Boating - Outdoors

Old November 6th, 2003, 02:41 PM
Bob La Londe

Default Boating - Outdoors

I wonder. Why is it that even within certian groups there are dyamtrically
opposed segments that make defending a pastime from antis a less than
stellar experience.

In out circmstances most bass fishermen use some form of boat at one time or
another and we don't want to lose that priveledge.

We curse at other pleasure boaters when they bother us, and even have open
animosity to some like PWC users. Yet for those anti's who would like to
see boating reduced to the bare minimum for law enforcement, or less, they
will attack any segment of our group. Boaters that is. Attack fishing and
some none fishing pleasure boaters will jump on the band wagon. Attack PWC
users and lots of fishermen may join in. Attack anything with a motor and
the sail boaters will be ecstatic. Yet as a group, boaters, we could
certainly stand up to any legal threat.

I could say the same thing about hunters, trappers, and fishermen. If we
could agree to deal with our differences between us and fight a unified
fight against legislation we would be less threatened, and our numbers would
probably not be reducing as they are today.

Twice I have rescued PWC users this year, and one stranded pleasure boater.
Once it cut short the time I spent fishing a tournament. Some of the other
guys fishing the torunament said, they would have ignored them. Especially
the PWC users. Wow! First off. Its against the law. Thats right Coast
Guard regulations require you to render aid to a boater in distress. Most
state regulation do as well. Secondly, thats a pretty awful thing to do to
a person, and it widens the gap between users of public water ways. I doubt
that the young lady I rescued from the back waters in behind Laikin Lakes
will be more likely to vote for issues that harm fishermen, and she is more
likely to vote for things to protect us. If I hadn't been fishing she would
have had to swim and walk another mile before she got out to the secondary
channel were there was some other pleasure boat traffic.

Just something to think about.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

Old November 6th, 2003, 04:08 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Bob La Londe wrote:

I wonder. Why is it that even within certian groups there are dyamtrically
opposed segments that make defending a pastime from antis a less than
stellar experience. ...

You've said a mouthful there, Bob. Environmentalists, tree-huggers,
Greens, fishermen, hunters and other outdoor enthusiasts all have
vested interests in many of the same issues. But you'll never see
a hunter or fishermen in the Green Party or a Green Party member
at the Pheasants Forever banquet. Wouldn't it be nice if both sides
could compromise and find a middle ground that places concern for
the environment and the outdoors foremost ? Man, what a powerful
constituency THAT would be, PETA freaks and hunters united in a
common cause. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old November 6th, 2003, 09:00 PM
Bob La Londe

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
y.com...
Bob La Londe wrote:

I wonder. Why is it that even within certian groups there are

dyamtrically
opposed segments that make defending a pastime from antis a less than
stellar experience. ...

You've said a mouthful there, Bob. Environmentalists, tree-huggers,
Greens, fishermen, hunters and other outdoor enthusiasts all have
vested interests in many of the same issues. But you'll never see
a hunter or fishermen in the Green Party or a Green Party member
at the Pheasants Forever banquet. Wouldn't it be nice if both sides
could compromise and find a middle ground that places concern for
the environment and the outdoors foremost ? Man, what a powerful
constituency THAT would be, PETA freaks and hunters united in a
common cause. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

I wasn't thinking quite that unified, but....

Old November 6th, 2003, 09:39 PM
Chuck Coger

Several Fishing and Recreational Boating groups work very closley here in
Florida. Mainly because the Save the Manatee Groups want to create severe
speed restrictions on some of the waterways that Manatees "MAY" use. If
there is a possibility a Manatee goes into that water they want an idle only
speed zone, well that is 90% of the water in Florida in truth. So these
groups commonly work together in fighting idle only zones.

Like you don't expect me to be standing shoulder to shoulder with any PETA
member.

---
Chuck Coger
http://www.fishin-pro.com

Old November 8th, 2003, 07:54 PM
Josh

This is a good post Bob and I know what you mean. I've rescued starnded
PWC users and when I had an accident and a truck go into the water 5 of them
risked their lives to save my "property" ! I'm not sure but I've been
reading this fairly scholastic treat ment of the Lord's life called "Jesus
The Christ" by Talmadge and I think there's something in there we casually
refer to as "The Golden Rule". Might be nice if we could all bring it to the
forefront of our minds in many aspects of our lives.

I'm convinced however that as a group (realizing exceptions to all
rules) that fisherpeople are among the best when it comes to excercise of
good behavior, care for our natural resources, concern for other species and
extending the hand of friendship and fellowship to others we meet on the
waters. Your post was a good reminder that " all of us are entitled to our
respective enjoyments.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Old November 12th, 2003, 05:37 AM
Bob Rickard

I agree, B-Bear. The same instincts that cause a thinking people to love
fishing and hunting in God's beautiful outdoors are also those that create
good, caring people.

--
Bob Rickard
www.secretweaponlures.com