Fishing the Film ..a book by Gary Borger

So, if I have read neither, which should I not buy first?

Op
Old January 25th, 2011, 04:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

On Jan 24, 6:40*pm, "Mark H. Bowen" wrote:
So, if I have read neither, which should I not buy first?

Op

Not sure "Presentations" is still available but it may be the most
comprehensive modern "primer" on Fly Fishing. Covers most
everything and does it well.

ASIDE: I have problems with Borger's ego .... his book is full of
"After I invented fly fishing, I invented leaders and then I invented
ALL the techniques and, so, I invented wading boots ... then me and
MY buds went out and caught tons of fish that NOBODY else could
catch" Without those numerous episodes of "look how good I am,"
imho, "Presentations" would be a top of the pile "how to" book

Larry ( who provides book reviews and opinions on everything ... free
to all )
Old January 26th, 2011, 09:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Jonathan Cook

On Jan 25, 9:43*am, Larry L wrote:

ASIDE: *I have problems with Borger's ego .... his book is full of

[snipped nice little expose]

Larry I hope all is well up and out that way for 'ya, but in reading
this I just gotta ask, why then did you fall for his latest book? It
sure sounds like you knew better than that...

Take care,

Jon.
OBROFF: I met John Bailey, son of Dan Bailey (that must surely improve
my Kreh number!), and listened to him talk about the history of their
fly business, and anecdotes from the making of The Movie. Entertaining
but nothing significant to relate on ROFF I suppose. IIRC he did say
that his dad was an ABD PhD student in nuclear physics and would have
likely ended up in Los Alamos on the Manhattan Project if he hadn't
dropped out to pursue this flyfishing thing...whodathunkit.
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

On Jan 26, 1:25*pm, Jonathan Cook wrote:
, why then did you fall for his latest book? It
sure sounds like you knew better than that...

Two factors were at work

1) I'm a sucker for fly fishing books

2) I saw the title at a time when I was giving a lot of thought to
fishing "in" and very slightly to the "underside of" ... the "film"

and I hoped for new insights into the very challenging specific
problems involved with such presentation and patterns for same ...i.e.
don't float, don't sink

I bought the book online, based on MY projection of what the title
'should" mean, apparently not Borger's ..... if I had had a chance
to thumb through it, I would have passed

Old March 1st, 2011, 11:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DavePA

On Jan 26, 6:49*pm, Larry L wrote:
On Jan 26, 1:25*pm, Jonathan Cook wrote:
, why then did you fall for his latest book? It

sure sounds like you knew better than that...

Two factors were at work

1) I'm a sucker for fly fishing books

2) I saw the title at a time when I was giving a lot of thought to
fishing "in" and very slightly to the "underside of" ... the "film"

and I hoped for new insights into the very challenging specific
problems involved with such presentation and patterns for same ...i.e.
don't float, don't sink

I bought the book online, based on MY projection of what the title
'should" mean, apparently not Borger's *..... * if I had had a chance
to thumb through it, I would have passed

Resurrecting this post to exclaim that THIS BOOK is the Reader's
Digest version of the Holy Grail of all known, flyfishing for trout,
knowledge and wisdom.

Old March 4th, 2011, 10:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

On Mar 1, 3:57*pm, DavePA wrote:

Resurrecting this post to exclaim that THIS BOOK is the Reader's
Digest version of the Holy Grail of all known, flyfishing for trout,
knowledge and wisdom.

I'd agree with that ... but since I already owned "Presentations" and
"Designing Trout Flies" ( something like that) I was disappointed to
find my $$ vanished for the Reader's Digest version, nothing new here,
at all G

Seems he has a whole series of self plagiarism planned .... bless and
bow down to the $$ .... fooled me once, but he won't twice

I'll give my copy of this Digest version to someone that seems
interested and deserving, soon as I meet one.