flathead fingerlings

Old October 1st, 2003, 12:01 PM
Jerry Brandt

Default flathead fingerlings

He is right about flatheads eating bass and crappie. I had a pond with bass,
catfish, and crappie, and they were eating all the baby catfish. An old
fisherman said that if he put in a flathead, he would eat all crappie and
bass.

He put in a 35 pounder over six years ago. The old fisherman was right, he
ate all the bass and crappie. Plus he ate all the catfish and now is eating
the carp.

In all these years I haven't seen except once this summer when he came up
and caught a 2 pound carp and took it.

How much would you say he weighs now, six years later??

"Rodney" wrote in message
Moontanman wrote:

does anyone know where flathead fingerlings can be bought?

Moon

I would bet they will be hard to find, as no one really wants flat heads
in their farm pond, they are veracious feeders, and can wipe out the
bream and bass populations in small impoundment's

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Straight Up Hooks ,

Old October 1st, 2003, 03:08 PM
Rodney

Jerry Brandt wrote:

He is right about flatheads eating bass and crappie. I had a pond with bass,
catfish, and crappie, and they were eating all the baby catfish. An old
fisherman said that if he put in a flathead, he would eat all crappie and
bass.

He put in a 35 pounder over six years ago. The old fisherman was right, he
ate all the bass and crappie. Plus he ate all the catfish and now is eating
the carp.

In all these years I haven't seen except once this summer when he came up
and caught a 2 pound carp and took it.

How much would you say he weighs now, six years later??

If he has run out of food, he might be in trouble

I would fish for him using a 2 to 5 lb bass for bait :-)

Old October 4th, 2003, 03:25 AM
Moontanman

I have no doubt you are correct about the eating habits of flatheads, what I
don't know is where to get some fingerlings.
remove nospam from e-mail to send to me, I grow trees in aquariums like bonsai.
I breed dwarf crayfish, great for planted community tanks. If you can get me a
shovelnose sturgeon fingerling (Scaphirhynchus platorynchus) no wild caught
please, contact me