Montana Runoff

Old June 26th, 2008, 11:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
salmobytes[_5_]

Default Montana Runoff

The Bozeman daily Chronicle said the Yellowstone hit an 89
year flow record the other day. I stopped by to look at
the 9th street bridge yesterday, which is collapsing and
now impassable....was quite a site. The Yellowstone
will likely run muddy through to end of July.
The channels will all be rearranged when it's all over.

The Big Hole is well over 5000 cfs, which, for it means
the fishing is no good. Not impossible, but streamers
only and not much action.

The Missouri River Trout shop was rumored to have run
75 shuttles yesterday. Not sure if that's accurate.
But that's a lot for one shop.

But so much water has been dumping into the reservoirs they
recently bumped the outflow up to 11,400, which means
the end of small fly tailwater fishing there. The Missouri
will be all deep nymphs and streamers for a while. And
not much of that.

The Big Horn is fishing well I heard, but so crowded
you don't want to be there. Mountain streams are still
roaring. It's been quite a year.

The Madison below Ennis looks like a boat parade.
Time to pump up the float tube I guess.

--
/* Colin (Sandy) Pittendrigh --O0
** Have code will travel
Old June 26th, 2008, 11:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:07:49 -0600, salmobytes wrote:

[...]

Now, look, asshole - you need to put "on-topic" in the subject
line...here I was expecting something about election results in Montana
and I get a load of fishing-related crap...

HTH...Phred...
Old June 26th, 2008, 11:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
salmobytes[_5_]

Now, look, asshole - you need to put "on-topic"

I thought about calling it OT, which for this group
might have been somewhat accurate. I used to complain
about that. But now I'm just going with the flow.

This is an amazing runoff year. To get close to a 100
year flood in a snow-melt system you need to start with
a lot of snow. Then you need cold cloudy weather for the
whole spring. Then 2-3 weeks of steady rain in June.
And then you need the sun to come out suddenly and stay
out.

And that's what we got.

--
/* Colin (Sandy) Pittendrigh --O0
** Have code will travel
Old June 27th, 2008, 12:09 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:24:31 -0600, salmobytes wrote:

Now, look, asshole - you need to put "on-topic"

I thought about calling it OT

Um...it that for "on topic," "off-topic," "overtime," or a request that
someone should "order tamales"...?

, which for this group
might have been somewhat accurate. I used to complain
about that. But now I'm just going with the flow.

But you don't understand - it's the sneaky wording in the subject
line...I mean, if you had said something, anything, that indicated this
had nothing to do with politics, but when you use a phrase like "Montana
Runoff," it just naturally looks like politics...

This is an amazing runoff year.

Yeah, whoda thunk a Dem could win in Missis...HEY!! You're talking about
water and **** again, aren't you?

To get close to a 100
year flood in a snow-melt system you need to start with
a lot of snow.

AHA!!! I THOUGHT SO!!! MISREPRESENTER!!! MISREPRESENTER!!

Then you need cold cloudy weather for the
whole spring. Then 2-3 weeks of steady rain in June.
And then you need the sun to come out suddenly and stay
out.

And that's what we got.

TC,
Old June 27th, 2008, 12:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

wrote:

This is an amazing runoff year. To get close to a 100
year flood in a snow-melt system you need to start with
a lot of snow. Then you need cold cloudy weather for the
whole spring. Then 2-3 weeks of steady rain in June.
And then you need the sun to come out suddenly and stay
out.

Not only out west, but in Maine too. They had over six feet of snow
*on the ground* (which is alot for that area), and it rained all
spring. The lakes are all filled and the rivers are, or were, flowing
high. The Rapid got as high as 4700 cfs while I was there. Normal
flow is around 1000. They white water raft in August at 2300 cfs.

The flow is now 500 cfs, so I am thinking about going back next week
or the next. The river normally doesn't fish well in July (warm
water), but it should fish well right into mid July.

OT PHRED. OT

Old June 27th, 2008, 01:25 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
salmobytes[_5_]

Dave LaCourse wrote:

Not only out west, but in Maine too. They had over six feet of snow
*on the ground* (which is alot for that area), and it rained all
spring. The lakes are all filled and the rivers are, or were, flowing
high. The Rapid got as high as 4700 cfs while I was there. Normal
flow is around 1000. They white water raft in August at 2300 cfs.

....this is pretty cool. It looks like we can talk civilly about
fishing one minute, and then switch to political eye-gouging
the next. We might even enjoy a cigar and a single malt someday (in
between politics that is).

--
/* Colin (Sandy) Pittendrigh --O0
** Have code will travel
Old June 27th, 2008, 01:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 18:25:41 -0600, salmobytes
wrote:

We might even enjoy a cigar and a single malt someday (in
between politics that is).

Nahhhhh. I ever see you, buster, I's gonna kick your ass. Then I'll
buy the drinks.

d;o)

Old June 27th, 2008, 01:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
salmobytes[_5_]

wrote:

We might even enjoy a cigar and a single malt someday (in
between politics that is).

Nahhhhh. I ever see you, buster, I's gonna kick your ass. Then I'll
buy the drinks.

d;o)

I'll bring the joints

--
/* Colin (Sandy) Pittendrigh --O0
** Have code will travel
Old June 27th, 2008, 02:12 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 26-Jun-2008, salmobytes wrote:

I'll bring the joints

Thats a good one