Woody Colmes and forgotten flies

Old March 21st, 2007, 05:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Willi

Default Woody Colmes and forgotten flies

pittendrigh wrote:

Hi Willi:

Here's page that seems to jump right out of what you said, about old
timers
and Wonder Rods

http://montana-riverboats.com/cms_bo..._printmod e=0

or, for a high resolution version:

http://montana-riverboats.com/Pages/...tts/index.html

Here's a scan of some originals I got at a pawn shop as part of a bulk
purchase of fly tying stuff I made there one time. Not in the best of
shape but they are snelled and still on the original cards.

http://crystalglen.net/Fishing/Potts.jpg

This photo:

http://crystalglen.net/Fishing/Pottsmine.jpg

is of some I tied up using this simpler technique

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...ced/part3.html

Willi
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
pittendrigh

Nice Work Willi....
Nice originals too.

Some of the most recent Pott's flies (when did they
quit making them? 70s 80s???) seem to have wrapped bodies
made with something like embroidery thread rather than the traditional
two-tone woven hair bodies. I wonder if anybody knows how
that story goes.

Old March 25th, 2007, 09:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Willi

Guy wrote:
An old cane rod, automatic reel, old style flies...think the fly line
will
stay new and no gut or horse hair leaders though.

Guy

I don't go back to horse hair or anything....... but when I was learning
to fly fish for trout, I saw lots of the "old" ranchers using a
Shakespeare "Wonder Rod" with one of those Martin red automatic reels,and
fishing a cast of a couple of those flies. Some of them liked snelled
flies so that they could attach a series of flies up the leader.

Will

Sorry for taking so long to get back. I do have couple of those old Matin
Auto's, an old glass Wright & McGill ,a Cortland and a Dorwen.?. Bet our
trout catch rate would still be pretty good with the old stuff. Just tied
some Red Hackles and some gray hair's ear with partridge soft hackles. They
look killer. I am taking one of those old outfits next time I go for trout.
Maybe there are some old looking clothes and hat to go along with it. Just
heading back in time a bit.

Guy

You could always find a pair of old latex waders and look like the
Michelin Man!

Willi

Old March 26th, 2007, 01:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Guy

"Willi" wrote in message
Guy wrote:
[...]

LOL. Thought about Seal Dries. Hated those things but they look to modern.
Don't think I'll go for some old waders, the breathables are really good. I
don't have old Martin reels. They are Perrine -

Guy