Temptation

Old April 18th, 2007, 02:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
pittendrigh

Default Temptation

http://montana-riverboats.com/Temptation

Every fly fisherman has succumed to temptation, and tried something
like this (the above link) at one time or another--haven't they?

The guy who showed me this one told me he used to fish
Rapalas on the Madison when he was a boy. Although he
did toss them with a spinning rod, he fished them like dry flies,
he said. He cast them out of a tin boat and drifted them, almost
motionless,
over-top the deepest, bluest troughs in the river. Big browns would
come up out of nowhere, he said, and smack them so hard it was scary.

Makes you wonder about how to make a long fat floating minnow
that would be a tad easier to cast. Maybe a lightweight version
of the (http://montana-riverboats.com/Twinkie) Twinkie would work.

Old April 18th, 2007, 03:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Wolfgang

"pittendrigh" wrote in message
ups.com...
http://montana-riverboats.com/Temptation

Every fly fisherman has succumed to temptation, and tried something
like this (the above link) at one time or another--haven't they?

The guy who showed me this one told me he used to fish
Rapalas on the Madison when he was a boy. Although he
did toss them with a spinning rod, he fished them like dry flies,
he said. He cast them out of a tin boat and drifted them, almost
motionless,
over-top the deepest, bluest troughs in the river. Big browns would
come up out of nowhere, he said, and smack them so hard it was scary.

Makes you wonder about how to make a long fat floating minnow
that would be a tad easier to cast. Maybe a lightweight version
of the (http://montana-riverboats.com/Twinkie) Twinkie would work.

One of the first flies I learned to "tie" under the tutelage of The
Malignant Dwarf was built on the base of a turkey wing quill. The bottom
two inches or so was cut off and glued and wrapped on top of the shank of a
long streamer hook, open end extending just to the eye. The open end was
plugged with a bit of shaped cork, and glued in place. Since the other end,
the tapered natural end of the feather, is already sealed, this makes a
hollow chamber which will cause the whole mess to float unless deliberately
weighted. The fly can be decked out in whatever manner one chooses.....a
zonker strip down the back and a few dabs of paint, for example, make a
pretty convincing minnow imitation. A lot of trouble to make what ends up
being a pretty fragile fly, and I don't recall ever catching a fish with one
on the few occasions that I tried, but fun stuff to play with.

Wolfgang

Old April 18th, 2007, 04:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
sandy

Wolfgang wrote:
and I don't recall ever catching a fish with one
on the few occasions that I tried, but fun stuff to play with.

Wolfgang

Didn't Vincent Marinaro make some experimental spinners
(adult mayflies, that is) with small clipped and plugged
quill bodies?

Marinaro used to be my fly tying role model, until
he published "In the Ring of the Rise" and tried
convice me (us) that a house fly pattern with crossed front
legs--made from two individual hackle fibers--was a reasonable
thing to do.

After that I took a deep breath and sigh, and reverted
back to my redneck roots.
Old April 18th, 2007, 07:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Larry L

"sandy" wrote

that a house fly pattern with crossed front
legs--made from two individual hackle fibers--was a reasonable
thing to do.

After that I took a deep breath and sigh, and reverted
back to my redneck roots.

HEHE yes Vince pushed the limits with that particular 'nod"

Old April 18th, 2007, 07:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Larry L

"pittendrigh" wrote

http://montana-riverboats.com/Temptation

Every fly fisherman has succumed to temptation, and tried something
like this (the above link) at one time or another--haven't they?

It happens that I had the air conditioner serviced yesterday ( it went out
in a record heat wave while I was in cool Montana last year, giving my wife
hell for a couple days ) hoping to avoid troubles later in the summer.

Ed, the seviceman, lives on the river and showed me some photos of 20 pound
Stripers he caught in his back yard ( not far from where I trout fish ...
kinda explains the low trout population ). I mentioned that the next
time I float the river I'll tote an 8wt and fast sinking line. He
wondered what kind of flies I'd try and I showed him a Blanton tie with the
comment " Just a Repala for fly snobsg"

Old April 18th, 2007, 08:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Wolfgang

"sandy" wrote in message
. ..
Wolfgang wrote:
and I don't recall ever catching a fish with one
on the few occasions that I tried, but fun stuff to play with.

Wolfgang

Didn't Vincent Marinaro make some experimental spinners
(adult mayflies, that is) with small clipped and plugged
quill bodies?

Don't know about Marinaro, but I do have a vague recollection of running
into references somewhere in the literature a long time ago.

Marinaro used to be my fly tying role model, until
he published "In the Ring of the Rise" and tried
convice me (us) that a house fly pattern with crossed front
legs--made from two individual hackle fibers--was a reasonable
thing to do.

Well, it IS reasonable......as long as one doesn't adhere to the narrow view
that reasonableness is affected by such mundane considerations as utility,
time, cost, effort, etc.

After that I took a deep breath and sigh, and reverted
back to my redneck roots.

Crickets, crawdads and crawlers? See Forgotten Treasures #18, the second
half of which was just posted here accidentally, over in ROFF for an
interesting look at the latter.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Old April 18th, 2007, 08:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Wolfgang

"sandy" wrote in message
. ..
Wolfgang wrote:

Well, it (house fly legs) IS reasonable......as long as one doesn't
adhere to the narrow view that reasonableness is affected by such mundane
considerations as utility,

I don't object to tying the fly that way.
I tie lots of bizarre and largely irrelevant flies.

But I (still can't) buy Marinaro's argument that it
did indeed matter--that he caught more
fish on house fly patterns that had two criss-crossed front legs.

Doesn't seem likely, does it? I'd have to see it myself.....several
times.....before accepting it as gospel..

Wolfgang

Old April 18th, 2007, 09:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
sandy

Well, it (house fly legs) IS reasonable......as long as one doesn't adhere to the narrow view