Huh?

Old February 18th, 2011, 08:27 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

Default Huh?

Check out this video and tell me what he means at the part about 20
seconds in when he says "I'm not breaking my wrist..."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc2PQ...1&feature=fvwp

:-)
--riverman
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:50 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-02-18 03:27:58 -0500, riverman said:

Check out this video and tell me what he means at the part about 20
seconds in when he says "I'm not breaking my wrist..."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc2PQ...1&feature=fvwp

:-)
--riverman

.....means keeping it straight, aligned with the arm, not moving it up
and down. Personally my wrist moves on every cast. d;o)

I'd be much more concerned with his statement, "streamer floating on
the water." And his mending is abysmal.

Old February 18th, 2011, 12:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-02-18 03:27:58 -0500, riverman said:

Check out this video and tell me what he means at the part about 20
seconds in when he says "I'm not breaking my wrist..."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc2PQ...1&feature=fvwp

:-)
--riverman

In this video, Joan Wulff moves "breaks" her wrist in a downward motion
on the forecast, but does not break it on the backcast.

http://www.midcurrent.com/video/clip...namics_04.aspx

(Sheeeze. I'm beginning to sound/act like youknowwho!)

Dave
(aka wobbley wrist)

Old February 18th, 2011, 08:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

(aka wobbley wrist)

I completely suck at fly casting .... and wobbly wrists are only one
of my problems .. but for that one,

I find grips modified like this

http://kimshew.com/BFP/firehole04-7.jpg

help me a bit ... get the heal of the hand right over the reel and
there is much less leverage on the wrist, it's far more comfortable to
do so with cork there

I move my hand up, even onto the blank at times, for short little
flicks ( a lot of my fishing ) but back down over the added section of
cork when I want to put more power into my wind knots

brief how to: get three cork rings, glue them together, drill out the
middle to fit you real seat, cut the whole thing length wise through
the center hole, but so one piece is larger than the discarded one,
rough shape off the rod, glue to rod, carry a piece of sandpaper with
you for a long time, occasionally taking off a bit of cork until you
are happy.

I like it, YMMV for sure

Old February 18th, 2011, 11:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

On 2/18/2011 3:43 PM, Larry L wrote:

[...]

i admire the art of a good flycast. i've seen it, recognize the
mechanics of it, and appreciate the effort of the artist who can perform
it. i'll never cast with the beauty and efficiency of roger o. or gene
c. i watch some of the sal****er guys here and get discouraged about my
poor performance with a flyrod. it's a ballet, a waltz, a poem, a
novel, a painting i'll never create. at one time it was a scar i tried
to hide. now, as with some of my other imperfections and spasms of
being, i think i've come to terms with it. i'll toss a fly line passably
at times, miserably at other times...but the excitement and passion i
feel when chasing the great mystery...hell, i'm a fukkin van gogh,
cormac, cummings. i'm a first grader's fingerpainting!

jeffie
Old February 19th, 2011, 03:53 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Feb 18, 2:43*pm, Larry L wrote:
(aka wobbley wrist)

I completely suck at fly casting .... and wobbly wrists are only one
of my problems ..

This business of keeping the wrist locked in position and keeping the
elbow tight against the body may be good advice for beginners
(minimizing variables and all that), but I'm not entirely convinced.
One thing is certain, though; anyone who adheres to that advice
rigidly throughout a career of fly fishing will never be a very good
caster.....let alone a great one.

The human arm, with it three major joints, the wrist, elbow, and
shoulder allows a literally unlimited range of motion in three
dimensions, elevation, azimuth and skew will do as well as any other
names. For elevation, think of the arm held against the side with the
hand moving up and down through an arc. Azimuth refers to what is
achieved with the arm held in the same position but with the hand
moving from side to side. And skew is accomplised by holding the arm
in the same position, once again, but no change of position for the
forearm.....the wrist simply turns, which, incidentally doesn't really
involve motion in any of the joints....it's a matter of how the
muscles, bones, tendons and ligaments are attached at the wrist and
the elbow. There is more than one way to achieve each of these
motions using the various joints. The wrist alone allows nearly 180
degress of range in one plane and a bit less in a second. Which two
of the three motions depends on the orientation of the wrist, which is
in turn controlled by the other two joints. The elbow is the most
limited, allowing a substantial range of motion in only one plane.
But, like the wrist, its plane of motion is variable depending on the
position of the upper arm, controlled by the shoulder. The shoulder
is the most versatile in terms of range of motion, it can point the
upper arm to any point in a hemisphere.

