Camping stuff

Old November 2nd, 2004, 12:24 AM
Larry L

Default Camping stuff

Well, my camping has been in two, very different styles. (1)When I was
young ...backpacking and mountaineering, bivy bags, MSR stoves, etc (2) For
my business and in my current not young state .. travel trailer, TV,
microwave, generator, shower, etc

But, each of the last few summers I've wanted to go visit a stream(s) where
taking the trailer was too big a pain, or no place to park it exists. And
my bivy bag days are long gone ... comfort is priority #1 for this old
grump.

So, I'm thinking of getting a minimal amount of in-between "car camping"
gear so that I can leave the trailer and go stay in the Slough Creek
campground ( example) for a night or two and thus make the FDR ( fishing to
driving ratio ) reasonable. I have plenty of storage room in my truck, but
I'd like suggestions on what I need to consider getting and taking to be
reasonably comfortable in tent camping mode.

Fellow roffians ( ok I'm just a fringe roffian, but you get the idea ) how
about a car/tent camping check list? Be specific if a particular brand/
type of item is preferred

Old November 2nd, 2004, 02:07 AM
Wolfgang

"Larry L" wrote in message
[...]

Coleman's two burner gasoline stove is still the best I've seen for camp
cooking. A lot of people prefer the newer propane models. John told me a
couple of weeks ago in NC that he refills his propane tanks, thus
eliminating one of my major objections to them, but others remain. Propane
cylinders don't deliver fuel very well at below freezing temperatures. And
I've never seen a propane burning stove that puts out the heat of gasoline
models. Gasoline.....despite the recent rape of the American consumer....is
also still cheaper than propane. I used one of the gasoline models for
thirty-five years, until it was lost somehow.....it still worked
beautifully.

Coleman also makes excellent gasoline fueled lamps that put out a LOT of
light and burn for a long time.

As long as weight isn't a consideration, you can't beat cast iron for
cookware. It's virtually indestructible, cheap, thick enough to minimize
hot spots, and you can cook directly in the campfire if necessary or
desirable. Lodge makes a very diverse line of high quality cast iron
cookware. At the very least, you should have a cast iron Dutch oven....the
model with the flat top with a raised edge. These are designed specifically
to cook in a bed of hot coals.....the raised rim on the lid makes it
possible to heap coals on top. This makes it ideal for baking.

Wolfgang

Old November 2nd, 2004, 02:12 AM
Bob Patton

"Larry L" wrote in message
//snip//
So, I'm thinking of getting a minimal amount of in-between "car camping"
gear so that I can leave the trailer and go stay in the Slough Creek
campground ( example) for a night or two and thus make the FDR ( fishing
to driving ratio ) reasonable. I have plenty of storage room in my
truck, but I'd like suggestions on what I need to consider getting and
taking to be reasonably comfortable in tent camping mode.

I have an Outdoor Research bivy sack that I use when backpacking, and it's
fine but it ain't the most comfortable thing since the Ritz Carlton. I also
use a 3/4 length Thermarest pad with the bivy sack. Together they're really
light and allow me to carry more flyfishing gear and less camping gear.

But if you can avoid backpacking and only haul the stuff from your car to
the site, like I did at the anti-clave a couple of weeks ago, here's what
I'd take:

1. Get a two-person tent. I have a Kelty (forget the item name) that cost
about $75 and it's just right for one person. It has a little vestibule
where you can keep your boots without having to bring them into the tent
proper, and that's important.

2. beer

3. a THICK foam pad to put on top of the thermarest

3. beer

4. a backpacking stove. I have a Coleman "Peak 1" butane/propane backpack
stove that puts out 10,000 BTUs, but it has to be lit with a match. If you
can get one with a piezo lighter that doesn't require matches that'd be much
better. I've tried stoves that use "white gas" or similar, and this stove
is much better. No more spilt fuel and having to pump up the pressure. I
used to have a Primus backpacking stove that I liked better than the
Coleman, but it disappeared at Snowbird under very mysterious circumstances.

5. beer

6. I have a Primus backpacking lamp that runs off the same fuel as the
stove. Puts out plenty of light for one person to read by.

7. Wild Turkey

8. pots etc., in a net bag. The net bag can be used to put the beer in, then
put in the creek to cool it.

The tent, together with the thermarest and the foam pad, are surprisingly
comfortable. Also, I've found that the dehydrated meals sold in outdoor
stores can be pretty good. A bit high in salt, but can really hit the spot
after a long day. Most of them say they serve two, which makes an ample meal
for one.

Bob

Old November 2nd, 2004, 02:21 AM
Bob Patton

"Wolfgang" wrote in message
//snip// Coleman's two burner gasoline stove is still the best I've seen
for camp cooking. A lot of people prefer the newer propane models. John
told me a couple of weeks ago in NC that he refills his propane tanks,
thus eliminating one of my major objections to them, but others remain.
Propane cylinders don't deliver fuel very well at below freezing
temperatures. And I've never seen a propane burning stove that puts out
the heat of gasoline models. Gasoline.....despite the recent rape of the
American consumer....is also still cheaper than propane. I used one of
the gasoline models for thirty-five years, until it was lost
somehow.....it still worked beautifully.

I also have a Coleman two-burner, and it's good if you're cooking for more
than one. I've tried both gasoline and butane/propane, and I like the newer
ones better. The butane/propane mix puts out a LOT of heat, and is easy to
control with no worry about spilling fuel. But Wolfgang is right about cold
weather. Also, in moist weather the propane/butane canister will develop a
layer of ice as it cools during use.

Coleman also makes excellent gasoline fueled lamps that put out a LOT of
light and burn for a long time.

As long as weight isn't a consideration, you can't beat cast iron for
cookware. It's virtually indestructible, cheap, thick enough to minimize
hot spots, and you can cook directly in the campfire if necessary or
desirable. Lodge makes a very diverse line of high quality cast iron
cookware. At the very least, you should have a cast iron Dutch
oven....the model with the flat top with a raised edge. These are
designed specifically to cook in a bed of hot coals.....the raised rim on
the lid makes it possible to heap coals on top. This makes it ideal for
baking.

That is very good advice. If weight is not a consideration, you can't beat
cast iron. But Wolfgang enjoys cooking almost as much as I enjoy fishing.
And he's good at it, which I ain't.

Bob

Old November 2nd, 2004, 03:08 AM
rw

Wolfgang wrote:

Coleman's two burner gasoline stove is still the best I've seen for camp
cooking. A lot of people prefer the newer propane models. John told me a
couple of weeks ago in NC that he refills his propane tanks, thus
eliminating one of my major objections to them, but others remain.

You can buy an adapter (approx. $25) that lets you hook an ordinary
propane tank to your two-burner Coleman stove. That stove isn't exactly
backpacking equipment. There's no excuse to throwing away those little
green tanks.