Name this fish?

Old April 7th, 2007, 09:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

Default Name this fish?

"Me" wrote in message
news1RRh.29608$B7.20566@bigfe9...
What kind of fish is this? I snagged it while bass fishing Friday.

Golden Shiner?

http://fish.dnr.cornell.edu/nyfish/C...den_shiner.jpg

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

Old April 8th, 2007, 04:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Me[_2_]

Thanks
Here in western Ky we do not fish much with large shiners.
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
.. .

Old April 8th, 2007, 06:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Me" wrote in message
Thanks
Here in western Ky we do not fish much with large shiners.

If you were bass fishing and snagged that big guy I would be willing to bet
the bass were feeding on them.

Here our big bait fish for generations has been threadfin shad, but I have
heard rumors we now have gizzard shad in the upper part of the river that
may soon migrate down river towards me soon. I have also heard we have
golden shinners wild, but I have not seen any. We do have red shiners,
(sometimes called crazy horse minnows or red horse or red mountain or fire
mountain minnows) but typically they only get about in inch and a half long.
On the rare occassions when I see bigger ones at 3" then look out! The bass
will be snacking on them big time.

Live shad and shiners caught from the water where fishing can make for a
really great day of fishing. I've had a couple hundred plus fish days using
live bait gathered in a throw net.

P.S. I would be tthat there in western Ky there are some guys who do use
those large shiners and catch big fish on them. They just don;t tell
everybody about it.

Old April 8th, 2007, 02:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Sprattoo

On Apr 8, 1:23 am, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
"Me" wrote in message

[...]

Here in Maine we use shiners quite a bit for Bass. They can get up to
8 to 12" when grown properly.
I just watched a B.A.S.S. show the other day on OLN about fishing
shiners for 10Lb bass.

It works and works great! My daughter got a couple crappie last year
that were just a hair under 4 lb and about 17" long fishing shiners!
Great bait.

Even when fishing crank bait.... my best success is on a gold/black
3.5 inch rapala.

______________________
www.sprattoo.com
IS the Fishin' Hole

Old April 10th, 2007, 07:36 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Doug

Oh yeah, float one of those above a slip bobber above the weeds in about 12
feet of water, and hold on! LOVE shiner fishing!! There about a buck a
piece here at the local bait shop, not cheap....

Doug

Old April 18th, 2007, 02:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Sprattoo

On Apr 10, 2:36 am, "Doug" wrote:
Oh yeah, float one of those above a slip bobber above the weeds in about 12
feet of water, and hold on! LOVE shiner fishing!! There about a buck a
piece here at the local bait shop, not cheap....

Doug

Here in Maine we use shiners quite a bit for Bass. They can get up to
8 to 12" when grown properly.
I just watched a B.A.S.S. show the other day on OLN about fishing
shiners for 10Lb bass.

It works and works great! My daughter got a couple crappie last year
that were just a hair under 4 lb and about 17" long fishing shiners!
Great bait.

Even when fishing crank bait.... my best success is on a gold/black
3.5 inch rapala.

______________________
www.sprattoo.com
IS the Fishin' Hole

Thas expensive!
I sell shiners from my shop for $3.50 a dozen!

But here in Maine, its nott too much hassle to throw out a trap

Old April 18th, 2007, 03:50 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Sprattoo" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 10, 2:36 am, "Doug" wrote:
[...]

LOL, I remember the first time I tried to buy some wild shiner in Florida.
I'm used to buying shiners here in Wisconsin for a couple bucks a dozen.
When Moe took my son and I out fishing, he said "You buy the bait."

When the guy asked me how many shiners I wanted, I said, "Gimme 8 or 10
dozen," not wanting to run out. The guy looked confused for a moment and
said, "Are you sure?" I asked why not, and when he said, "That'll be
$154.00 with tax, I almost choked! We settled for two dozen.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Doug

Well, we get a break on a dozen! There $10.00 a dozen here! That's pretty
much the norm for this area too it seems. Almost cheaper to have you ship
me some when I'm in need! lol

Doug

______________________

Old May 7th, 2007, 02:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Sprattoo

On Apr 23, 6:18 pm, "Doug" wrote:
Well, we get a break on a dozen! There $10.00 a dozen here! That's pretty
much the norm for this area too it seems. Almost cheaper to have you ship
me some when I'm in need! lol

Doug

www.sprattoo.com
IS the Fishin' Hole

Thas expensive!
I sell shiners from my shop for $3.50 a dozen!

But here in Maine, its nott too much hassle to throw out a trap

Dang.... It might be worth while for someone to make a private pond
and ship in 10 dozen and let them breed!