Dandruff flies

Old November 22nd, 2010, 06:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Robert from Oz

Default Dandruff flies

Here in the land of Australia all my nymphs are from #14 - 18, dries are
about the same and streamers range from #14 and upwards - and yes they can
be hard to see.

I have 2 Wheatley style compartment hinged fly boxes (bought those as
heirlooms which I use one of), and I have 2 of these which are exactly the
same as far as I can tell. Big difference between a few hundred dollars and
$19.95.
These hold some of my small flies...
http://www.amazon.com/Wheatley-Style.../dp/B002F8CIS2

This one works a treat for flies with micro eyelets made for micro
fishermen!
This is the model...
C & F Midge Threader Fly Box
ID: cf201
And here is a link... http://www.flyworld.com.au/view/c-and-f-design/

What you save on the first can offset the second.. keeps the Minister of
Finance happy.

Hope this helps mate.

Rob.

"Frank Reid © 2010" wrote in message
Okay, big hole in my fly box. Realized that all my flies are designed
for Eastern streams. BFF.... Big Friggen Flies. When you tie a
wiggle nymph with two size 8s, you got big flies. However, Western
streams require something a bit finer. Size 18-26 with an occasional
#32 are the primary flies used (though a size 14 pheasant tail will
take a serious fish, just don't tell the locals 'cause they'll tell
you it won't work).
Working with Ed Engle's book "Tying Small Flies." I also have
"Fishing Small Flies." Need to fill up a box with the micro flies
before the end of the Winter.
So, the question is, what is your favorite dandruff fly and where do
you use it?
Frank Reid

Old November 22nd, 2010, 07:17 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Robert from Oz

I have 2 Wheatley style compartment hinged fly boxes (bought those as
heirlooms which I use one of), and I have 2 of these which are exactly the
same as far as I can tell. Big difference between a few hundred dollars and
$19.95.
These hold some of my small flies...
http://www.amazon.com/Wheatley-Style.../dp/B002F8CIS2

This one works a treat for flies with micro eyelets made for micro
fishermen!
This is the model...
C & F Midge Threader Fly Box
ID: cf201
And here is a link... http://www.flyworld.com.au/view/c-and-f-design/

The cost of the C & F Midge Threader fly box is well worth a few extra
dollars for the ease of slipping on flies with small eyelets. I was a bit
dubious at first thinking it was a bit of a rort, but it has proven it's
self over and over; to the point where one threader is kept relative free of
flies and gets passed around for others to use.

#32 are the primary flies used (though a size 14 pheasant tail will
take a serious fish, just don't tell the locals 'cause they'll tell
you it won't work).
Working with Ed Engle's book "Tying Small Flies." I also have
"Fishing Small Flies." Need to fill up a box with the micro flies
before the end of the Winter.
So, the question is, what is your favorite dandruff fly and where do
you use it?
Frank Reid

Okay, just finding out that my standard fly box (scientific anglers),
doesn't hold these flies well.
What does everyone use to hold these flies (without spending $50 on a
flybox)?
Frank Reid

Old November 22nd, 2010, 09:56 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Stephen Welsh

On Nov 22, 5:46*pm, "Robert from Oz"
wrote:
Here in the land of Australia all my nymphs are from #14 - 18, dries are
about the same and streamers range from #14 and upwards - and yes they can
be hard to see.

[Wheatley C&F recom'n snipped]

What you save on the first can offset the second.. keeps the Minister of
Finance happy.

Hope this helps mate.

Rob.

Agree with Rob on the C&F, I have 4-5 of them, midge threaders are
great.
Wheatley comes out for Tasmania ... with bigger drys and the like.

Favourite Dandruff: Canon's beard .... a greenwell body, and snowshoe
rabbit foot wing post, on 18-24 is the smallest I go.
The Olive body is good in the quiet bits of rivers I fish.

2nd favourite: CDC #20 or less. Body wrapped CDC, tied in by tip at
tail, wrapped forward and tied back over body and clipped.
Natural dun mostly. Fished over fished over fish in quiet water.

On the GG, Ed Engle wrote a bit about using a muskrat shuck on
them ... again 20 or smaller.
IMO an emerger /stillborn/crashed cluster. Aus. clusters tend to be
sized 14 or even 12 nothing but a grizzle (sometimes black) wrapped
hook clipped to blazes. Ugly. The clusters do get that big on some of
our lakes ... the individuals might be pushing to make a 20.

(BTW: Fly Tyer Winter '97, Sping and Summer '98 has a series of Ed
Engle articles on midges - might be worth a look )

Steve
Old November 22nd, 2010, 02:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Tom Littleton

On 11/21/2010 6:03 PM, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:

Okay, just finding out that my standard fly box (scientific anglers),
doesn't hold these flies well.
What does everyone use to hold these flies (without spending $50 on a
flybox)?
Frank Reid

hell, any small, plastic compartment box will do. I use a small Cabela's
box, since I have a couple around, but one hardly needs a fancy
solution for this issue.

