Starting to fish again - seeking your good advice

Old March 9th, 2013, 09:15 PM posted to alt.fishing.catfish
OMB

Default Starting to fish again - seeking your good advice

Howdy Everyone,

I haven't been on this newsgroup for several years, but used to read and
occasionally comment here. Maybe some of you remember 'Stink Bait' from
the Dallas area who was on here a lot as well. I had given him an outboard
engine, and about every other week, he commented on what a good engine it
was and was always asking me to come up to fish with him. I am sorry that I
didn't do so. But I had just had major surgery on my right shoulder rotator
cuff, and couldn't use that arm much for nearly a year. I have heard that
Stink Bait is no longer with us - that's sad.

I used to do a lot of fishing for catfish, mostly flatheads using limb lines
and live bream, and had pretty good luck with that. But my fishing buddy
died about six years ago, and I haven't found anyone else to fish with yet.
Finally gave my boat, outboard, and trolling motor away to my daughter and
son-in-law, so I don't have any way to do limb lines anymore.

Have been exchanging emails with a friend in Louisiana who has a camp down
in the bayous and the swamps. He is mainly a rod and reel man, and
occasionally a few jugs. Anyway, have been talking to him for the last
year, and a good deal of the time is about fishing. I am getting
enthusiastic about doing some rod and reel fishing for some channel cats,
and will be trying it as soon as we get good weather. But, have a couple
questions.

One is regarding hooks. The guy at local Wal-Mart told me that most guys
fishing for cats are using a sort of round hook, which is the best I can
describe it. Instead of the bend at the bottom, it continues up the front
of the hook, and the barb is nearly in a 3/4 circle. He said they are known
to hook much better. I can sort of see the principle, but at the same time,
I can envision that it would be easier for the fish to spit it out. I'd
appreciate your comments on your experience with these hooks.

Also, he said that most of the guys are using floats (corks, I call them)
for rod and reel fishing. I generally fished on the bottom for cats unless
the bottom was very soft mud of silt. He said they have found that cats
bite better a couple feet off the bottom. Any comment on this?

That's about all for now, am looking forward to you comments.

Thanks, Bob-tx