Pole fishing beginner, some help please

Old February 15th, 2004, 11:32 AM
David Taylor

Default Pole fishing beginner, some help please

Hi all,

I have been fishing for many years now but have yet to try pole fishing. I
would like some advice on a decent beginners pole, what sort of price to
expect to pay, and are there any good web site that give tips on rigs and
setting up. I hear the terms bungs and laccy and would like a site on what
does what and why.

Thanks

Old February 16th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Ergo

David Taylor wrote:
Hi all,

I have been fishing for many years now but have yet to try pole
fishing. I would like some advice on a decent beginners pole, what
sort of price to expect to pay, and are there any good web site that
give tips on rigs and setting up. I hear the terms bungs and laccy
and would like a site on what does what and why.

Thanks
Dave

http://www.floatsgone.btinternet.co..../polemenu.html

--
Ergo
www.eric-gales.co.uk

---
Don't worry I am virus free atm. rofl

Old February 16th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Phil L

david taylor wrote:
: Thanks this is a good site. Would still like some advice on a good
: beginners pole.
:
: Dave

What are you hoping to catch with it?
If it's just for small fish, less than a few lbs, then you dont need to
spend a lot, on the other hand, if you are targeting commercial carp
fisheries, then you can expect to pay between £200 to £4000 or even more...

There is really no limit to the amount you can spend on a pole, but watch
out for mavers, they have a tendency to wear away on the joints...a good
pole is a shimano, but obviously they're more expensive.
If you are going for small stuff, then a fairly cheap, lightweight pole
with a size 6 or 8 elastic is suitable.
For carp, a rigid strong pole with a size 14 - 20 elastic is required.

Old February 16th, 2004, 09:04 PM
david taylor

Thanks for the info, I intend to use it on a local lake targeting silver
fish, however there are carp in the pool, mostly in the 4-8lb range, but
going up to 14lb.
Is there anything I should look for when choosing a pole, thing to avoid or
certain things that are better than others.

Dave

Old February 16th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Phil L

david taylor wrote:
: Thanks for the info, I intend to use it on a local lake targeting
: silver fish, however there are carp in the pool, mostly in the 4-8lb
: range, but going up to 14lb.
: Is there anything I should look for when choosing a pole, thing to
: avoid or certain things that are better than others.
:
: Dave

You need something that is light,especially when extended as you are going
to be sitting holding it for hours on end...I cant really give you much more
info as i only really use mine for big fish and it's a margin pole, which is
7m and as stiff as a brush handle!
You'll need to budget for:
Front roller.
back roller.
spare top kits (you may get one with the pole)
elastics/bushes/connectors
then you'll need rigs (or make your own as i do)
cupping kit (for maggots/groundbait/pellets etc)
All these extras can mount up, so price these first as you'll need them
regardless of which pole you choose.
Talk to other pole anglers on your chosen water and ask them about their
poles too.

HTH

Old February 23rd, 2004, 10:42 AM
Michael Stokes

I would go for the lightest, stiffest, longest pole you can afford. You wont
go far wrong with an 11metre pole, but look to see if it has extentions
available to 12.5 or more, this will come in handy as you get better at pole
fishing. Another thing people tend to forget is that if you will be using a
seatbox you really should have a foot platform so your knees are parallel to
the the pole for it to rest on, its no use having your legs straight down to
reach the ground as you will not be able to hold the pole. Make sure you
have at least 2 top 3 kits, but the more the better as it allows you to
cater for all situations. I suggest you get 3 and rig 1 with a number 4
elastic for canal work, a number 8 elastic for heavier work, and a number
12-14 for carp. This means you can fish for everything with no worries. I
also suggest you look in magazines as tey regularly review poles. Improve
your coarse fishing, anglers mail and angling times all do reviews :-)

Old February 26th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Stevepp6

Try BDAA.co.uk for help.

Steve.