Home brew softex experiment -- Lab Report

Old March 19th, 2004, 03:07 AM
Samuel Stump

Default Home brew softex experiment -- Lab Report

According to a post made a few weeks ago by Mike Connor, [link to post
below]
http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z2BF355C7

I tried to make up some home brew Softex. The brand of clear acrylic caulk
was DAP, regular size cartridge(~300ml). Mike's instructions mentioned
thinning it with mineral spirits or lacquer thinner. I chose mineral
spirits since the author had "not tried lacquer thinner personally."

Observation 1: it took a lot of thinner to change the consistency.

Observation 2: the stuff takes a long time to dry. I have some tests on
paper (2-3mm thick) that still have some tack to them after nearly a week.
A test of caulk straight out of the cartridge (~10mm bead) is a bit soft,
but not tacky at all. Both are beautifylly clear however.

I think something may have gone wrong. I found out that mineral spirits are
not the same the world over. For example, what we in the US call mineral
spirits, down under they call white spirits, or something like that. Could
there be a product ID problem? If not, anyone care to speculate on what
would happen if I re-did my experiment with lacquer thinner? Faster drying,
I'm betting yes. Less solvent used, not sure but leaning toward yes.

Mike, do you have any comment? Anyone?

Thanks,

Sam

Old March 19th, 2004, 04:10 AM
Mike Connor

"Samuel Stump" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
SNIP
Mike, do you have any comment? Anyone?

Thanks,

Sam

Use lacquer thinner, Nitro-thinner, MEK ( methyl ethyl ketone), or acetone.
These work with most acrylic sealants. ( They have to be solvent based of
course)It seems there is considerable difference in "white spirit". I have
had a great deal of mail feedback on this, and my tests with the solvents
mentioned have proved positive, as have others. The "spirits" type solvents
take too long to dry, even if you use the right type.

TL
MC

Old March 19th, 2004, 07:01 AM
Hooked

"Samuel Stump" wrote in message

snip

I tried to make up some home brew Softex.

snip

It would seem to me that just paying the $10 for a jar of Softex at the fly
shop would be a lot easier.

Old March 19th, 2004, 07:45 AM
Mike Connor

"Hooked" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
SNIP
I tried to make up some home brew Softex.

snip

It would seem to me that just paying the $10 for a jar of Softex at the

fly
shop would be a lot easier.

So would buying a trout at the fishmongers!

TL
MC ( Actually it is a big saving, and one can do more with the stuff).

Old March 19th, 2004, 08:11 AM
Hooked

"Mike Connor" wrote in message

So would buying a trout at the fishmongers!

Uhm...

No.

Buying a trout would not satisfy the joy of getting a trout to bite on
something made with a bunch of feathers and fur tied onto a hook, the feel
of the fish pulling on the end of the line, and the true satisfaction of
releasing it and watching swim away so that I, or some other angler could
enjoy that feeling all again someday.

Nope. Nothing at all like going through the mess and headache of trying to
make in ones kitchen, a chemical compound that is readily available at most
fly shops for a measly amount of cash.

Old March 19th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Mike Connor

"Hooked" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
SNIP
Nope. Nothing at all like going through the mess and headache of trying to
make in ones kitchen, a chemical compound that is readily available at

most
fly shops for a measly amount of cash.

I would definitely not advise trying any of this in the kitchen!

Also, I am unable to obtain Softex, as are quite a few others. It is
illegal to send such materials through the post here.( Softex contains
toluene). The last jar I got at a fly-fair, cost over fifteen dollars,
which I donīt really consider "measly". Especially as the "home-brew" only
costs a few cents, you can mix as much or as little as you like, and the
whole tube of sealant, plus the thinners, only costs a couple of dollars.
Furthermore, I can colour the stuff, use "glitter", get the exact
consistency I want, and a whole host of other things, which is difficult to
do with the original stuff.( Most especially if you donīt have any!)

Lastly, I prefer to make as much as I can myself,. be it fishing tackle or
accessories. I have been doing so for years. It is great fun, educational,
and often better that the shop bought items. At one time, none of these
things were available in shops.

TL
MC

Old March 19th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Hooked

[...]

Well, I guess if you can't get the stuff, then one must do what's necessary.
But fun? Do you like playing around with diesel fuel and fertilizer too?
(Just kidding.) I never really got into mixing up a bunch of chemicals to
see what it would produce. I always took everything apart to see how it
worked.

Old March 19th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Mike Connor

"Hooked" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
SNIP
Well, I guess if you can't get the stuff, then one must do what's

necessary.
But fun? Do you like playing around with diesel fuel and fertilizer too?
(Just kidding.) I never really got into mixing up a bunch of chemicals to
see what it would produce. I always took everything apart to see how it
worked.

Quite a long time ago now, I studied chemistry, and I always enjoyed it. I
like doing all sorts of things, especially anything even remotely connected
with fishing.

It is best not to play about with explosives unless you know exactly what
you are doing. Some are easy to make, with common chemicals, and are
relatively stable, others are a very great deal more dangerous. Simply
mixing various substances, "to see what they produce", is likely to prove a
very shortlived hobby.

TL
MC

Old March 19th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Samuel Stump

Thanks for the feedback Mike. I'll give it a try.
As far as just buying a jar of softex, you are probably right. But I too
studied a great deal of chemistry, and worked for about 5 years in a textile
chem lab. Some folks dabble in engines, or electrical systems, or
computers, and some do some chemistry. One should never just mix stuff to
see what happens. I know of several very bad reactions with only substances
found in an ordinary kitchen, bathroom or laundry room.

Thanks again,

Sam