Stoves?

Old November 13th, 2003, 08:42 PM
Johnny5

Default Stoves?

I too have the Coleman unleaded petrol stove and cook on it every week
during the winter months on the riverbank, no you dont taste the fuel at
all, they are economical, efficient and easy to use.
"Danny" wrote in message
Do you 'taste' the fuel in your cooking?

"John" wrote in message
You won't go wrong with a coleman sportster 533 dual fuel. They run on
unleaded petrol and are mighty powerful. Even in cold, wet and windy
conditions they boil a kettle in no time. I have used one for years and
found them very hard wearing and reliable.

John

Old November 14th, 2003, 01:34 AM
Jim Murray

Would agree the Colemans are great. When placed in front of a brolly on a
cold day will even act as a space heater!

I got a Shimano stove bag a couple of years ago and it takes the stove, fuel
bottles and kettle as well.

Got sent an Eydon(like a Kelly) kettle last week as a magazine prize. Can't
see it taking over from the Coleman though, cheers,

While we're here would anyone know if it's safe to drink boiled
lake/river/canal water?

Jim.

Old November 14th, 2003, 05:02 PM
Ergo

Jim Murray wrote:
snip
While we're here would anyone know if it's safe to drink boiled
lake/river/canal water?

Jim.

I should imagine river is better than canal or lake. You can buy water
purification tablets from some camping store. You still have to boil the
water really well and for use in an emergency only. Safer to take fresh if
you can. You could run the risk of Leptospirosis amongst other things.
Believe me that would serverely cock up your fishing. 8-?
--
Ergo ²°°³
A day without sunshine is like, well, night!

---
Don't worry I am virus free atm. rofl

Old November 14th, 2003, 05:12 PM
Jim Murray

Just as I suspected, Ergo, though I've drunk many cups of tea made with
water from lochs in Scotland. Even though that's probably about as safe as
you'll get in the UK, you never know what might have just flown overhead and
decided to contribute to your lunch;0)

Think I'll stick with taking fresh, got a couple of Platypus water-carriers
from the camping store, very good and roll up small when empty.

Jim.

"Ergo" wrote in message
snip

Old November 14th, 2003, 05:38 PM
John

Boiling the water will kill parasites and most bacteria present but it won't
remove any chemicals which may have got in from farmers fields etc.
--
Remove P's and BEANZ from to reply

Old November 14th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Danny

Boiling works - just bringing a pot of water to rolling boil will wipe out
everything you'd need to worry about as far as bacteria and viruses (boil
longer at higher elevations), but does little for mud or chemicals in the
water. Now you have hot muddy water

You can use a hand pump water filter. You can buy portable water filters at
any store that sells camping equipment. They have a bottle with a pump
handle on one end and a tube on the other end. The tube gets placed in the
watersource (lake, stream, etc.) and then you pump the water which gets
filtered and goes into the bottle. Then you can drink the filtered water out
of the bottle!

You can also use water purification pills, aka iodine pills.

So, if you pump the water with a portable filter, and then boil it, you
should be pretty safe. And if you go one step further and then add water
puritication tablets, then I don't think you can go wrong.

http://www.katadyn.net/waterfilters.html Rubbish site, but may give you an
insight into their filters.

Old November 14th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , Jim Murray
wrote:

While we're here would anyone know if it's safe to drink boiled
lake/river/canal water?

-Boiled- is fine. Note though that if you wash your crockery in cold river
water and then eat off it there is a chance you have consumed unboiled bugs.
I will occasionally drink direct from the river or lake - but not the waters
I coarse fish. Be especially cautious on slow waters where there is a large
rat population.

Boiled is ok though.

Cheerio,

Old November 14th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , John
wrote:
Boiling the water will kill parasites and most bacteria present but it won't
remove any chemicals which may have got in from farmers fields etc.

If the fish are still alive there won't be eniugh of anything in a cuppa to
hurt you. You should avoid taking water from downstream of road/storm
drains though - or anywhere below a built up area (people will pour all
sorts of stuff down outside drains not realising that many discharge
straight into waterways.).

Cheerio,

Old November 16th, 2003, 12:35 PM
Bob

I would not touch a Coleman with a barge pole. My mate and I had one and
set it going in a winshield between out bivvy's whilst it was boiling the
kettle we had a run and left it for a few minutes, The damned thing
exploded and took both our bivvy's and the stuff inside them. It seemed
according to the fire brigade that it had a faulty seal - I wrote to
Colemens twice and had no response. It cost me any my mate about 3 grand
between us to repolace everything - fortuanately we were insured.

Be warned.