fishing in tampa

Old October 29th, 2004, 04:26 PM
v-man

Default fishing in tampa

I taking a trip to tampa. Does anyone have any recommendation of a nice
place to go fishing there? Hows fishing in the bays there?

thx.

Old October 29th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Pepperoni

It's been 15 years since I was down there, but I suppose the fishing is
still great. Buy a block of frozen squid in the supermarket. (It's cheaper
than in the tackle shops) When I was there, I fished the south end of the
Skyway bridge and another big bridge further south. Tampa bay was good
fishing. I remember a fancy stone railing around much of the bay, and a
fishing pier where fishing was especially good. Many of the bridges in
Florida have walkways built underneath for the fishermen, and something is
always biting just about anywhere you can reach the water.

'most anything will bite on squid. The only bait I prefer over squid is
live shrimp, which again, almost any of the fish will eat.

Hey, are you the same v-man who once hung around UMA?

Good luck

Pepperoni

Old November 2nd, 2004, 11:39 AM
joe

In article ,
"v-man" wrote:

I taking a trip to tampa. Does anyone have any recommendation of a nice
place to go fishing there? Hows fishing in the bays there?

thx.

Work has slowed down my fishing time in the Tampa area but of all the
places I fish that is where I can usually count on catching fish.

Not sure of the type fishing you want to do but most anything is
possible. I am partial to flats fishing as my web site indicates. One of
the places that I usually hit would be around Ft. Desoto park. There are
many areas there where you can wade (carefully) and get to spots where
fish hold as the tide is changing. This would probably be a little more
productive than just beach fishing. As another respondent noted bridges
as an option. There are several options including Gandy Bridge, the
Sunshine Skyway old span and many smaller bridges over channels and
passes that would funnel bait and the game fish that follow them
increasing your chances of catching.

There are also several options for fishing by renting a kayak that will
allow you to get back into flats where fish are (and fewer anglers may
be). Guided trips are also an option depending on your budget.

This time of year the reds are still an option and I don't think it has
become cold enough to run off the snook and trout are also an option.
Many other species that are not considered game fish are also fun to
catch including jacks and ladyfish.

You should have many options to catch fish in the Tampa area.

good fishin'

atljoe
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!

Old November 4th, 2004, 04:53 PM
v-man

"Pepperoni" wrote in message
It's been 15 years since I was down there, but I suppose the fishing is
still great. Buy a block of frozen squid in the supermarket. (It's

cheaper
than in the tackle shops) When I was there, I fished the south end of the
Skyway bridge and another big bridge further south. Tampa bay was good
fishing. I remember a fancy stone railing around much of the bay, and a
fishing pier where fishing was especially good. Many of the bridges in
Florida have walkways built underneath for the fishermen, and something is
always biting just about anywhere you can reach the water.

'most anything will bite on squid. The only bait I prefer over squid is
live shrimp, which again, almost any of the fish will eat.

Hey, are you the same v-man who once hung around UMA?

Thanks alot for the tips. Sorry but I am different v-man.