Which FishFinder / depth finder to buy?

Old June 11th, 2004, 02:10 PM
GeneS

Default Which FishFinder / depth finder to buy?

What is the best fish finder for the money today?

I really do not need much more than the ability to
"accurately" determine depth at speeds up to 20
miles per hour. GPS and fish locator would be nice,
but not really needed. I simply want a good, "low
cost" depth finder.

What make & model?
Where is the best place to buy it?

THANKS,
Gene

Old June 11th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Charles Summers

I think the concensus here is Garmin, and the best prices I have found
anywhere is http://www.planetgps.net

Sure, they sell alot of GPS units, but they have great prices on fish
finders too!

Old June 11th, 2004, 04:23 PM

For more features -- look closely at Garmin. But if all you want is
depth: there are several gauges that just give a digital depth read out.
They list for $50 - $100 but you can often find them on eBay dirt cheap.

I run one in addition to my other finders with a low water alarm set to
about 3 feet.

Old June 11th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Jeff Durham

I have had good luck with Eagle. You might want to consider one with a
temperature readout if that is important to you. The FishEasy 2T is an
older model that sold for about $120-$140? I have seen the newer Eagle
Fishmark 320 in Bass Pro for $150 with the 400 being $200. The difference
is the resolution. The website seems to have a higher price than the actual
in store price.

Jeff

Old June 11th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Jeff Durham

I stand corrected about the price mismatch. The website has the Fishmark
320 for $149 which is what you can purchase that unit for in the store.

Jeff

Old June 12th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Rich Pierro

I own and like the Eagle 320 and I'm sure the 400 is even nicer. I don't
think you can do much better for the price.

Rich P

Old June 12th, 2004, 06:23 PM
GeneS

I have to agree, the 320 looks great.
Geesh - so many choices & options!

I think I'll make a chart & try & figure out if there is a less
expensive model that will give just as accurate depth info.
It's hard to determine which features are the most important,
MHz, degree of angle, boat speed, etc....

THANKS for all the kind assistance from all:-)

Gene

Old June 13th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Richard Rodgers

I upgraded to the Eagle 480. It remembers the last settings after you
turn the unit off. It also is as detailed as an old paper graph I
have. You can see bait fish under this unit.

$200.00 at Basspro

Old June 14th, 2004, 01:47 AM
Richard Liebert

I have an Eagle 480 on my bow. It works great and has good screen resolution
in the sun. Go the $200 if ya got it. I got mine at Cabelas. The salesmen
told me it was his favorite for tournament fishing. I believed him.

Old June 14th, 2004, 01:48 AM
Richard Liebert

PS - Cabelas had a special recently whereby you got a free cover along with
your regular purchase.The cover looked nice.