Illinois Fisherman - Outdoor Show Rosemont

Old January 16th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Josh

Default Illinois Fisherman - Outdoor Show Rosemont

Ill.

Did you go to Chicagoland Sportsfishing & Outdoorshow in Rosemont? In my
opinion the show has declined measurably in the last several years. Once
years ago when I was friends with the folks at Bedford Sales some staff
shared with me some pretty significant theft problems at the shows . . .
after the doors closed. So a lot of vendors quit coming. Looked more to me
last nite (at least in the fishing area) like a flea market (and not many
bargins at that) than a show. What did you think. Any of your buddies go-
how about them?

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Old January 16th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Josh" wrote in message
Ill.

Did you go to Chicagoland Sportsfishing & Outdoorshow in Rosemont? In

my
opinion the show has declined measurably in the last several years. Once
years ago when I was friends with the folks at Bedford Sales some staff
shared with me some pretty significant theft problems at the shows . . .
after the doors closed. So a lot of vendors quit coming. Looked more to

me
last nite (at least in the fishing area) like a flea market (and not many
bargins at that) than a show. What did you think. Any of your buddies go-
how about them?

I've been to the show at the Rosemont in years past. If I remember
correctly, this used to be a 10 day (a week at least) show, now I think it's
only 4 days. When I was going there, I heard a lot of the other exhibitors
complaining about the price of floor space, problems with the show
management/promotors, declining attendance, more lookers/less buyers, not
being able to plug in an extension cord without hiring union electricians,
etc..... When some friends had a booth, they inquired about an internet
connection. They were quoted a price of $1,500 per day!

With attitudes like that, I can see why the show is declining. It's too
bad, I always looked forward to going to shows.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old January 16th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Kurt Bimler

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:02:49 -0600, "Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers"
wrote:

"Josh" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the info. I read on a local forum that they thought the
show would be "picking up" this year and moving away from the "sell
everything, even if it is not fishing related" show that it had become
in the past. Now I know to skip it again this year - maybe next year.

Kurt
Old January 16th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Illinois Fisherman

No, I have not gone to it in years. I just lost interest in the whole thing.
I have not even seen one promotion for the show on TV this year. I just
found out about it last week when I stopped in to Dave's Bait and Tackle
here in town. I was looking for a new rod. He had them ALL packed up for the
show.

I have done some Computer shows at McCormick Place years ago. The Unions are
really tough. You had to have a union electrician come and plug in your
stuff. We lost a lot of items overnight to pilferage also. Stopped going
when the floor space, Union help, and thefts cost over 1000.00 per day.

Old January 16th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Kurt Bimler" wrote in message SNIP

Thanks for the info. I read on a local forum that they thought the
show would be "picking up" this year and moving away from the "sell
everything, even if it is not fishing related" show that it had become
in the past. Now I know to skip it again this year - maybe next year.

Kurt,

I certainly hope that show promotors "get it" and get back to what the
spring sport shows are supposed to be all about, a place to see new
products, talk to resort owners, guides, outfitters, attend informational
seminars, plan vacations, fishing/hunting trips, look at boats, rv's, atv's
and see/buy outdoor stuff, etc. I was appalled to see brooms, vaccuum
cleaners, laser eye surgery, and wine tasting booths at the last show I
attended!

Old January 17th, 2004, 03:30 AM
J Buck

I have done some Computer shows at McCormick Place years ago. The
Unions are really tough. You had to have a union electrician come and
plug in your stuff

That's just pathetic. I'm sure unions have their place, but it's crap
like this that makes people think they are an outdated absurdity.

Old January 17th, 2004, 04:14 AM
Who Cares

It's sad to say, but it's not just the Rosemont show but ALL shows in
general. The Show in Indianapolis is comming up next mont and it's been
on the decline for years. The "non" fishing (ie: tannig beds, sweepers,
Ginsu knives, snow shovels (no kidding) folks are making it into more of
a flea market than a outdoor show.

Old January 17th, 2004, 04:15 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"J Buck" wrote in message
I have done some Computer shows at McCormick Place years ago. The
Unions are really tough. You had to have a union electrician come and
plug in your stuff

That's just pathetic. I'm sure unions have their place, but it's crap
like this that makes people think they are an outdated absurdity.

You're absolutely correct. Unions do have their place, but I'll be damned
if I can figure it out! And I'm a union member...International Association
of Firefighters Local 1028.

The last show I participated in at the Rosemont was unreal. We caught flack
because we used our own cart to bring in promotional literature and other
display equipment. I guess we were supposed to hire Teamsters....

Old January 17th, 2004, 06:02 AM
J Buck

I have done some Computer shows at McCormick Place years ago. The
Unions are really tough. You had to have a union electrician come and
plug in your stuff

That's just pathetic. I'm sure unions have their place, but it's crap
like this that makes people think they are an outdated absurdity

You're absolutely correct. Unions do have their place, but I'll be
damned if I can figure it out! And I'm a union member...International
Association of Firefighters Local 1028. The last show I participated in
at the Rosemont was unreal. We caught flack because we used our own cart
to bring in promotional literature and other display equipment. I guess
we were supposed to hire Teamsters...

My hat's off to you, Steve. I'm guessing 99% of union members would
disagree with me/us and want to (try to) take our heads off.

Old January 17th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Who Cares wrote:
: It's sad to say, but it's not just the Rosemont show but ALL shows in
: general. The Show in Indianapolis is comming up next mont and it's been
: on the decline for years. The "non" fishing (ie: tannig beds, sweepers,
: Ginsu knives, snow shovels (no kidding) folks are making it into more of
: a flea market than a outdoor show.

We were going to all the shows for a few years but now primarily do the
boat show at McCormick place. Each year the kids enjoy it quite a bit. The
Rosemont show tended to be more of the same to us and the other show was
quit a bit bigger (course, then I always have the kids pestering me for
Jetskis for a few days...)

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page