GRHE question

Old October 14th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Larry L

Default GRHE question

"riverman" wrote

The hare fur was all spikey and
made them rather bulbous

After years of tying I recently learned a new trick ( for this old dog )
For best slimness and control over dubbing, don't make a big effort to spin
it on the thread before starting to wrap. Just get it started and then the
first bit caught on the hook. Then as each wrap is completed use your
materials hand to tighten the noodle before the next wrap. This trick,
courtesy of a Rene Harrop video, makes it possible to dub MUCH tighter and
slimmer noodles and sculpt far nicer bodies, regardless of dubbing used.

FWIW, I have pretty much abandoned the GRHE and have replaced it in my box
of generic "could be most anything" ties with the Dave's Fox Squirrel ....
just seems to work better for me. I use a blend of natural belly fur and
synthetic antron blend the same color for the abdomen, and on smaller sizes
I usually pluck out most the guard hairs from the back fur used on the
thorax to help keep it from getting too spikey and large, leaving only a few
for "legs" and trying, always trying, to remember that "sparse = better"
.... as close to a truism as I can think of in fly tying and fishing

Old October 14th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Charlie Choc

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 19:17:11 +0100, "riverman" wrote:

I tip my hat to you. I looked for 20 minutes.

Search on "hare's mask", it's the 3rd from the top.
--
Charlie...
Old October 14th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Mike Connor

"riverman" wrote in message
SNIP
I wonder if there's a link out there with a sketch of a hare's mask, and
sections marked out (like one of those butcher's guides for steaks, yum)
that name the regions and the properties for each, as well as which flies
those particular hairs are good for. Anyone? MC?

--riverman

http://www.flyfield.com/hare2.htm

for small flies, and if you want a smoother body, ( i.e softer hair which is
easily tapered etc) then use rabbit, or hare body fur. For very fine
dubbing, use rat or mouse.

Here are some other tips;
http://www.sexyloops.com/connorsmetre/grayling5.shtml

TL
MC

Old October 15th, 2004, 09:05 AM
riverman

"Charlie Choc" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 19:17:11 +0100, "riverman" wrote:

I tip my hat to you. I looked for 20 minutes.

Search on "hare's mask", it's the 3rd from the top.
--
Charlie...

D'oh. I searched under ""Hare's Mask" sections", ""What are guard hairs",
""What are" hare's mask", ""Hare's mask" image" and "using hare's mask".

--riverman

Old October 15th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Mike Connor

"riverman" wrote in message
SNIP
.. I searched under ""Hare's Mask" sections", ""What are guard hairs",
""What are" hare's mask", ""Hare's mask" image" and "using hare's mask".

--riverman

There is quite a bit of confusion about some of these things. "Guard hairs"
are the long hairs on an animal where the tips usually extend beyond the
underfur. Some animals donīt have them as such. ( Mole is one example), the
underfur is the woolly mat close to the skin. Some animals may not have this
either, or only at certain places on the body.

For some dubbing the guard hairs are used, for some the underfur is used,
and for some a mix is preferred. The dubbing qualities, and the results,
are directly related to the length, texture, and mix of the hair in use. The
dubbing technique also affects the results considerably. This is an
extensive subject, and it takes quite a while to become more or less au fait
with a lot of the ramifications.

TL
MC

Old October 15th, 2004, 04:04 PM
riverman

"Mike Connor" wrote in message

This is an
extensive subject, and it takes quite a while to become more or less au
fait
with a lot of the ramifications.

I suspect it will take quite a while just to understand that last sentence.
bseg

--riverman

Old October 16th, 2004, 04:01 AM
-- Rob

I also tie PTs using just brown thread and the gold wire rib. They have
worked
*very* well on my Maine waters.

Dave

that is an *excellent* suggestion... I know of some who tie small bwo's (just
using olive thread) but hadn't heard of PTs tied that way...
-- so much fishing, so little time --
--please remuv the 'NOWAY2it' from my email addy to email me--