Advice Pls - Ocean fishing from shore...

Old July 7th, 2005, 04:04 AM
Eric

Default Advice Pls - Ocean fishing from shore...

I'm heading up to Powell River British Columbia next week and plan to
do some fishing from the shore. I'll be after salmon but anything
would be great.

I have a 10'6" Omni Mooching Rod I plan to use - Is there any problem
with this?

I don't have a reel for it so if you could recommend a make and model
that is right casting, that would be great. I'm looking for
durability, low maintenance and best-bang-for-the-buck quality. I
expect to load it with 30 lbs test, ok?

Any lure suggestions? I'll be using spoons and buzz bombs and I've
read that plugs can be used.

I've not done this before so any and all advice is appreciated.

thanks a lot
Eric
Old July 7th, 2005, 04:50 AM
David H. Lipman

From: "Eric"

| I'm heading up to Powell River British Columbia next week and plan to
| do some fishing from the shore. I'll be after salmon but anything
| would be great.
|
| I have a 10'6" Omni Mooching Rod I plan to use - Is there any problem
| with this?
|
| I don't have a reel for it so if you could recommend a make and model
| that is right casting, that would be great. I'm looking for
| durability, low maintenance and best-bang-for-the-buck quality. I
| expect to load it with 30 lbs test, ok?
|
| Any lure suggestions? I'll be using spoons and buzz bombs and I've
| read that plugs can be used.
|
| I've not done this before so any and all advice is appreciated.
|
| thanks a lot
| Eric

I use a 12' carbon fiber rod. This way I don't get tired as quickly. It is a Diawa
Eliminator.
!0.5' is a good size to start but realize that a 10'+ rod that is tubular fiberglass can be
heavily and can wear you down. The Diawa Eliminator I use is a ultra-light surf rod.

I use a Daiwa Regal-X 6000-T salt water class spinning reel and can be used by Lefties or
Righties. I have a few and I think they are are well priced and last. I use 17lb. Stren
line on the reel but I use 40lb. camouflaged leader material and varies in colour from red
to clear to green along it length. I cut it to desired about 36 ~ 40 inches in length. I
tie a loop knot on both ends of the leader with one smaller than the other. The smaller
loop goes through and around a barrel swivel. The larger loop goes through and around a
snap. The snap connects to the eye of the of the spoon or plug. I tie a palomar knot on
the other end of the barrel with the fishing line.

Krocodile and Gator spoons (my favorites) and Hopkins hammerd and Kastmaster lures are good.
Another is the Crippled Herring. Another good lure to use are Popper Plugs. The process of
casting and retrieving a the spoon (I use 2 ~ 2.25 oz. spoons) is calling "squidding."

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old July 8th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Eric

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 03:50:22 GMT, "David H. Lipman"

From: "Eric"

| I'm heading up to Powell River British Columbia next week and plan to
| do some fishing from the shore. I'll be after salmon but anything
| would be great.
|
| I have a 10'6" Omni Mooching Rod I plan to use - Is there any problem
| with this?
|
| I don't have a reel for it so if you could recommend a make and model
| that is right casting, that would be great. I'm looking for
| durability, low maintenance and best-bang-for-the-buck quality. I
| expect to load it with 30 lbs test, ok?
|
| Any lure suggestions? I'll be using spoons and buzz bombs and I've
| read that plugs can be used.
|
| I've not done this before so any and all advice is appreciated.
|
| thanks a lot
| Eric

I use a 12' carbon fiber rod. This way I don't get tired as quickly. It is a Diawa
Eliminator.
!0.5' is a good size to start but realize that a 10'+ rod that is tubular fiberglass can be
heavily and can wear you down. The Diawa Eliminator I use is a ultra-light surf rod.

I use a Daiwa Regal-X 6000-T salt water class spinning reel and can be used by Lefties or
Righties. I have a few and I think they are are well priced and last. I use 17lb. Stren
line on the reel but I use 40lb. camouflaged leader material and varies in colour from red
to clear to green along it length. I cut it to desired about 36 ~ 40 inches in length. I
tie a loop knot on both ends of the leader with one smaller than the other. The smaller
loop goes through and around a barrel swivel. The larger loop goes through and around a
snap. The snap connects to the eye of the of the spoon or plug. I tie a palomar knot on
the other end of the barrel with the fishing line.