Tom

Old November 22nd, 2010, 06:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
D. LaCourse

On 2010-11-21 18:03:35 -0500, Frank Reid � 2010 said:

On Nov 20, 10:40Â*pm, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
Okay, big hole in my fly box. Â*Realized that all my flies are designed
for Eastern streams. Â*BFF.... Big Friggen Flies. Â*When you tie a
wiggle nymph with two size 8s, you got big flies. Â*However, Western
streams require something a bit finer. Â*Size 18-26 with an occasional
#32 are the primary flies used (though a size 14 pheasant tail will
take a serious fish, just don't tell the locals 'cause they'll tell
you it won't work).
Working with Ed Engle's book "Tying Small Flies." Â*I also have
"Fishing Small Flies." Â*Need to fill up a box with the micro flies
before the end of the Winter.
So, the question is, what is your favorite dandruff fly and where do
you use it?
Frank Reid

Okay, just finding out that my standard fly box (scientific anglers),
doesn't hold these flies well.
What does everyone use to hold these flies (without spending $50 on a
flybox)?
Frank Reid

Beans Ultra Thin fly box
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1113/...?feat=1113-GN2

Old November 22nd, 2010, 06:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
DaveS

On Nov 21, 4:01*pm, Injun Joe wrote:
You guys must be kidding *A SIZE30 !!!!! *a number9 tippett ?
Reminds me of the story of the guy from texas *showing the clerk in
and English fly shop a small Texas size fly he used a 24#
The clerk put his hand under table and came out empty and opened it
toward the guy from texas --" These are the size 36# drys most of my
friends are using !

Had an 80th birthday last week and trying to plan a way to sell my 500
plus *brand new professional tied size *16# and below assortment of
flies. Thought I had worked out a big deal *buying direct from a
wholesaler !
Hell caught most of my fish on a stimulator or a foam yellow humpy.
Have a good Thansgiving
Joe the Elder

I am with you on the #30s Can't even concieve of how i would tie it
on. But then i guess I need one of those threaders.

On Franks question . . . I just use the compartments on a Perrine box
for my little flies, and take pains to keep it out of the wind. The
plus is that the bottom hackle spikes don't get mauled, but sorting it
out in the compartment is awkward.

All this talk about small stuff is making me reconsider my normal
practice, and maybe justify getting a lighter rod. Yeah, that's the
ticket . . . I NEED a new rod. Yeah. And a new reel too, dambit!

Old November 22nd, 2010, 10:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
jeff

On 11/21/2010 7:01 PM, Injun Joe wrote:
You guys must be kidding A SIZE30 !!!!! a number9 tippett ?
Reminds me of the story of the guy from texas showing the clerk in
and English fly shop a small Texas size fly he used a 24#
The clerk put his hand under table and came out empty and opened it
toward the guy from texas --" These are the size 36# drys most of my
friends are using !

Had an 80th birthday last week and trying to plan a way to sell my 500
plus brand new professional tied size 16# and below assortment of
flies. Thought I had worked out a big deal buying direct from a
wholesaler !
Hell caught most of my fish on a stimulator or a foam yellow humpy.
Have a good Thansgiving
Joe the Elder

heck joe, if you get rid of those flies, what will you fish with the
next 20 years of our adventures together. i figure at 100, i might be
able to keep up with you and a day of your interests...course, i'll be
80, and that's 120 in joe-years.

jeff
Old November 23rd, 2010, 12:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Tom Littleton

On 11/22/2010 1:55 PM, DaveS wrote:

All this talk about small stuff is making me reconsider my normal
practice, and maybe justify getting a lighter rod. Yeah, that's the
ticket . . . I NEED a new rod. Yeah. And a new reel too, dambit!

there ya go! That's the spirit that keeps this sport alive(or, at least
the tackle purveyors!)

Tom
Old November 23rd, 2010, 02:47 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
george9219

On Nov 22, 1:32*am, Bob wrote:
On Nov 21, 2:51*pm, george9219 wrote:

What Tom said. Also, if you see "sipping" rises and can't see what
they're taking, try your smallest ( mine is #30 on a Tiemco 2488 hook)
Griffith's Gnat. The tiny gnats double as a generic emerger.

I'm curious as to your source of Grizzly Hackle for a size 30 hook.
Heck even the peacock herl body called for on a Griffith's Gnat would
likely fill the gap between shank and point.

There is a fly show every year in Marlborough, MA. There is one dealer
who has two full barrels of necks, one dry, and one wet. I spend time
going through the dry barrel, and generally come up with some small
hackle. This year I scored what appears to be a bantam neck that has a
number of tiny feathers, and a patch that has quite a few, They set me
back a total of $43. Also, for the #28 and #30, I use Tiemco #2488
hooks, which have a wide gap, and can accommodate a slightly larger
hackle.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 02:56 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Giles

On Nov 22, 4:33*pm, jeff wrote:
[...]

Hm.....calculus. I never did believe that **** would do me any good
in high school.....and flunked it twice in college.

giles
who, looking on the bright side, is pleased that he was, for once in
his misspent scholastic life, indisputably right.