Now, imagine yourself standing inside a sphere (shouldn't take much
imagination.....you ARE standing inside a sphere) holding a stick (or
a fly rod, if you prefer) just long enough to reach the inside surface
of the sphere. Using all three joints, there is no point on the
sphere you can't reach with the arm in any of several to many
different positions. Do the same experiment with your elbow held
tightly to your side and the wrist locked in any position you choose.
Comparing the results should send a very clear message.

But, of course, this isn't fly casting. Well, no, it isn't. And thus
it doesn't matter.....as long as you fish only in places and
situations in which you always cast directly in front of you in a very
limited range of distances on a nice flat piece of water with no
obstructions in front of or behind you.....and there's no wind.

Tools. Use 'em.

but for that one,

I find grips modified like this

http://kimshew.com/BFP/firehole04-7.jpg

help me a bit ... get the heal of the hand right over the reel and
there is much less leverage on the wrist, it's far more comfortable to
do so with cork there

"much less leverage" is ambiguous.....at best. Personally, I'm
inclined to the believe that it's flat out wrong.

I move my hand up, even onto the blank at times, *for short little
flicks ( a lot of my fishing ) but back down over the added section of
cork when I want to put more power into my wind knots

Whatever works.

brief how to: *get three cork rings, glue them together, drill out the
middle to fit you real seat, cut the whole thing length wise through
the center hole, but so one piece is larger than the discarded one,
rough shape off the rod, glue to rod, carry a piece of sandpaper with
you for a long time, occasionally taking off a bit of cork until you
are happy.

I like it, YMMV * for sure

It's interesting. Never gone to that extent myself, but I've done
serial modifications in the field.

giles

Old February 19th, 2011, 03:57 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Feb 18, 5:41*pm, jeff wrote:
[...]

That's the nice thing about art. It may not look good.....but it's
still art.

giles
who, now he thinks about it, has done impressionism, cubism, dadaism,
pointillism, abstract expressionism.....and a host of others with a
fly rod.
Old February 19th, 2011, 04:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

"much less leverage" is ambiguous.....at best. *Personally, I'm
inclined to the believe that it's flat out wrong.

Put a rod together and grip it as you normally would (everyone seems
to have his own grip, but, I assume your whole hand is on cork, often
towards the tip end of that cork ) and wave it back and forth ...
concentrate on feeling it trying to bend your wrist as you wave

now grip it with the heal of your hand over the reel on the reel seat
( i.e. grip as close to the butt as possible still using all your
fingers ... my little finger is actually touching the front of the
reel and is behind the cork, under the rod ) .... wave it back and
forth, feeling as above

If you don't feel a clear difference in the amount the rod tries to
bend your wrist .... what I have called less leverage ... then you
certainly wouldn't like the modification I do to grips ..... which
just adds cork where I want the heel of my hand and cork doesn't
normally exist

FWIW, this is not my idea, I saw it on a website 8 or 10 years ago ...
tried it on my stillwater rod ( the one I want power with, most
often ) and have added it to all my rods except the 2 wt ... There
is/ was a fly shop somewhere offering new Sage rods with a grip like
this, custom made ... can't find a link in my bookmarks ...

Old February 19th, 2011, 04:14 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Feb 18, 10:11*pm, Larry L wrote:
[...]

I have no problem with the idea. As I said, if it works, do it.

But the less leverage part is wrong.

I've held many a fly rod in many ways.....but I also know how a lever
works.

g.