Tracking Flathead Catfish

Old April 30th, 2010, 11:13 AM posted to alt.fishing.catfish
Garrison Hilliard

Default Tracking Flathead Catfish

As we pushed upstream, fish 1702 was talking to us. Just above the new ramp on
the Iowa River at River Junction, our radio receiver on board sounded clear,
crisp 'beeps' to tell us we were closing in on the five-pound flathead catfish.

Steering the boat toward a jumble of trees on an inside bend, Department of
Natural Resources fisheries technician Greg Simmons was confident. "It's in that
logjam. As we get closer, the beeping will get louder," said Simmons. Unplugging
the electronic box from the mast, Simmons held it over the side of the boat. The
beeps were loud and sharp. "It's right below us," offered Simmons. "1702 was
tagged August 20 of last year. The last time we 'saw' it was this May (probably
moving up from its wintering area) just above the mouth of the Cedar River. So
it's moved up about ten miles since then."

As Simmons recorded depth and other details, it was easy to see why the fish was
here. On the inside bend there would be a couple nice holes. The tangle of
flood-carried trunks, stumps and limbs created blocked the current, creating a
calm area, good habitat for smaller river fish...and the flathead catfish that
would swallow them. Across the river, the outside bend showed sloughed-away dirt
banks, a reminder of the changing nature of the stream and the multitude of
organisms it supports.

Crews last year caught and implanted radio-transmitters in 35 flatheads. This
trip was just for telemetry. "The receiver here will pick up signals from the
fish," explains Simmons. "Each one is assigned a different frequency. If the
scanner doesn't pick up a frequency in the two-second interval, it moves to the
next one." It had been a pretty good day. Starting at the Burlington Street Dam
in Iowa City on this day, Simmons had located 14 'electronic flatheads' by the
time he pulled out at River Junction, east of Riverside. DNR biologist Greg
Gelwicks had started there and was monitoring downstream. The research crew, out
of Manchester, spent the night and completed their run down to the Mississippi
the next day.

On a different trip, they might electroshock the same stretches; a method that
brings up smaller flatheads. Or, they would set underwater hoop nets, especially
during spawning, to get more of the monsters. They need to see a representative
sampling of the flatheads to gauge just how many are out there. Concerns from
anglers not seeing as many big flatheads prompted the multi-stream survey. As
the top predator, a balanced flathead population is critical to a river's
overall health. And if you've ever wrestled a five--or 45--pound flathead to the
bank, you know why many river anglers prefer them.

Similar work is underway in the North Raccoon, Des Moines and Cedar River
corridors in Iowa. That includes some attention to tributaries. Just prior to
pushing off, Gelwicks talked by phone with a woman who had caught one of the
transmitter-fitted fish on the English River, near North English. Though there
is nothing illegal with taking one home-they know of four caught--biologists
urge anglers to contact them to pin down location, movement and other data.
Plus, they'll stop searching for that frequency.

In its second year now, the study is showing that habitat is critical...and that
fish will move to get to that habitat. For instance, why did 1702 swim past 10
miles of the Iowa River to get back to that particular logjam above River
Junction? "A fish might do well for ten months out of the year but if it lacks
critical habitat, an over-wintering area for instance, it is going to have to
(search for it)," cautions Simmons. "We just don't know a lot about flatheads on
our interior streams. We are looking at how far they move at different times of
the year. We want to learn about population, growth rates, too; some simple
parameters to tell us more."

And through the implanted radio transmitters, the catfish are talking.

http://www.fishtheoutdoors.com/artic...ault.php?id=73
Old March 28th, 2011, 06:40 PM
jasonstonne jasonstonne is offline
Junior Member

The tiny eyes and bedfast forehead accomplish this catfish simple to identify. Their appearance is ablaze amber and has some atramentous or darker blemish of the aback and sides. The abdomen can ambit from anemic chicken to buttery white with smooth, no calibration skin. The aperture has barbels about it and the aback and fins accept aciculate spines.