Slow down

Old May 1st, 2004, 01:11 PM
alwaysfishking

Default Slow down

One of my biggest problems fishing for bass is my inability to slow down. In
Florida, you didn't really have much of a choice as that's how most of the
bites were coming, on very slow presentations, yes some did well fishing
fast but most caught the fish fishing slow.

Decided today was the day to fish slow. Air temp this morning was about 50
degrees and winds at 15-25 mph on the lake. I took two rods a spinner and a
baitcaster and a bag of hooks and two bags of worms. Figured if I didn't
have the rods, tackle and such I had no choice but to fish slower. 3 casts
into my morning produced a short ugly toothy critter, well at least it's a
fish

About a dozen or so casts later and me fighting the wind I caught my first
and best of 4 bass this morning, a nice three pounder, just lifting and
letting the worm drop back down. The other three were in the 1-2 lb range,
and a nice crappie that went about a pound. All in all a good morning for
two hours on the puddle pusher. Tomorrow, I'm bringing nothing but
crankbaits, maybe I'll have some luck with those, as they are another lure I
don't really do well with. Just trying to build some confidence with
something different than a fluke or a senko.

Randy-

Old May 1st, 2004, 06:44 PM
Brad Coovert

Randy, that's a good way to learn to fish groups of baits you're not too
familiar with or confident in. Take nothing but those baits and the rods
needed for them when you head to the lake. In a days fishing, you will learn
how to use those baits in about every possible way in order to catch fish that
day.

Brad Coovert
2003 Angler of the Year, Greenfield Bassmasters
http://www.greenfieldbassmasters.com

Old May 1st, 2004, 07:54 PM
alwaysfishking

That's the objective this year. I did not re-up in my bass club and I am not
joining any new club until next season, This year is about fun and learning,
and maybe a few open buddy tourneys : )

Old May 1st, 2004, 10:28 PM
go-bassn

Why weren't you getting that (fun & learning) out of your bass club Randy?

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com

Old May 1st, 2004, 11:00 PM
alwaysfishking

Well I can't say I didn't have any fun, I did, but the clubs location made
making meetings and being involved unrealistic at best. I've learned more
taking advice off of here then I ever did during any tourneys with the club.
I wanted to be in the same club with Harry but considering the tourney
locations, I didn't get a chance to fish many of them. Not anyone's fault,
just need to be involved with something more local. My main priority this
year is saving for a boat and fishing like I use to, just to trick that
little green beauty into biting a rubber worm. My wife on the other hand
knows that me getting a real boat will be like adding another football
season, but she is real good about it because she knows what fishing means
to me. I am trying to expand by using different lures and presentations that
I have not had much luck with in the past. Mainly because I don't fish them
enough. I fished today and left the senko box at home. I actually caught
fish too!!!

Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:02 AM
Thundercat

On Sat, 1 May 2004 17:28:28 -0400, "go-bassn"
wrote:

Why weren't you getting that (fun & learning) out of your bass club Randy?

Warren

Give me a ring Warren and I can hip you to some insights into why this
may be my last year in this club also. All I ever really learned from
being in this club is that Brooklyn Bill is one hell of a guy and I
really need to get my own boat as soon as financially feasible.

Harry J aka Thundercat
Brooklyn Bill's Tackle Shop Fishing Team
http://www.geocities.com/brooklynbill2003/products.html
Share the knowledge, compete on execution.

Old May 3rd, 2004, 01:59 AM
Brad Coovert

really need to get my own boat as soon as financially feasible.

I second that.

After a couple of years of being a non-boater, I realized that I could not fish
up to my potential from the back of the boat. I caught fish and even won some
tourneys, but I knew I could be better with a boat.

I bought a boat and promptly won the club title the first two years I was a
boater. Made a big difference for me to be able to fish my way, which is
usually slow.