OBROFF - Tied some flies

Old November 8th, 2009, 02:45 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Frank Reid © 2008

Default OBROFF - Tied some flies

I'm suffering from the creeping crud going through my workplace.
Luckily, the biggest effect on me now is a really bad headache. So,
instead of vegging out and watching football all day, I tied some
flies. Noticed that I didn't have a lot of streamers, especially big
streamers.
First fly that I tied was a chartreuse and white Circus Peanut. I was
introduced to this on the White by the guide. Really effective fly
and friggen HUGE. I followed the guide's lead and tied in on two #1
4X long hooks. Its the first jointed fly I've tied in years.
The second one I tied was a variation on the woolhead sculpin. Tied
that up into a baby rainbow trout for those big predatory browns.
The trip to the White helped me push the envelope on the size of fly
that I flung. Previously, I would have not used this big a fly (the
Circus Peanut is about 6" long and heavily weighted), but I learned
that I can throw these monsters and sometimes you gotta go big or go
home.
Frank Reid
Old November 8th, 2009, 04:47 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
IRIDEUS

On Nov 7, 6:45*pm, Frank Reid © 2008 wrote:
[...]

Going big can bring the grumpy fish out, glad to share the feeling and
flies.
Timothy
Owner
Irideus
Old November 8th, 2009, 07:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Frank Reid © 2008

Found a pretty awesome site: http://flyartstudio.com
This guy ties some great flies, good instruction and some great pics.
Granted, they are not all his flies, but the variations and the
quality of the tie makes for some very nice flies.
Frank Reid
Old November 8th, 2009, 07:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
DaveS

On Nov 8, 11:00*am, Frank Reid © 2008 wrote:
Found a pretty awesome site:http://flyartstudio.com
This guy ties some great flies, good instruction and some great pics.
Granted, they are not all his flies, but the variations and the
quality of the tie makes for some very nice flies.
Frank Reid

That hinged one he shows in various colors . . . looks like it would
be great for pickerel in the weed beds. (in frog colors with a weed
guard.) Maybe tied fatter in mouse for rainbows. His pix are something
else. wow.

Old November 8th, 2009, 07:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Frank Reid © 2008

That hinged one he shows in various colors . . . looks like it would
be great for pickerel in the weed beds. (in frog colors with a weed
guard.) Maybe tied fatter in mouse for rainbows. His pix are something
else. wow.

The hinged pattern (I'm looking at his site and can only find it in
the slide show) is a variation on the Circus Peanut. I was tying the
pattern and then looked up the woolhead rainbow pattern. Found his
variations on the Circus Peanut. Really like the fly (even though I
got jabbed by it three times the first time I tried to unhook a fish
from it). Like any good pattern, with color variations come something
usable anywhere you go. Kelly Galloup said: "Simply put, I think this
may be the best streamer on the planet today." It was designed by
Russ Madden.
Frank Reid