Tough finish for sea rods???

Old November 3rd, 2005, 12:12 PM
dwdw1

Default Tough finish for sea rods???

I'm rebuilding a sea rod and I 've tried the conventional varnish
finshes, but they seem very prone to deep scratches and chips when I'm
anywhere near a sea wall. (ok I'm clumsy). Any ideas for a tough
finish?
cheers
DW

Old November 3rd, 2005, 03:14 PM
Ian D

On 3 Nov 2005 04:12:09 -0800, "dwdw1" wrote:

I'm rebuilding a sea rod and I 've tried the conventional varnish
finshes, but they seem very prone to deep scratches and chips when I'm
anywhere near a sea wall. (ok I'm clumsy). Any ideas for a tough
finish?

A two part epoxy varnish is about as tough as you can get, but even
that's not impervious to scratches.
It's also a bugger to apply (use fingers, not a brush) and even more
difficult to dry properly. A rod turning rig is just about essential
if you want to avoid blemishes.
Personally I don't bother with a varnish finish, but just use
something like Armorall or other car dasboard renovators after
treating (very carefully) with wet and dry. You can't get a high gloss
finish, but it's acceptable as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers
Ian D
Old November 4th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Handy Andy

Where rod-rests are a pain or impractical, rod scratching / ring busting
can be a problem, piers / jetties etc. I use a length of that foam water
pipe insulation over me rod at the appropriate place. About 6 to 9 inches
either slid up the rod if you leave it 'whole' or split it up the pre-cut
and hold in place with lazzyband or velcro strap. When not in use - I
slide / store those poly/foam floats in them in me box.
I made a rod-rotator from an old microwave plate turner motor - they
rotate at about 3 times a minute - great !!! a simple wooden stand (heavy
piece of old kitchen worktop and simple pine scrap uprights) and a short
length 2" of 1/4" rubber petrol pipe (found in fuel filter kits)connects
to a 4" length of 1/4" alloy ? rod - with a wine cork; suitably shaped; to
duck tape the rod to. A simple piece of polyfoam (packing) with V notch
to suppert the other end does the trick. Take care - the motors are 240V
mains !! Plug n play.
Two-part whipping poxy is the way to go - use a hair dryer to make it go
watery and spead evenly - apply a very little often to get the best
finish. Ok, at about £9 a throw it's not cheap - but gives a tough and
pro finish to your whippings ... Do not touch for at least 12 hours - it
is sticky stuff - and dont put it in the bag for at least a day after that

Old November 4th, 2005, 02:12 PM
dwdw1

Thanks very much for advice and suggestions - I'm using an old crodless
drill as a rod turner, and that seems to work ok so far.
cheers
DW

Old November 5th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Colin Sloanes

Hi

you can use a good car wax polish (turtle wax polish with polymers is good)
or a car laquer instead of epoxy. If you use epoxy run a lit candle along
the rod as you turn, the extra heat will make the epoxy go off quicker.

regards,
colin
oups.com...