splicng shooting head.

Old June 20th, 2005, 05:15 AM
Bill McKee

Default splicng shooting head.

Last shad trip, I get the rod out of the tube, and the shooting head is in 2
pieces. Had to have got caught on something and the probably the tip and
butt sections pinched it. How do I splice it? Tied a couple of uni knots,
but they would hang in the eyes at times, Will get a new shooting head, but
need a better knot to salvage a trip sometime.

Old June 20th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Don Phillipson

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
ink.net...

Last shad trip, I get the rod out of the tube, and the shooting head is in

2
pieces. Had to have got caught on something and the probably the tip and
butt sections pinched it. How do I splice it? Tied a couple of uni

knots,
but they would hang in the eyes at times, Will get a new shooting head,

but
need a better knot to salvage a trip sometime.

It is a common sense procedure (easier with
the right tools and materials.)
1. Remove plastic coating from both ends
for at least 1 cm or half an inch. Acetone or
another solvent may be needed.
2. Unweave line textile until it looks like a
paintbrush, every strand separate, both ends.
3. Place line fragments together and mix
the fine ends with enough adhesive to hold
them together.
4. Whip finish to cover the whole interval
between plastic line coating.
5. Waterproof the whip finish with appropriate
adhesive or other coating. Let dry. Polish it slick.
6. Test strength of the splice before use.
It needs to be stronger than any tippet.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old June 22nd, 2005, 05:43 AM
Bill McKee

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
"Bill McKee" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

I am looking for a knot to tie it for the day, while on the water. I
normally do not carry acetone, etc when fishing.
Bill

Old June 22nd, 2005, 08:19 AM
rw

Bill McKee wrote:

I am looking for a knot to tie it for the day, while on the water. I
normally do not carry acetone, etc when fishing.
Bill

Maybe you don't normally carry acetone, etc, but what about in
exceptional circumstances? :-)

I don't what knot is recommended for tying two pieces of flyline
together "on the water", especially if the break is in the fat part (and
I know a lot of knots). You could make two whipped loops on each end,
using whatever monofilament tippet you have available. It would suck,
but maybe it would suck less than anything else.

BTW, if you're posting the question to ROFF I assume you aren't on the
water.

Old June 22nd, 2005, 08:52 AM
Sandy Birrell

Bill McKee wrote:

I am looking for a knot to tie it for the day, while on the water.
I normally do not carry acetone, etc when fishing.
Bill

Get some hollow braid backing line and carry that with some of the clear
tubing you get with braided loops, or even just some tying thread to lock
the ends, and cut a length and use that to splice the two pieces together.
Feed the two ends up as close together as you can to eliminate hinging.
That should keep you fishing till you get home and do a permanent splice.

--

Don`t Worry, Be Happy
Sandy

Old June 22nd, 2005, 05:44 PM
Peter

I am looking for a knot to tie it for the day, while on the water. I
normally do not carry acetone, etc when fishing.
Bill

Quick field repair of a cut fly line:

Take about a foot of tippet, 2X or 3X will do.

Make an overhand knot in the middle.

Put about an inch and a half of the broken end of the fly line into the
overhand knot and pull it as tight as you can.

Then grasp the tippet tag ends in one hand, the fly line in the other,
and yank hard. This will strip the fly line coating off the core.

Repeat for the other broken end.

Tie a double surgenon's knot joining the two core ends together. Snug
the knot up to the ends of the coating so as as to reduce as much as
possible, the distance between the ends of the coating.

If you have any knot glue with you like Loon Knot Sense, coat the
double surgeon's knot and the rest of the exposed core to seal it and
to smooth it out.

When you get home, whip finish it to smooth it down and eliminate
hinging.

Peter

Old June 22nd, 2005, 06:21 PM
Wolfgang

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
ink.net...
Last shad trip, I get the rod out of the tube, and the shooting head is in
2 pieces. Had to have got caught on something and the probably the tip
and butt sections pinched it. How do I splice it?...

Leader link.

http://www.hotspotfishing.com/public...s/fish-254.asp

Wolfgang