Trout swallowing the hook.

Old May 21st, 2006, 01:25 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing

Default Trout swallowing the hook.

What's it take to get these hatchery trout to take the hook in the lip or
the mouth instead of in the gullet? Is that possible?

Fished with worms and powerbait and number 12 single hooks.

-------------------------------------------------------------0--O--0-------------------------o-----)

Old May 21st, 2006, 06:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing

Bryan,

Try to use larger hooks or lures,so the
trout can be hook in the lip. Most hatchery trout do swallow the hook
with bait. Especially
with a small hook such as no. 12 hook. Most
urban and some lakes around large cities tend
to have put and take programs.

Trouter

Old May 21st, 2006, 10:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing

Bryan wrote:

What's it take to get these hatchery trout to take the hook in the lip or
the mouth instead of in the gullet? Is that possible?

Fished with worms and powerbait and number 12 single hooks.

-------------------------------------------------------------0--O--0-------------------------o-----)

Here is a solution,, that they never swallow the hook, because they can't

http://www.standouthooks.com/

They can't swallow past the line, every fish is lip hooked, you don't
miss as many strikes either

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Mojo SpecTastic "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread,
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:49 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing

"David Norris" wrote in message

Bryan,

Try to use larger hooks or lures,so the
trout can be hook in the lip. Most hatchery trout do swallow the hook
with bait. Especially
with a small hook such as no. 12 hook. Most
urban and some lakes around large cities tend
to have put and take programs.

Trouter

I don't know if it's the larger hook on the lure or just using a lure, but
today my 2 trout and my 2 crappie were all lip hooked!
The lure hooks appear to be 10's where I was powerbait fishing with 12's
yesterday when they were swallowing the hook.
Today the fishing was great because I was able to catch and release and that
always feels better to me than catch, mangle, and suffocate (or bleed to
death, whichever comes first).

When I go back tonight I'll try 10's for powerbait and worm fishing.

Thanks

Old June 6th, 2006, 02:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing

On Sun, 21 May 2006 00:25:52 GMT, "Bryan"
wrote:

What's it take to get these hatchery trout to take the hook in the lip or
the mouth instead of in the gullet? Is that possible?

Fished with worms and powerbait and number 12 single hooks.

-------------------------------------------------------------0--O--0-------------------------o-----)

I have a fishing team at the local Boys & Girls Club. My kids use only
circle hooks and have very few gut and throat hookups. You can read
about how to use them he http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/SG042
Old June 8th, 2006, 08:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing

wrote:

What's it take to get these hatchery trout to take the hook in the lip or
the mouth instead of in the gullet? Is that possible?

Fished with worms and powerbait and number 12 single hooks.

I have a fishing team at the local Boys & Girls Club. My kids use only
circle hooks and have very few gut and throat hookups. You can read
about how to use them he http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/SG042

Thanks for the tip; will look into it. Interesting.