pike question

Old October 12th, 2003, 10:39 PM
Phil.L

Default pike question

I usually target carp in the summer, and go sturgeon fishing through the
winter, with the occasional foray into trout fishing for a laugh.(not fly!)

this winter i'm going to have a crack at piking.
i have a couple of bungs etc and a few spinners of small to medium size,
wire traces, forceps and a good carp rod - 2.5lb test curve.
Im on a budget so i cant get spinning rods etc until i try it and see how it
goes.

i watched a prog on discovery H&L last week where a top pike man was
explaining the use of bright colours V dull ones and spinners V bungs etc.
what would be the best lure for clear water?
muddy water?
weedy water?
what size mainline is best?
will an ordinary reel do (its a baitrunner type with a good drag)?

any help gratefully received!

--
Ah, chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

Old October 12th, 2003, 10:47 PM
Ergo

Phil.L wrote:
I usually target carp in the summer, and go sturgeon fishing through
the winter, with the occasional foray into trout fishing for a
laugh.(not fly!)

this winter i'm going to have a crack at piking.
i have a couple of bungs etc and a few spinners of small to medium
size, wire traces, forceps and a good carp rod - 2.5lb test curve.
Im on a budget so i cant get spinning rods etc until i try it and see
how it goes.

i watched a prog on discovery H&L last week where a top pike man was
explaining the use of bright colours V dull ones and spinners V bungs
etc. what would be the best lure for clear water?
muddy water?
weedy water?
what size mainline is best?
will an ordinary reel do (its a baitrunner type with a good drag)?

any help gratefully received!

You could try here and go to the Pike Section
http://uk-fisherman.lithium.srv2.com/default.asp
They a usually a friendly and helpful bunch lol
--
Ergo ²°°³
A day without sunshine is like, well, night!

---
Don't worry I am virus free atm. rofl

Old October 13th, 2003, 10:26 AM
Dave Brown

"Ergo" wrote in message
Phil.L wrote:
[...]

I love piking !
I travel light normally taking just a rod, reel, landing net, pliers,
gardening glove and a pocket full of lures.
I had a 15lb beast yesterday out of the Thames at Sutton Courtenay.
The most successful lure at the moment for me is the wasp spinner type.
The pike (and perch/chub) are highly attracted to them.
Because of the design they are a lot less likely to snag like conventional
spinners.
https://www.bosfish.co.uk/PRODUCTS/P...xlspinners.htm
I use a fox predator two piece rod with a 3lb TC, which is a bit extreme,
but I like my kit beefy !
I use a daiwa baitrunner style reel with 20lb or an Okuma with 10lb.
In my opinion, you don't go fishing for Pike, unless you are sat their with
a deadbait.
I like to think you are hunting for pike.
You have to stalk them, running lures down the sides of weed beds and often
through !
Short casts under overhanging trees, in obstructed water with branches
everywhere.
Its much more fun and sporting than sitting there on a bank with a £1000 row
of hi-tech rods with bait alarms etc......
I'm quite lucky as there are some great spots local to me here for good size
Thames pike & perch.

Hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as I do.

Cheers - Brownz
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dwbrown/Image(90).jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dwbrown/Image(89).jpg

Old October 13th, 2003, 08:44 PM
Gray

Hi Phil
I've found that Pike can be as canny as Carp so have a selection of what you
can afford
Check out your local car boot sale for stuff our local one has a damn good
tackle supplier as does the other three nearby so I'm spoilt for choice at
times

Try making some yourself too

--
Regards
Gray

http://www.madcaravanner.co.uk

Old October 13th, 2003, 08:58 PM
Phil.L

Thanks to all for your tips and advice, I'm hoping to get a few more bits
and pieces together over the next week or two, and get a bit more advice
from the link Ergo sent and then I'll be ready to start!

Cheers all!!