Is anyone catching ANYTHING ? !

Old March 14th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Howie

Default Is anyone catching ANYTHING ? !

Hi all,

I'm quite new to this sea-fishing 'malarky', having only really
done coarse fishing as a teenager, but now, - having got a nice
boat to fish from around Torbay, Im struggling to catch ANYTHING
at the moment!

Can anyone advise me on the correct depths to fish for which
species and the best baits for this time of year?

I don't mind what I catch at the moment, because it's all a bit
of a novelty, but I'm getting very frustrated at catching nothing
for hours on end, with 4 lines in the water!

(Or am I just being impatient)?

;-)

H.

--
Howard Coakley
e-mail... howarddot}coakleyatcoakleydot].codotuk
Old March 14th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Edward Bray

Hi Howie,

How are you locating yout fishing spot? what type of bottom are you fishing
over? What species are you attempting to catch? Do you have a
fishfinder/echo sounder on board? Do you have a list of marks that produce
fish? What size is the boat? How far offshore are you going out? What depth
of water are you fishing in? Are you anchoring up or fishing on the drift?
Do you have a chartplotter or even a GPS for the boat?

These are all questions that you will need to answer for some specific help.
Unfortunately going out in a boat and throwing a line over the side will not
guarantee fish. Different species inhabit different areas and depths of the
sea and many different methods are required for each species depending on
conditions..

You can catch many fish close in around rocky headlands and points
specifically Wrasse, Pollock, Bass and maybe the occasional Conger, and you
will also catch many fish out at sea over wrecks, reefs and marked charges
in depth such as can be found on the skerries banks.

As you can see from above fish tend to inhabit areas of cover as this is
where the food that they require can be found. There are many large areas of
the seabed without any features or changes in depth and to all intents and
purposes these will be almost devoid of fish.

Hope this helps, if you require further advice answer the questions above
and I will try to give you some further pointers. I live in Plymouth so am
quite familiar with the South Devon coast.

Eddie.

Old March 14th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , Howie
m.invalid wrote:
Hi all,

I'm quite new to this sea-fishing 'malarky', having only really
done coarse fishing as a teenager, but now, - having got a nice
boat to fish from around Torbay, Im struggling to catch ANYTHING
at the moment!

This -is- about the leanest month of the year for inshore fishing.

For the moment try working lightish gear around rocky areas and headlands
looking for early pollock. Pretty soon the plaice will arrive on the
skerries and then spread out in the area. Black bream and turbot will be on
the cards in about a month and then the sea will generally wake up and the
season will last until about the next new year...

I don't mind what I catch at the moment, because it's all a bit
of a novelty, but I'm getting very frustrated at catching nothing
for hours on end, with 4 lines in the water!

In your place I'd have one line in with a ball lead around a pound and a
*big* redgill 4 metres behind it as I pottered along the coast at about
2-3 knots learning the lie of the land and hoping for a bonus bass or reef
pollock.

Cheerio,

Old March 16th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Howie

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 14:11:49 -0000, in uk.rec.fishing.sea you
wrote:

|Hi Howie,
|
|How are you locating yout fishing spot?

Standard depthfinder with supposed fishfinder. Not a very
expensive one. I've been trying to find areas of depth change or
apparant bottom changes like wrecks or rocks.

| what type of bottom are you fishing
|over?

It's mainly sand in Torbay I think, apart from locating the rocks
around the bay itself.

|What species are you attempting to catch?

Anything really. I want to keep up my enthusiasm by catching
anything I can at the moment!

|Do you have a
|fishfinder/echo sounder on board?

Yes. (see above).

|Do you have a list of marks that produce
|fish?

No, I'm totally new really.

| What size is the boat?

24'

|How far offshore are you going out?

I've tried all around torbay and into Lime Bay. Up to 6 miles or
so.

|What depth
|of water are you fishing in?

Torbay is mainly between 10 and 12 metres. Fairly constant. There
is a ridge off broadsands, but it only reduces the depth by a
couple of feet.

|Are you anchoring up or fishing on the drift?

I've tried both.

|Do you have a chartplotter or even a GPS for the boat?

Yes. GPS (not a map GPS, - but I am happy with it's accuracy and
I can find marks and waypoints using a chart).

|These are all questions that you will need to answer for some specific help.
|Unfortunately going out in a boat and throwing a line over the side will not
|guarantee fish. Different species inhabit different areas and depths of the
|sea and many different methods are required for each species depending on
|conditions..

Yes, and I know it's a bit frustrating but I just want to give
myself a start with any species which might be a good bet at the
moment.
I certainly appreciate your help.

|You can catch many fish close in around rocky headlands and points
|specifically Wrasse, Pollock, Bass and maybe the occasional Conger, and you
|will also catch many fish out at sea over wrecks, reefs and marked charges
|in depth such as can be found on the skerries banks.

Ok. Thanks. I'm still having problems finding a list of wrecks.
My library has no information and the charts show nothing really.
My next port of call are my local dive shops to see if they have
a list of marks for wrecks.

snip

|Hope this helps, if you require further advice answer the questions above
|and I will try to give you some further pointers. I live in Plymouth so am
|quite familiar with the South Devon coast.
|
|Eddie.

It certainly does help. Thanks very much Eddie. Appreciate it.

H.

Old March 16th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Howie

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 14:16:35 GMT, Capt. Couragous wrote:

|There's nothing left to catch. Years of mismanagement of the resource
|has completely depleted the breeding stock and there never again will
|be anything to catch. Sell your boat and buy a nice 32" TV on which to
|watch American fishing programs.

Very helpful. Thanks.
Old March 16th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Howie

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 17:30:50 +0000, "Derek.Moody"
wrote:

|This -is- about the leanest month of the year for inshore fishing.

Ahh. Well that makes me feel a bit better then! At least I can
kid myself that it's not ALL my fault ;-)

|For the moment try working lightish gear around rocky areas and headlands
|looking for early pollock. Pretty soon the plaice will arrive on the
|skerries and then spread out in the area. Black bream and turbot will be on
|the cards in about a month and then the sea will generally wake up and the
|season will last until about the next new year...

OK, thanks. Some good tips there.

|In your place I'd have one line in with a ball lead around a pound and a
|*big* redgill 4 metres behind it as I pottered along the coast at about
|2-3 knots learning the lie of the land and hoping for a bonus bass or reef
|pollock.
|
|Cheerio,

Ah. Thats easy. I'll do that and see if I can mark my own bottom
anomalies on my GPS at the same time.

Excellent. Thanks V. Much.

H.