Fly fishing on Vancouver Island

Old March 14th, 2004, 01:48 AM
Monique and Tim

Default Fly fishing on Vancouver Island

Hi,
I am going to be taking a week on the southern part Vancouver Island
(Victoria) in early May and plan to spend a few days fly fishing. I am
curious where the best places are to fish from the river bank? I'm not
really interested in having a guide take us out or going out in a boat. I
just want to walk along and fish from the bank. I will have chest waders if
I need to wade some. I really wanted to fish Steelhead, but someone
mentioned that the season is over before the first week in May. Is this the
case?
Also, I will have my own gear, but may want to rent some for my friends.
Any suggestions of where to rent some gear?
Thanks,
Tim

Old March 14th, 2004, 03:53 AM
Frank Reid

Default Ft. Washington Fly Show

Any PA fly fishers gonna be there tomorrow?
Frank Reid

This was supposed to be a new post. Sorry.
Frank

Old March 14th, 2004, 04:59 PM
canuck

"Monique and Tim" wrote in message news:VRO4c.795090$X%5.140009@pd7tw2no...
Hi,
I am going to be taking a week on the southern part Vancouver Island
(Victoria) in early May and plan to spend a few days fly fishing. I am
curious where the best places are to fish from the river bank? I'm not
really interested in having a guide take us out or going out in a boat. I
just want to walk along and fish from the bank. I will have chest waders if
I need to wade some. I really wanted to fish Steelhead, but someone
mentioned that the season is over before the first week in May. Is this the
case?
Also, I will have my own gear, but may want to rent some for my friends.
Any suggestions of where to rent some gear?
Thanks,
Tim

Your best bet would probably be the upper Cowichan River for brown,
rainbow & cutthroat trout. The Cowichan is probably the most heavily
regulated river in BC, with a fly fishing only section, closed areas
at certain times, etc. Be sure to gey a copy of the regulations when
you buy your licence and check them carefully. The steelhead run in
the Cowichan is pretty much finished by the end of April. You may find
a few Steelhead on some of the west coast streams at this time of
year, but May is one of the poorer months for Steelhead. Winter runs
are mostly finished by the end of April, and summer runs have not yet
started.
I am not sure if they rent gear, but you could try Robinson's on
Broad St. in downtown Victoria. They have a large flyfishing
department, They do have a website www.robinsonsoutdoors.com
Old March 29th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Monique and Tim

Excellent, thanks for the tips. I'm going to drive up to the Cowichan area
today to see what they have available. I've had a look at Robinson's site
and I'll be going in to see them too.

om...