The upside-down fly pattern

Old February 7th, 2007, 04:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Da

Default The upside-down fly pattern

Today I have read an article about the upside-down fly design. Has any
one ever tied this pattern? Could you please share about your upside-
down fly pattern?

http://www.versacorp.cn
Blog: http://www.versacorp.cn/default.asp

Old February 7th, 2007, 05:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
salmobytes

On Feb 7, 9:13 am, "Da" wrote:
Today I have read an article about the upside-down fly design. Has any
one ever tied this pattern? Could you please share about your upside-
down fly pattern?

.....never heard of an upside down fly before.
What article did you read?
Where was the article?

Old February 7th, 2007, 05:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

salmobytes wrote:
"Da" wrote:
Today I have read an article about the upside-down fly design. Has any
one ever tied this pattern? Could you please share about your upside-
down fly pattern?

....never heard of an upside down fly before.
What article did you read?
Where was the article?

He could be talking about the Waterwisp.

http://www.waterwisp.com/

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old February 7th, 2007, 05:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Feb 7, 11:13 am, "Da" wrote:
Today I have read an article about the upside-down fly design. Has any
one ever tied this pattern? Could you please share about your upside-
down fly pattern?

http://www.versacorp.cn
Blog:http://www.versacorp.cn/default.asp

One of my favorite fly pattern's is an upside down parachute adams
like fly that i call the reverse adams. To tie it is simple; put your
fly in the vice upside down, that is, with the point up and the shank
down, then tie the typical fly patern on the high side of the hook.
when finished the fly's parachute will hold the point from spinning
back down into the water. the fly sits on the water with the hook
point in the air.
enjoy, its one of my favorites for brookies

Old February 7th, 2007, 06:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"salmobytes" wrote

....never heard of an upside down fly before.
What article did you read?
Where was the article?

there are several variations out there ... all designed to keep the bend of
the hook up during the float. FWIW, all the ones I've tried sucked every
place except in the vise and in pictures, poor hookers, poor floaters.

Old February 7th, 2007, 06:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
salmobytes

One of my favorite fly pattern's is an upside down parachute adams
like fly that i call the reverse adams.

..........ahhhhh. A Parachute with a hook that points up.
Makes great logical sense. I tried it, many years ago, and
what I tied had a tendency to land upside down, or to
land on its side. So I abandoned it.

Seems to work for you, however.

Old February 7th, 2007, 08:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jules

On Feb 7, 1:53 pm, "salmobytes" wrote:
One of my favorite fly pattern's is an upside down parachute adams
like fly that i call the reverse adams.

.........ahhhhh. A Parachute with a hook that points up.
Makes great logical sense. I tried it, many years ago, and
what I tied had a tendency to land upside down, or to
land on its side. So I abandoned it.

Seems to work for you, however.

If your post (middle of parachute, typically calf tail) is long
enough, and the hackle your using is long enough it will stay floating
the right way. its good for light hitting fish, because the hook is
already pointing up, so you hook them right on the nose.
jules, see you on the water.

Old February 8th, 2007, 02:17 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
vincent p. norris

Today I have read an article about the upside-down fly design. Has any
one ever tied this pattern?

Brian Clarke and John Goddard, Brits, in their book The Trout and the
Fly, discuss this fly design at length and provide illustrated
step-by-step tying instructions.

There was also did a program on Public Television (in the USA) titled
"Educated Trout" in which they did the same.

vince
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:25 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 17:23:22 GMT, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

salmobytes wrote:
"Da" wrote:
Today I have read an article about the upside-down fly design. Has any
one ever tied this pattern? Could you please share about your upside-
down fly pattern?

....never heard of an upside down fly before.
What article did you read?
Where was the article?

He could be talking about the Waterwisp.

http://www.waterwisp.com/

I didn't see, so I didn't follow his link, and have no intention of
looking for it, but simply from the information at hand, I suspect he
may be talking about keel flies...there was at least one book in the 70s
about these...I've "tied" (really, made - it's more that a tie) snagless
Sallies for bass this way. Keels are a special-purpose fly/lure, on a
special hook, and unless recipe supports it and the reason is there,
there's, um, well, no reason. And in fact, simply tying any ol' fly
upside down can take a decent recipe and **** it up.

TC,
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On 7 Feb 2007 12:18:37 -0800, "jules" wrote:

On Feb 7, 1:53 pm, "salmobytes" wrote:
One of my favorite fly pattern's is an upside down parachute adams
like fly that i call the reverse adams.

.........ahhhhh. A Parachute with a hook that points up.
Makes great logical sense. I tried it, many years ago, and
what I tied had a tendency to land upside down, or to
land on its side. So I abandoned it.

Seems to work for you, however.

If your post (middle of parachute, typically calf tail) is long
enough, and the hackle your using is long enough it will stay floating
the right way. its good for light hitting fish, because the hook is
already pointing up, so you hook them right on the nose.
jules, see you on the water.

On the nose, huh? Well, the joke will be on you if they are wearing
those fake nose-and-glasses things...