Dandruff flies

Old November 25th, 2010, 12:36 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Larry L[_2_]

Default Dandruff flies

On Nov 24, 1:58*pm, george9219 wrote:
On Nov 24, 2:07*pm, Larry L wrote:

And my bride has every single color but no longer does embroidery.
Hmmm....

Might be worth the risk

I've poo-pooed the book a couple times here, but it actually gave me
some good Ideas and his approach to collecting and matching midges is
impressive

I make a couple floating nymphs using partridge (or similar) *for
tails and legs ( beard style) two shades of DMC for a segmented body,
a loop tied CDC wing case/ wing, and two shades of zelon dubbing mixed
for thorax * * Absolutely nothing new here in concept but the abdomens
look very nice with the slightly different color segments, and they
fish well * * Often, on the hard fished waters I seem to frequent, the
trick is to produce something that looks like the bug but different
from the other patterns that look like the same bug ...

I also use the stuff for midge pupa and other totally subsurface
nymphs

Um, speaking of totally subsurface...or not. * THE single thing I'd
most like to master is the ability to fish small to tiny half-in the
film ... or better yet, just under it ala a real midge hanging down
trying to work through that barrier ( or one of my crawling baetis
spinners stuck there ?) .... none of the techniques and/or ties I've
tried really does the job .. consistently * *It's pretty simple to get
half-in half-out "float" at size #14 ... even 16, but with tiny ties,
no. * Anyone got ideas, I got ears.

Have you tried using a larger floating fly as an "indicator"? A
friend, who is a master flyfisherman, tyer, and rodbuilder, ofren uses
a hopper in tandem with a midge pupa with great success.

I use a dry/ dropper combo a lot .... just yesterday I caught a few
with a # 16 Griffith's Gnat as the dry and a small beadhead midge
dropper down 18" but it was "fish the water" not fish the midge
hatch

I'm looking to consistently hang that "nymph" right at the film NOT
down a foot, or even 6 inches, not even an inch, to match the naturals
during a midge hatch
Old November 25th, 2010, 02:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Frank Reid © 2010

All,
Just looking over this thread and seeing that we have posts from
Wales to Oz, sworn enemies, and more. Ya'll are trading info on a
rather esoteric area of the sport (at least I though it was esoteric
till I asked about it). This is trey cool. Thanks for alll the
help.
Today is the American Thanksgiving Day. I thank you all for your help
and I want to thank those original folks that set up ROFF for giving a
voice to fly fishermen from around the world.
Frank Reid
Old November 25th, 2010, 03:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
D. LaCourse

On 2010-11-25 09:23:38 -0500, Frank Reid � 2010 said:

All,
Just looking over this thread and seeing that we have posts from
Wales to Oz, sworn enemies, and more. Ya'll are trading info on a
rather esoteric area of the sport (at least I though it was esoteric
till I asked about it). This is trey cool. Thanks for alll the
help.
Today is the American Thanksgiving Day. I thank you all for your help
and I want to thank those original folks that set up ROFF for giving a
voice to fly fishermen from around the world.
Frank Reid

How maudlin! Pass the tissues, please.

d;o)

Happy Thanks Giving to you and yours, Frank.