Stinger Hook is Not Allowed in Minnesota?

Old August 28th, 2006, 03:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
[email protected]

Default Stinger Hook is Not Allowed in Minnesota?

I was reading the fishing regulation of Minnesota, and I came across
this section called "Angling Methods" under "General Regulation":

Anglers may use only one hook. An artificial lure
is considered one hook. A treble hook, when not part
of an artificial lure, is considered three hooks and
is not legal. The exception is three artificial flies
may be used when angling for trout, crappie, sunfish,
and rock bass.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/reg...ishing2006.pdf

Does this mean that I cannot attach a stinger hook to a jig? I don't
think I have come across this rule in other states. Is this common in
other states? No, I am not asking whether there should or should not
have this rule; I am just asking to know if this is something that I
should watch out for if I go to a different state for fishing.

Thanks for any info in advance.

Jay Chan

Old August 28th, 2006, 04:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Del Cecchi

wrote:
[...]

a stinger hook is considered part of the lure. Likewise a nightcrawler
harness with a spinner blade is considered a lure. At least that is
what I believe is the rule.

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,
Old August 28th, 2006, 07:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
daytripper

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:06:43 -0500, Del Cecchi

[...]

Erring on the side of prosecution-avoidance, I'd consider any hook that wasn't
part of the original, as-packaged lure to fall into the teeth of the
regulation. Be careful out there...
Old August 29th, 2006, 03:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
[email protected]

daytripper wrote:
[...]

Seem like I will have to go there and ask the people in the local
fishing store to find out.

Strangely, the author of a Minnesota fishing book suggested adding a
stinger hook to a jig in case the fish bites short. I guess that
author might be violating the regulation in his state without knowing
this.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Jay Chan

Old August 29th, 2006, 11:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Sully

wrote:
[...]

The law is a bit vague in MN. A stinger hook on a jig is fine; tons of
them are sold at every sporting goods location. Spinner rigs with 2 or 3
hooks are also fine. Sold everywhere. No problem.
Sully
Old August 30th, 2006, 04:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
[email protected]

Sully wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the re-assuring info. I guess I will be able to use a
stinger hook then.

Jay Chan