Tube flies

Old October 8th, 2010, 12:14 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Frank Reid © 2010

Default Tube flies

Okay, now that the wife's bottle of 409 kitchen cleaner no longer
sprays, aside from the Internet, where do you get tubes for your tube
flies? Been to the hardware store (where I happened upon a fly
fisherman that works there that knew EXACTLY what I needed) and the
crafts store with no luck. Any ideas?
Frank Reid
Old October 9th, 2010, 01:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
eyeclinic

Heat shrink tubing from any electrical store. Shrink it over the
mandrel and lube the mandrel first. For larger flies,coffee stirrers.

Rich
Old October 10th, 2010, 07:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Frank Reid © 2010

On Oct 9, 7:50*am, eyeclinic wrote:
Heat shrink tubing from any electrical store. *Shrink it over the
mandrel and lube the mandrel first. *For larger flies,coffee stirrers.

Rich

My problem with heat shrink tube is that it crushes. Once you pull
the fly off the mandrel, the thread comes loose. I like the coffee
stirrer idea. Thanks
Frank Reid
Old October 10th, 2010, 10:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
eyeclinic

On 10/10/2010 2:19 PM, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:

My problem with heat shrink tube is that it crushes. Once you pull
the fly off the mandrel, the thread comes loose. I like the coffee
stirrer idea. Thanks
Frank Reid

After shrinking the tubing on the mandrel, lay down a thread base and
coat with a light layer of CA glue. Thread won't move after removing
the tubing from the mandrel. You can also take a whole length of tubing
and shrink it with a heat gun. It gets quite stiff after shrinking.
Then cut out the straightest sections and have at it. For this method I
like the clear,red,white and blue tubing from Radio Shack.

Rich
Old October 12th, 2010, 08:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Frank Reid © 2010

On Oct 10, 4:35*pm, eyeclinic wrote:
On 10/10/2010 2:19 PM, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:

My problem with heat shrink tube is that it crushes. *Once you pull
the fly off the mandrel, the thread comes loose. *I like the coffee
stirrer idea. *Thanks
Frank Reid

After shrinking the tubing on the mandrel, lay down a thread base and
coat with a light layer of CA glue. *Thread won't move after removing
the tubing from the mandrel. *You can also take a whole length of tubing
and shrink it with a heat gun. It gets quite stiff after shrinking.
Then cut out the straightest sections and have at it. *For this method I
like the clear,red,white and blue tubing from Radio Shack.

Rich

Will try it. Thanks.
Frank Reid
Old November 1st, 2010, 05:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
chas

Frank_Reid_©_2010 wrote:
Okay, now that the wife's bottle of 409 kitchen cleaner no longer
sprays, aside from the Internet, where do you get tubes for your tube
flies? Been to the hardware store (where I happened upon a fly
fisherman that works there that knew EXACTLY what I needed) and the
crafts store with no luck. Any ideas?
Frank Reid

I've found Q-tips in the drig store that have blue plastic tubes instead of the
usual rolled paper. They work great and I don't have to do anything but cut
them to size.

Chas
remove fly fish to e mail directly

Old November 2nd, 2010, 01:14 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Frank Reid © 2010

On Nov 1, 12:39*am, chas wrote:
Frank_Reid_ _2010 wrote:
Okay, now that the wife's bottle of 409 kitchen cleaner no longer
sprays, aside from the Internet, where do you get tubes for your tube
flies? *Been to the hardware store (where I happened upon a fly
fisherman that works there that knew EXACTLY what I needed) and the
crafts store with no luck. *Any ideas?
Frank Reid

I've found Q-tips in the drig store that have blue plastic tubes instead of the
usual rolled paper. *They work great and I don't have to do anything but cut
them to size.

Well, got those (bunches of them), but I was looking for a liner for
the metal tubes.
Frank Reid