Dragging a line behind a kayak

Old June 30th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Ghazan Haider

Default Dragging a line behind a kayak

Is it legal to drag a line behind a boat? I'm thinking of a week-long
trip on a river, and catching fish as you go might be a good idea.

Will the line attached to the boat itself be too rigid?

Old June 30th, 2005, 10:21 PM
David H. Lipman

From: "Ghazan Haider"

| Is it legal to drag a line behind a boat? I'm thinking of a week-long
| trip on a river, and catching fish as you go might be a good idea.
|
| Will the line attached to the boat itself be too rigid?

Most likely yes but you would have to contact the Fish & Game dep't. of the state(s) in
which you plan on Kayaking in.

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old July 1st, 2005, 03:43 AM
Bill McKee

Is trolling and if trolling is legal in your state, then go for it. Get a
rod holder, or a seat with a rod holder in the back.
Bill

oups.com...

Old July 1st, 2005, 06:45 AM
the other Daryl

Ghazan Haider wrote:

Is it legal to drag a line behind a boat? I'm thinking of a week-long
trip on a river, and catching fish as you go might be a good idea.

Will the line attached to the boat itself be too rigid?

That's called trolling!

Just like what you are doing.
Old July 1st, 2005, 04:52 PM
Bob La Londe

"Ghazan Haider" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is it legal to drag a line behind a boat? I'm thinking of a week-long
trip on a river, and catching fish as you go might be a good idea.

Will the line attached to the boat itself be too rigid?

Trolling is legal in most states, but check with the state G&F where you
will be traveling. Obviously you will need the appropriate license, stamps,
etc. I would opt for a short moderately stout rod for un attended trolling
like that instead of just tying a line on the kayak. If your kayak is one
of the better known yaks for fishing you should be able to find a seat with
rod holder for your rig.

Check at www.plasticnavy.com

These guys are serious about fishing out of their yaks. These are the
whackos you here about chasing thresher sharks and marline out of a kayak.

--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Check at www.plasticnavy.com

These guys are serious about fishing out of their yaks. These are the
whackos you here about chasing thresher sharks and marline out of a kayak.

I have searched everywhere but cannot find a pic of anyone who has caught a
Thresher or Marlin from a Kayak, could you please direct me to one. I am
very interested in seeing it.

Old July 1st, 2005, 08:51 PM
Bob La Londe

1st attempt search via Yahoo. Lots of listings.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=ut...ght+from+kayak

1st search attempt at Google. Also lots of listings.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&b...ayak&s pell=1

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old July 1st, 2005, 09:16 PM
Ozzard of Wiz

Ghazan Haider wrote:
Is it legal to drag a line behind a boat? I'm thinking of a week-long
trip on a river, and catching fish as you go might be a good idea.

Will the line attached to the boat itself be too rigid?

Dragging a fishing line behind any water craft is called trolling.

The legality could depend on the state you are in, which river, which
section of the river, which fish you catch while trolling, the time of
year, even hook size and type of bait. Snagging salmon might or not be
legal, so if you snagged one, you might technically be in violation.

I'm thinking two things, (1) the kayak would be moving too fast much of
the time to do any effective trolling, and (2) with one busy kayaker
paddling away and nobody paying attention to the line, would DFG
consider that an untended line (like a set line).