Muskie on a fly?

Old May 5th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Tim Carter

Default Muskie on a fly?

Anyone ever catch a muskie on a fly? We have a lake relatively close by
that is purported to be filled with trophy muskie; I've always wanted to
catch one and now I'm thinking of doing it on a fly rod. Any suggestions on
rod/reel/lines/flies?

Old May 5th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Frank Church

"Tim Carter" wrote in
:

Anyone ever catch a muskie on a fly? We have a lake relatively close
by that is purported to be filled with trophy muskie; I've always
wanted to catch one and now I'm thinking of doing it on a fly rod.
Any suggestions on rod/reel/lines/flies?

....you need to get the video by Larry Dahlberg on fishing for muskie with a
flyrod. Some awesome shots of the strikes, etc. He uses "divers" the size
of small rabbits.

Frank Church
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:46 PM
JohnR

Bill Sherer of We Tie It Fly shop in Wisconsin also has some videos out on
fly fishing for muskies. Here is a link to it: http://wetieit.com/ He also
has some special musky flies for sale in his catalog.

I have the video and he gives good info on places around a lake to fish for
musky.

We have muskies on the French Broad River in W. North Carolina but I don't
know anyone who has caught one on a fly.

-John
"Frank Church" wrote in message
9.11...
"Tim Carter" wrote in
:

Old May 5th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Big Dale

Tim wrote:Anyone ever catch a muskie on a fly? We have a lake relatively
close by
that is purported to be filled with trophy muskie; I've always wanted to
catch one and now I'm thinking of doing it on a fly rod. Any suggestions on
rod/reel/lines/flies?

I would not think they would much different from Northern Pike. I sould start
with some of that stuff. My friend John seldom takes anything but big deceivers
and 8 to 10 weight rods depending on the wind.

Big Dale
Old May 5th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Jeff

JohnR wrote:

We have muskies on the French Broad River in W. North Carolina but I don't
know anyone who has caught one on a fly.

they are also reported to be in the new river (or so i've been told). i
recall seeing a fly-guide (judson conway?) advertising muskie trips in
the high country area.

Old May 6th, 2004, 12:26 AM
Asadi

Tim are you talking about Pymatuning-or however you spell it?

for fly rods it's all about water temp.

john

Old May 6th, 2004, 03:43 AM
Willi and Sue

Big Dale wrote:

I would not think they would much different from Northern Pike. I

sould start
with some of that stuff. My friend John seldom takes anything but big

deceivers
and 8 to 10 weight rods depending on the wind.

Their behavior is similar but with a few exceptions their populations
are much less dense in a given water. Unless you happen to see a fish,
you're going to make alot of casts per fish. Although there are anglers
dedicated to catching Musky, the majority of Muskys I've seen caught
were by people fishing for Walleye or Crappie or Bass or Pike or ? One
of my uncles spent a week each Summer in Wisconsin fishing for Musky. It
took him five years to land a legal (over 30") Musky. (He did catch a
number of smaller ones as well as some very big Bass and Pike) In my
limitted experience, they tend to be territorial. If you see one in an
area or get a follow, the fish is very likely to be in the same area if
you go back. My Dad landed a large one when he went back to area where
he had a follow the day before.

Willi

Old May 6th, 2004, 08:01 AM
Tim Carter

"Asadi" wrote in message
ink.net...
Tim are you talking about Pymatuning-or however you spell it?

Nope, I'm talking about the Salt Fork Lake close to Cambridge. The
Pymatuning is bit further North and East, close to the Grand River, close to
PA, etc.