Flatwing Streamer ?

Old March 27th, 2004, 06:26 AM
Hooked

Default Flatwing Streamer ?

I have been trying to tie up some flatwing streamers, as in smelt patterns,
but have had no luck in tying in the wing. I haven't had much luck searching
the www for instructions about this. The ?'s I have a
1) What is the best type of material for these type wings? Most flies I see
look like they use a duck flank feather.
2) Are these tied in using a whole feather, or just bunches of barbs?
3) If they use a whole feather, how do I get them to appear bunched up, or
narrow looking, instead of looking like a moth wing?
4) Does anyone have any links to some good tying instructions for these.

Thanks to all helpful replies.

Old March 27th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Sandy

Hooked wrote:
I have been trying to tie up some flatwing streamers, as in smelt
patterns, but have had no luck in tying in the wing. I haven't had
much luck searching the www for instructions about this. The ?'s I
have a 1) What is the best type of material for these type wings?
Most flies I see look like they use a duck flank feather.
2) Are these tied in using a whole feather, or just bunches of barbs?
3) If they use a whole feather, how do I get them to appear bunched
up, or narrow looking, instead of looking like a moth wing?
4) Does anyone have any links to some good tying instructions for
these.

Thanks to all helpful replies.

Tried here?

http://globalflyfisher.com/streamers...g/flatstyl.htm

http://globalflyfisher.com/streamers...g/flatwing.htm

http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/kaflatwings/index1.html

and the Google search page for more

http://www.google.com/search?q=flatw...utf-8&oe=utf-8

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:-

Old March 27th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Jamie Heim

they are flank feathers but not all flank feathers are suitable. You want
those that run relatively straight and have a tappered tip. Not like the
flank feather that you see on "Fly Tyer" magazine, that one would be to
square at the tip. I love flatwings, I can't say they out fish other flies
but I just like their sleek look.

--
Regards,
Jamie 8^)

Old March 27th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Stan Gula

"Hooked" wrote in message
I have been trying to tie up some flatwing streamers, as in smelt

patterns,
but have had no luck in tying in the wing. I haven't had much luck

searching
the www for instructions about this. The ?'s I have a
1) What is the best type of material for these type wings? Most flies I

see
look like they use a duck flank feather.
2) Are these tied in using a whole feather, or just bunches of barbs?
3) If they use a whole feather, how do I get them to appear bunched up, or
narrow looking, instead of looking like a moth wing?
4) Does anyone have any links to some good tying instructions for these.

Thanks to all helpful replies.

Sandy gave you links, and Jamie gave you some key info on feather selection.
I can give you a couple of pointers. Picking the right feather is key. You
want one that's symmetrical with virtually no curve to the stem. In a 2 oz.
bag of mallard flank feathers you might get 10-20 ideal feathers.

One of the techniques I've been taught (we have two popular regional
flatwings in my neighborhood) is to strip off the base fibers. Measure the
feather against the hook so the tips are just beyond the tail (or whatever
length you want). Measure it about 1/16 inch longer than you want it.
Strip off all extraneout fibers so you have bare stem. Take 3 or 4 wraps of
thread, and when you have the feather positioned on top of the hook, right
where you want it, pull the stem so about 1/16 inch gets pulled under the
thread. This will trap some fibers and compress the feather into the shape
you want. If something goes wrong, unwrap and try again. It helps if you
dampen the feather and stroke the fibers into shape - the best feathers
don't need that step.

Another technique, if you're less worried about perfect appearance is to use
a rolled wing. This is a way to use up your less than perfect feathers.
Strip off a bunch of fibers or pretty equal length. Roll them between
finger and thumb to mix them and tie in like a hair wing. Sometimes you can
do that with a whole feather but the stem usually causes problems.

Here are the two I tie:
http://www.gula.org/roffswaps/recipe...e=FS2000&id=16 (a flatwing
nymph)
http://www.gula.org/roffswaps/recipe...=PNW2000&id=16 (not a very good
example - head twice the appropriate size, and the feather is a bit too
long)

--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps

Old March 27th, 2004, 03:56 PM
George Adams

From: "Hooked"

1) What is the best type of material for these type wings? Most flies I see
look like they use a duck flank feather.

Great advice from the others who answered. One more tip regarding materials. I
find that teal and pintail flank feathers are generally easier to use than
mallard or wood duck , as more of the feathers have the required shape. Also
teal has better defined markings, and I use it exclusively for smelt patterns.
Pintail, (although hard to find), has lighter markings, and could be used
instead of wood duck.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Old March 28th, 2004, 02:31 AM
Hooked

"Jamie Heim" wrote in message
they are flank feathers but not all flank feathers are suitable. You want
those that run relatively straight and have a tappered tip. Not like the
flank feather that you see on "Fly Tyer" magazine, that one would be to
square at the tip. I love flatwings, I can't say they out fish other flies
but I just like their sleek look.

Living here on the west side of Lake Michigan, I was looking to tie up some
smelt patterns for fishing the lake when the steelhead, coho, kings, and
browns cruise the shallows in spring and fall, just before they start making
those runs up the rivers.

Old March 28th, 2004, 02:35 AM
Hooked

"Stan Gula" wrote in message
news

[...]

This info would be very helpful. Thanks!!

Old March 28th, 2004, 02:37 AM
Hooked

"Sandy" wrote in message

Tried here?

http://globalflyfisher.com/streamers...g/flatstyl.htm

Yep. Checked that out a couple weeks ago and forgot all about it. Thanks for
reminding me.

Old March 28th, 2004, 02:40 AM
Hooked

"George Adams" wrote in message

Great advice from the others who answered. One more tip regarding

materials. I
find that teal and pintail flank feathers are generally easier to use than
mallard or wood duck , as more of the feathers have the required shape.

Also
teal has better defined markings, and I use it exclusively for smelt

patterns.
Pintail, (although hard to find), has lighter markings, and could be used
instead of wood duck.

All I currently have is mallard and wood duck. Guess I'm going to have to
look into that teal flank feather thing.