Giant Bream/Bluegill!!

Old April 11th, 2006, 12:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default Giant Bream/Bluegill!!

posted 10 April 2006 05:55 PM

Someone on another group I am on mentioned that they heard that there was
was man in Georgia breeding
GIANT BREAM/BLUEGILL. I posted an inquiry about this to still another group
and someone helped me out.
Guys and Gals....CHECK THIS OUT!!!
http://www.kens-fishfarm.com/bream-history.asp
KAHUNA

Attached Images

Old April 11th, 2006, 01:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Michael Bernardoni" wrote in message
posted 10 April 2006 05:55 PM

Someone on another group I am on mentioned that they heard that there was
was man in Georgia breeding
GIANT BREAM/BLUEGILL. I posted an inquiry about this to still another
group and someone helped me out.
Guys and Gals....CHECK THIS OUT!!!
http://www.kens-fishfarm.com/bream-history.asp
KAHUNA

I still have a hard time thinking of folks looking for Sunfish to catch. Up
here we try to keep them off our lines... in some places there are just too
many!.
5 pounds is big... but I'd rather hook a 5 pound trout, salmon, bass (yeah
yeah.. I know .. Large mouth is a giant sunfish), or even bigger striper.

--
_______________________________
www.fly-fishing-flies.com

Old April 11th, 2006, 03:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Sprattoo typed:
"Michael Bernardoni" wrote in message
posted 10 April 2006 05:55 PM

Guys and Gals....CHECK THIS OUT!!!
http://www.kens-fishfarm.com/bream-history.asp

I still have a hard time thinking of folks looking for Sunfish to
catch. Up here we try to keep them off our lines... in some places
there are just too many!.
5 pounds is big... but I'd rather hook a 5 pound trout, salmon, bass
(yeah yeah.. I know .. Large mouth is a giant sunfish), or even
bigger striper.

Given odds in a fight between a five-pound bluegill and a five-pound
trout/salmon/bass, my money's on the 'gill every time. Pound for pound,
they've got to be the best fighting fish around.
--
TL,
Tim

Old April 11th, 2006, 04:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Sprattoo typed:

Freshwater species maybe, but not if you include sal****er bullies

Old April 11th, 2006, 06:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

....ever catch 5+ lb. trevally (jack crevalle) on a flyrod?
They are, essentially, a salt water bluegill on steroids.

cheers

oz

Old April 12th, 2006, 03:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"MajorOz" wrote in message
oups.com...
...ever catch 5+ lb. trevally (jack crevalle) on a flyrod?
They are, essentially, a salt water bluegill on steroids.

cheers

oz

I realize how hard Gills fight. They get that flat body sideways and go for
a run. They are such a pain to handle and not very edible to my thinking.

As far as best fish fight I have had so far.... flyrod - or spincasting is a
good sized Bluefish.

When I can afford to put together a good SW rod/reel combo for myself I will
head out to hook a blue on a flyrod!!

I can't wait. Last year I reeled in a whopper (34 inch Bluefish) I didnt get
to weigh him in on 12lb test light spincasting rod/reel.
It took almost 25 minutes to get him up to the boat!
Totally tangled all the line he kept on stripping out on so many long runs.
I LOVED IT!

_______________________________

Old April 12th, 2006, 06:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Sprattoo wrote:
"MajorOz" wrote in message
oups.com...
...ever catch 5+ lb. trevally (jack crevalle) on a flyrod?
They are, essentially, a salt water bluegill on steroids.

cheers

oz

I realize how hard Gills fight. They get that flat body sideways and go for
a run. They are such a pain to handle and not very edible to my thinking.

As far as best fish fight I have had so far.... flyrod - or spincasting is a
good sized Bluefish.

When I can afford to put together a good SW rod/reel combo for myself I will
head out to hook a blue on a flyrod!!

I can't wait. Last year I reeled in a whopper (34 inch Bluefish) I didnt get
to weigh him in on 12lb test light spincasting rod/reel.
It took almost 25 minutes to get him up to the boat!
Totally tangled all the line he kept on stripping out on so many long runs.
I LOVED IT!

An old friend of mine (my best man 45 years ago) from near Boston has,
for years, been entreating me to visit. I am about to query him on the
whole bluefish thang. I have heard stories like you relate. His
brother has a boat and goes out for blues and stripers whenever he can.
I also understand they taste as good as they fight.

But for jumpers, king mackerel are my favorite (never cared much for
BIG (marlin, etc) fish).

cheers

oz, who never understood the "flat body" thing -- I only hook the
front, not both ends

Old April 12th, 2006, 02:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Sprattoo typed:
I realize how hard Gills fight. They get that flat body sideways and
go for a run. They are such a pain to handle ...

Technique. It's all in the wrist. ;-)

and not very edible to my thinking.

Hmmm. . . they're one of my personal favorites. Pan fried to a golden brown,
they're mighty tasty.
--
TL,
Tim

Old April 12th, 2006, 06:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Tim J. wrote:
Sprattoo typed:

I realize how hard Gills fight. They get that flat body sideways and
go for a run. They are such a pain to handle ...

Technique. It's all in the wrist. ;-)

and not very edible to my thinking.

Hmmm. . . they're one of my personal favorites. Pan fried to a golden brown,
they're mighty tasty.

Ditto. Mild, white, flaky meat. Very tasty.....very close to crappie.

brians

Old April 12th, 2006, 10:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

BlueGill will swim sideways making runs from side to side on their way in.
They almost never just come in head first.

Anyway..... You won't be sorry for the bluefish / striper trip.
They are AGGRESSIVE feeders. When you get one hit... have everyone cast
there... the water will explode as they start hitting the surface.

I make my own poppers for them out of hardwood. Should start posting them
for sale I guess.... They will bite right through most plastic one in no
time at all.
I prefer a popper about 3.5" long with 4XS trebles. They will straighten out
most treble hooks. unless you go to 1/0 size... even then sometimes. So
bring a good supply of poppers. Even for catch/release fishing they are so
much fun....

I agree that they are tastey. Especially on the grill with many friends and
occasioanlly marinated in beer or wine. When you clean them, just pull out
the dark meat strip down the lateral line. I find this bit rather strong
fishy flavor and oily.

Also make VERY SUPER EXCELLENT NewEngland fish chowder.
www.fly-fishing-flies.com
Flies from $5.60 per DOZEN and more!

"MajorOz" wrote in message
oups.com...