Peak Vise

Old March 22nd, 2004, 05:21 PM
Mark

Default Peak Vise

I had the opportunity to give my new Peak Vise a workout this weekend. I
am very glad that I took a risk on this vise. It is most definitely the
best fly vise for less than $200.00.

Old March 22nd, 2004, 05:24 PM
Tim J.

"Mark" wrote...
I had the opportunity to give my new Peak Vise a workout this weekend. I
am very glad that I took a risk on this vise. It is most definitely the
best fly vise for less than $200.00.

Which others have you used?
--
TL,
Tim

Old March 22nd, 2004, 09:51 PM
Mark

I should have been more clear about it being "best of class" in true-rotary
vises $200. While the Renzetti Traveler clearly has brand recognition,
IHMO, it is poorly made compared to the Peak Vise (which is completely
machined). Also, IHMO, to get a better manufactured vise, one has to move
up to a Dyna-King rotary ($200). The Peak Vise, with its six pound base,
is rock solid, even when tying very large flies. Also, after using a fly
vise with a white base, I cannot understand why most companies paint them
black. At $129.00, this vise is a bargain. Best of all, it is made in
the U.S.A. With the movement offshore to low-cost production centers
resulting in the loss of our manufacturing and engineering bases, it nice to
be able to purchase something that is made in the U.S. without having to lie
to one's wife about the price (i.e., I hope my wife does not sell my gear
for what I told her it cost when I die :-).

Here is a list of the $200 vises that I had used.

$200 True Rotary Vises

Renzetti Traveler, DanVise

$200 Quasi-Rotary (i.e., 360 rotation vises)

Anvil Apex, Dyna-King Kingfisher, Griffin Patriot

$200 Fixed

Original Model "A", Griffin Superior 2a

"Mark" wrote...

Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:57 PM
Jamie Caddick

Mark,

Sometimes being labeled as "Made in USA" or in my case "Made in Canada" can
be and frequently is misleading. In a lot of cases all of the parts for
various items are sourced from overseas and a small percentage of final
assembly is completed "here", usually just enough to be able to have the
"Made in ____" label. Here in Canada i believe it is in the range of 10% -
20% of the work must be completed here to qualify.

I work am the purchaser for 2 commercial marine stores and deal with this
crap of being labeled as "Made in ____" everyday.

Jamie

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

"Mark" wrote...

Old March 23rd, 2004, 01:01 AM
Mark

This vise is most definitely made here in the U.S. The parent company of
"Peak Fishing" is "Peak Engineering and Automation." I called later in the
day because UPS (a.k.a. Gorilla Express) had damaged the vise in route to my
house, and, when Kurt picked up the phone, I heard the distinct sound of
machine centers running in the background. I am an engineer
professionally, and I call pick out a low production product from a mile
away. The peak vise has that distinct small-shop look.

Old March 23rd, 2004, 02:24 AM
Allen Epps

In article , Jamie
Caddick wrote:

Mark,

Sometimes being labeled as "Made in USA" or in my case "Made in Canada" can
be and frequently is misleading. In a lot of cases all of the parts for
various items are sourced from overseas and a small percentage of final
assembly is completed "here", usually just enough to be able to have the
"Made in ____" label. Here in Canada i believe it is in the range of 10% -
20% of the work must be completed here to qualify.

I work am the purchaser for 2 commercial marine stores and deal with this
crap of being labeled as "Made in ____" everyday.

Jamie

There's an interesting (and amazingly coherent and non-legal-ese)
explanation of the FTC rule about made in America located here

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/madeusa.htm

Short story, All, or virtually all, manufactoring which includes
subcomponents and assembly need to be done in the US for it to have the
label. Interesting as well is that cars, furs, textile and wool have to
have the UC Content broken out.

Allen
Catonsville. mD
Old March 23rd, 2004, 06:42 AM
Hooked

"Allen Epps" wrote in message
et...

There's an interesting (and amazingly coherent and non-legal-ese)
explanation of the FTC rule about made in America located here

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/madeusa.htm

Short story, All, or virtually all, manufactoring which includes
subcomponents and assembly need to be done in the US for it to have the
label. Interesting as well is that cars, furs, textile and wool have to
have the UC Content broken out.

But then there's this from the same page you posted the link to:
The Standard For Unqualified Made In USA Claims

What is the standard for a product to be called Made in USA without
qualification?

For a product to be called Made in USA, or claimed to be of domestic origin
without qualifications or limits on the claim, the product must be "all or
virtually all" made in the U.S. The term "United States," as referred to in
the Enforcement Policy Statement, includes the 50 states, the District of
Columbia, and the U.S. territories and possessions.

So if it's made overseas, but in a U.S.Territory, like Guam, it can still be
called "Made in the USA." A lot of the crap from Wal-Mart that is labeled
"Made in the USA" is actually made by some poor foreigner making 20 cents an
hour.

Old March 23rd, 2004, 04:38 PM
Larry Medina

Mark wrote:

You left out the DynaKing Barracuda Trekker Jr.

It's not much under $200 ($189) but you can find it at places that
charge no shipping and no tax.

I considered the Peak when I purchased the Trekker Jr. about 3 months
ago... it was just about to come out on the retail market, was still in
testing by pros and decided against it. I don't think it's a BAD DEAL,
but I want a vise that's going to last over the long haul and is
comfortable to tie on.

DynaKing products are quite possibly the finest made on the market, they
pay close attention to the details and really offer the best customer
service going. the Trekker Jr. has a very smooth shank and allows a
nice resting place for your "off hand" while tying, not as nice as the
flat area of a Regal, but nice. there's a lot of room around the back
of the jaws for tailing and I don't know of too many vises that have a
more positive jaw locking system... Rn Abby has done a great job with
the draw collet. The base it comes with weighs almost 5 pounds, and if
you use it in a tabletop tying table (one of the oak ones with a vise
holding arm) then you have an extra base for your non-rotary vise as well.

I'm not a big "rotary guy" I like the feature for any flies tied in the
round, or application of some materials, but I still go back to my Regal
for the majority of my tying. I've been tying for almost 40 years, and
over the past 5-6 I've been drawn to trying a rotary... I've tried the
various models of the Renzetti, a few DynaKings, the DanVise, the
NorVise and the Waldron LAW Vise... if money was no object, I'd have
bought the LAW... it's a FANTASTIC piece of workmanship... but I have
kids to put through college =) I liked the top end Renzetti and
DynaKings, but knew the vise would receive less use than my fixed jaw,
360 degree rotational Regal over all... so I went with the best made,
most comfortable vise for under $200.

I spoke to 3 people who had tied on the Peak, long-time tyers whose
opinions I respect, and based on some of their comments, and because I
could afford the extra $50, I decided to go with the DynaKing Barracuda
Trekker Jr.

YMMV....

Larry
Old March 24th, 2004, 01:53 AM
Mark

While some vendors may be discounting it, the Dyna-King Trekker is squarely
in the over $200.00 vise category ($209.00 retail); thus, it was not
included in the list.

Old March 24th, 2004, 02:03 AM
Mark

One more import thing that I forgot to mention is that the Peak Vise is
ambidextrous. As a left-handed tyer, nothing ****es me off more than
having to deal with a "handed" vise. As most people in the U.S. are
right-handed, "handed" usually means "right-handed." If at all possible,
I never deal with a company that sells "handed" equipment --even if they
sell a "left-handed" version (i.e., "left-handed" equipment is hard to
resell).