What WF line?

Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:33 PM
Anonymous

Default What WF line?

Hi all,

Does anybody have any opinion on the 'best' WF (floating and intermediate)
line to use on a Hardy Bougle 3 1/2" standard arbour reel?

With the arbour size of this reel, I'd like to get something with as little
memory as possible that shoots well from a fast tipflex rod.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old March 3rd, 2005, 08:51 AM
Anonymous

Good point - but a lot of lines are now designed with large arbour reels in
mind.

Lines like the Cortland 555 are very high quality and good for shooting but
are quite stiff and wouldn't be ideally suited to a reel like the Hardy
Bougle.

Thanks for you suggestion though

"Roddytoo" wrote in message
Hi Anonymous.
Cortland. Orvis. SA. Take your pick.
Like cars nowadays, nobody produces a dud, it wouldn't sell.

Old March 3rd, 2005, 01:21 PM
Ian D

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 20:33:50 +0000 (UTC), "Anonymous"
wrote:

Hi all,

Does anybody have any opinion on the 'best' WF (floating and intermediate)
line to use on a Hardy Bougle 3 1/2" standard arbour reel?

With the arbour size of this reel, I'd like to get something with as little
memory as possible that shoots well from a fast tipflex rod.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Well I used to be a Cortland fan, but wasn't entirely happy with my
last two 44's. I tried out a Snowbee Prestige at a dealers
recommendation, and am delighted with them, especially given the
price.
Lee Wulff TT lines are also a favourite, but they're not something
everyone takes to - you have to be very careful to match the line
weights to the rod, and the running line is very thin and wears fast.

Cheers
Ian D

Old March 5th, 2005, 11:34 PM
Gordon Entwistle

In my experience two makes of line are superior to the rest, Mastery and
Cortland.
The Mastery XXD Weight Forward and the Cortland 444SL Weight Forward being
the best. They are a bit pricey but add much to your casting pleasure.
As in most things you get what you pay for.
Cheers
Gordon.

Old March 6th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Anonymous

Hi all,

A lot of respondents to my question have been recommending Cortland line.
Has anybody any ideas on the difference between the 444 and 555 range? I've
only used the 555 before (WF7F) which seemed fairly 'stiff'.

Also, I'm looking for a good, smooth intermediate line that shoots well. I
have only previously used a Scientific Anglers WF7I and have found it to be
very 'rough' on it's surface and not good for shooting line.

Any further help would be appreciated.

Old March 6th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Ed

If it's any use to the group i bought a WF6F Scientific Anglers Aircel
Supreme which Stephen Fawcett in Lancashire (In current Trout and Salmon,
also on web) are knocking out at £17.50, hlf price, i also bought a
Masterline Challenge WF6F for £6. P& P was a reasonable £.25. They both cast
well but the Aircel has the edge and comes complete with loops. I can't
fault them, they've been selling them successfully for years.

Eddie

Old March 7th, 2005, 11:42 AM
laxhill

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 19:22:25 +0000 (UTC), "Anonymous"
wrote:

Hi all,

A lot of respondents to my question have been recommending Cortland line.
Has anybody any ideas on the difference between the 444 and 555 range? I've
only used the 555 before (WF7F) which seemed fairly 'stiff'.

Also, I'm looking for a good, smooth intermediate line that shoots well. I
have only previously used a Scientific Anglers WF7I and have found it to be
very 'rough' on it's surface and not good for shooting line.

Any further help would be appreciated.

In answer to initial enquiry the best line I ever used for being slick
and casting well was the Hardy Ice Blue floater. The thing that let it
down for me was durability. I fish "a lot" and it didn't stand up to
the rigours very well. Currently using - wait for it - Airflo Polyfuse
WF 7F. I get a least 2 seasons out of one and find them excellent.
Some of their early floaters were like hydraulic cables on a wagon.
Coils like you wouldn't believe. This one for me is fine. I have used
all the major makes over the years and wouldn't really quibble with
any of them. One at the cheaper end that was excellent was an
unbranded fluo yellow floater that Rutland Lodge sold/sell. I think
they were in fact Shakespeare but couldn't swear to it.
Intermediates I have a few makes but I rarely use any of them
preferring floaters. Of the one's I use my fave is a very old Hardy
Wet Cell 1. I'm not sure they make it any more. It's more slow sink
than intermediate. I just lengthen leader on floater to 25' or so if I
want to get deeper.
Keith