Spinning Reels and Sal****er

Old November 12th, 2006, 10:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
[email protected]

Default Spinning Reels and Sal****er

I'm out on the Texas gulf coast now and I have a couple of rods and
reels that have spinning reels and have been stored in the attic for
quite a few years now. They feel quite smooth and fluid despite their
storage since they were well taken care of during the time they were in
use.

My friend who happens to be a very good fisherman tells me that for
salt water maintenance on these reels, I should take the reel off the
rod, take the spool off the reel, and submerge both the reel and the
spool in a bowl of fresh tap water over night, let dry throughly, then
use gun oil to lube afterwards.

Now his reels all feel great, but having worked on many cars and being
mechanically inclined, it's common water to me that water plus oil
equals mechanical failure. It just strikes me a little funny to
submerge them in water that long.

Is the internal gearing of spinning reels sealed from outside water and
it's ok to submerge them in clean fresh water ?

Is my friend correct in his reel maintenance or is there a better
method anyone here can recommend ?

Thanks.

Old November 12th, 2006, 10:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
daytripper

On 12 Nov 2006 14:22:05 -0800, wrote:

[...]

There's precious little in common between automobiles and reels.
I'd follow your friend's advise.

When I'm fishing the salt I take a wide-mouth thermos jug filled with fresh
water in the car, and as soon as I get the boat back on the trailer the reels
go in the thermos for the ride home. At home the reels are disassembled and
allowed to dry, then the bearings are relubed and the reels reassembled.

I've never had to replace a reel...

/daytripper
Old November 12th, 2006, 11:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
David H. Lipman

From: "daytripper"

| There's precious little in common between automobiles and reels.
| I'd follow your friend's advise.
|
| When I'm fishing the salt I take a wide-mouth thermos jug filled with fresh
| water in the car, and as soon as I get the boat back on the trailer the reels
| go in the thermos for the ride home. At home the reels are disassembled and
| allowed to dry, then the bearings are relubed and the reels reassembled.
|
| I've never had to replace a reel...
|
| /daytripper

I spray the rod and reel down with the garden hose when I come of the beach and then I
shake/tamp off the excess water and wipe with a dry cloth.

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old December 5th, 2006, 09:34 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
[email protected]

Hello Guy's,
Well, since they have been sitting awhile I would first take them apart
and wipe off with a dry soft cloth , check your parts for any nicks
check gear parts very good should be real smooth, My hubby uses penn
reels open face and he likes that Penn oil you can buy fishing tackle
unlimited has it ask at the back counter if you cannot find it , think
academy has it also. , I have seen my hubby Capt.Bill ,take a 5 gallon
bucket between trips and soak his reels in soapy water nothing added
just soap and water, Left overnight and rinsed really good before his
trip the next morning , his rod and reels are his tools, then uses
again, when he has a couple days break between trips he takes each one
apart and cleans and oils, He made up a small kit to keep up with with
xtra parts handles xtra gears and such for quick access. Not sure
about motor oil I haven't seen that done , I would just go buy the oil
to be safe never seen bill use motor oil on his reel and rods.
Remember if you don't want them to let you down take care of them the
right way ,
Happy fishing
Happy Holidays
Lynn and master captain Bill Curry