Clip-on magnifying glasses

Old April 23rd, 2006, 11:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

Default Clip-on magnifying glasses

There seem to be 2 kinds of these - those that clip on the bill of a
baseball hat and those that clip on glasses directly. Any experiences with
either type? Will the direct clip-on ones attach over the polarizing lenses
that I always have attached? Thanks.

Old April 23rd, 2006, 11:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

James M. McCall wrote:
There seem to be 2 kinds of these - those that clip on the bill of a
baseball hat and those that clip on glasses directly. Any
experiences with either type? Will the direct clip-on ones attach
over the polarizing lenses that I always have attached? Thanks.

I use two different types. Lately I've been using the ones that clip on
the baseball cap (and I use these for both tying and streamside.) I
don't like the models that clip on my glasses because I usually have my
sunglasses already clipped on my specs.

For tying itsy-bitsy flies, I've got a high-powered hood type magnifier.
--
TL,
Tim

Old April 24th, 2006, 12:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 18:43:46 -0400, "Tim J."
wrote:

James M. McCall wrote:
There seem to be 2 kinds of these - those that clip on the bill of a
baseball hat and those that clip on glasses directly. Any
experiences with either type? Will the direct clip-on ones attach
over the polarizing lenses that I always have attached? Thanks.

I use two different types. Lately I've been using the ones that clip on
the baseball cap (and I use these for both tying and streamside.) I
don't like the models that clip on my glasses because I usually have my
sunglasses already clipped on my specs.

For tying itsy-bitsy flies, I've got a high-powered hood type magnifier.

For fishing I can vouch for the ones that clip onto the hat bill.
Bought one of those at the Slide Inn a couple of years ago and
wouldn't be without it.

S.T.W.
Old April 24th, 2006, 01:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

I've had a few different types and I can swear by these:
http://www.mageyes.com/hateyes.htm

Steel and optically ground plastic. Last 10X longer than any other and
won't break. Better clarity, doesn't distort when you are wearing
sunglasses.
Frank Reid
(obligatory note: do not own stock in or have anything to do with the
company)

Old April 24th, 2006, 01:09 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

"Frank Reid"

Steel and optically ground plastic. Last 10X longer than any other and
won't break. Better clarity, doesn't distort when you are wearing
sunglasses.
Frank Reid
(obligatory note: do not own stock in or have anything to do with the
company)

What Frank said .... Mageyes for tying .... hateyes for fishing

my only issue is that I wear a Tilley hat and the hateyes doesn't fit the
brim well ... if you are a baseball hat type ( i.e. plan to have your ears
cut off after too much sun { I have a friend that has this happen}) they are
great as is ... I'm still trying various modifications to the hateyes for my
broader, floppier, chapeau

Old April 24th, 2006, 01:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

"James M. McCall" wrote in
:

There seem to be 2 kinds of these - those that clip on the bill of a
baseball hat and those that clip on glasses directly. Any experiences
with either type? Will the direct clip-on ones attach over the
polarizing lenses that I always have attached? Thanks.

On-stream I use a hat clip type. On the bench I use a head-mounted mag-
eyes

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old April 24th, 2006, 02:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

I actually contacted Tilly about making a fly fishing hat with a
stiffer brim so we could use Hateyes. If a few other folks contacted
them, they might do it. I love my Tilly, specifically because it
floats.
Frank Reid

Old April 24th, 2006, 09:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

"Frank Reid" wrote in message
oups.com...
I actually contacted Tilly about making a fly fishing hat with a
stiffer brim so we could use Hateyes. If a few other folks contacted
them, they might do it. I love my Tilly, specifically because it
floats.
Frank Reid

hehe, since I've been doing them since long before I encountered "full Reid"
terminology, I call my slight wading errors "hat floaters" Last year, I
even took one in the easiest wading river on earth, the ranch section ot the
Hfork ...blub blub sputter sputter ... where's my hat ? A guy just down
from me caught it and frizzbied it to shore for me to retrieve

( note, I DID catch the fish I was so concentrated on that I completely
stopped watching where I was walking :-) ... it was only slightly wetter
than me

I've taken to carrying the slim, very light weight, cheater glasses one sees
in fly shops the last year or two ... with good croakies on my perscription
roids I can just hang them and put on the cheaters to tie knots .... I go
through a couple pairs of these 'slim specs'? a year, dropping and
scratching till gone