General Question

Old October 11th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Nigel Pamment

Default General Question

Hi

Any ideas what's going on, I've been fishing a local spot on the Grand Union
Canal at Kings Langley, Herfordshire, last year I couldn't go wrong Carp,
Chub, Perch all good sizes but this year is a different story, I've blanked
nearly everytime the place does tend to get over fished but no more than
last year and I'm told there is a serious problem with the Krays don't know
if that has anything to do with it or not also I've seen and heard that
there are a lot of foreigners/immigrants what ever you want to call them
taking fish from the canal I've even been asked by a woman if I would sell
her fish that I catch especially carp, I politely told her F*?K OFF in no
uncertain terms, any way I've probably answered my own question.

Disillusioned Maggot Dangler

Old October 11th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , Nigel Pamment
wrote:
Hi

Any ideas what's going on, I've been fishing a local spot on the Grand Union
Canal at Kings Langley, Herfordshire, last year I couldn't go wrong Carp,
Chub, Perch all good sizes but this year is a different story, I've blanked

Every year is different - and follows the same pattern. If you found fish
in one area last year they will have been there for a reason. Usually it's
reated to food supply but water level, flow, predators, cover or new
'artificial' factors like leaky sewers or car-parking charges changing the
favourite duck-feeding station can all make a difference. It's even
possible that so many fish stripped out the local natural food supply and
obliged them to move on. Go look for them. Take a quiet walk with a pair
of polaroids when it's quiet and you should spot fish activity. The shoals
may be trapped in an adjacent pound or confined to a deeper area. The
bigger winter shoals have not yet formed hereabouts (Dorset) and probably
won't until we get some flooding and the leaves (cover) have all gone.

nearly everytime the place does tend to get over fished but no more than
last year and I'm told there is a serious problem with the Krays don't know
if that has anything to do with it or not also I've seen and heard that
there are a lot of foreigners/immigrants what ever you want to call them
taking fish from the canal I've even been asked by a woman if I would sell
her fish that I catch especially carp, I politely told her F*?K OFF in no
uncertain terms, any way I've probably answered my own question.

While you could fish an area out that way it would require a determined
effort and the word would get around.

Disillusioned Maggot Dangler

....and of course if the place is heavily fished and the occupants are fed up
with regular trips to the bank they may have learned to avoid maggots - it's
usually worth trying bread anywhere near a town.

Cheerio,

Old October 11th, 2005, 08:38 PM
>{daZza}

Derek.Moody wrote:
In article , Nigel Pamment
wrote:
[...]

Angling mail a few weeks ago reported of mystery fish deaths along the Hemel
stretch of the GU, thought to have been caused by pollution and up to 10,000
dead fish reported. Having said that i am still catching roach (2 weeks ago)
of around the 1lb mark on the boxmoor stretch of the GU using single grains
of corn on a size 16 to 4lb line so cant be all that bad. The Krays :-) you
talk of are these
http://www.bioimages.org.uk/HTML/P7/P7222.HTM signal
crayfish from yank land, and yep, the canal is bloody full of them, i find
its best to loose feed with corn not groundbait (if fishing on the bottom)
or your be pulling out the buggers all day, and believe me they have a nasty
nip (but a lovely taste if you fry the tails with a little garlic and
butter) :-))

HTH and keep plugging but give up the maggot dangling and try some of that
old fashioned corn or worm, you may be suprised

--

remove "BUT PLUG" to reply ;-)