Krocodile and Gator spoons (my favorites) and Hopkins hammerd and Kastmaster lures are good.
Another is the Crippled Herring. Another good lure to use are Popper Plugs. The process of
casting and retrieving a the spoon (I use 2 ~ 2.25 oz. spoons) is calling "squidding."

Awesome! thanks for all the info. I have a couple questions...

1) The reel you mention, I couldn't find pictures or a good
description on-line, does it have plastic exterior parts? I've seen
one regal x that has a plastic part holding the cage - it broke when
dropped.

2) You mention 17lb Stren then 40lb leader. I thought the idea is to
use a lighter leader line. - I must not understand something here.

3) Do you prefer barrel swivels to ball bearing swivels? Are they
better for the lures used when casting? I would think with all the
reeling going on it's more important to prevent twists - aren't
bearing swivels better for this? any idea?

4) thanks again

Eric
Old July 8th, 2005, 09:52 PM
David H. Lipman

From: "Eric"

Replies are inline...

| Awesome! thanks for all the info. I have a couple questions...
|
| 1) The reel you mention, I couldn't find pictures or a good
| description on-line, does it have plastic exterior parts? I've seen
| one regal x that has a plastic part holding the cage - it broke when
| dropped.

I don't see plastic on mine. Just anodized aluminum.

I have had mine for years w/o problems so I haven't needed to get new ones. I have the box
in front of me which states "Model No. RG-X600T" I went to the web site and couldn't find my
model, but I did find new similar models.
You know how companies are always changing model numbers, etc... ;-)

Here is a picture thats looks close to what I have...
http://www.daiwa.com/tackle/reels/sp...c_rgz2500t.gif

Kastor - 4 ball and roller bearings
http://www.daiwa.com/tackle/reels/spin-sw/ka/index.html

http://www.usangler.com/product.cfm?...iwa&type=Reels

Laguna - 6 ball and roller bearings
http://www.daiwa.com/tackle/reels/spin-sw/la/index.html

http://www.usangler.com/product.cfm?...iwa&type=Reels

Here's the rod model I use - EL-S1202MHRS
http://www.daiwa.com/tackle/rods/sw/els/index.html

| 2) You mention 17lb Stren then 40lb leader. I thought the idea is to
| use a lighter leader line. - I must not understand something here.

Light line, heavy leader. Many of the target fish have teeth and you want to keep the lure
as long as possible (lost lures equals lost money and time wasted re-rigging). If you use a
heavy line and light leader then nicks, scratches and fish teeth will reduce the test
strength of the leader and thus you'll loose the lure quickly. A light line and heavy
leader will allow you to catch fish w/o as much trouble. However, you need to "run your
fingers" along the leader after catching fish or after a few dozen casts to make sure the
line is not nicked or scratched. Some fisherpeople will use metal leaders. Silver coloured
or black. However, I find the fish "see" the leader and are detracted from hitting the lure
as easily and the leader reduces the action of the lure. The camouflaged leader colour
variations makes it harder for the fish to see and it doesn't change the lure's action like
metal leader.

Here's what I use -- 40# Camo 50Yds.
http://www.usangler.com/product.cfm?...Fish&type=Line

| 3) Do you prefer barrel swivels to ball bearing swivels? Are they
| better for the lures used when casting? I would think with all the
| reeling going on it's more important to prevent twists - aren't
| bearing swivels better for this? any idea?

I prefer barrel swivels. Their simpler and the idea is to keep it simple. Having a barrel
will reduce twisting and the reel I suggest uses what Daiwa calls "Twist Buster -
http://www.daiwa.com/tackle/features/tb/ " to reduce twisting on the reel. I doubt that a
bearing swivels does any better in this equipment range.

| 4) thanks again
|
| Eric

Anytime Eric.

Tight Lines !