Eatable catfish?

Old June 24th, 2009, 09:53 PM posted to alt.fishing.catfish
Colin Bruner

Default Eatable catfish?

I always like to eat channel cats and I've never caught any real BIG cat
fish. I see these 30 lb and more cat fish in pictures but I've been told
that fish that big are not near as tasty as those that range smaller in
size. Some say they are oily and muddy tasting. One guy told me that only a
flathead cat is good to eat if it's real big. I'm sure catching the giant
ones will make your day as far as the fight goes! Any comment?

Old June 25th, 2009, 01:53 AM posted to alt.fishing.catfish
Rodney Long

Colin Bruner wrote:
I always like to eat channel cats and I've never caught any real BIG cat
fish. I see these 30 lb and more cat fish in pictures but I've been told
that fish that big are not near as tasty as those that range smaller in
size. Some say they are oily and muddy tasting. One guy told me that only a
flathead cat is good to eat if it's real big. I'm sure catching the giant
ones will make your day as far as the fight goes! Any comment?

Years ago I caught a 48 lb Blue cat, I hung him by his gills on my chain
link fence post to clean him, and the tail still bent along the ground,
I used an electric knife to cut steaks from it,, My neighbor walked
over, and like you, I thought this was not going to be good eating so I
gave him 20#'s of steaks

MAN was that a screw up I gave away 20# of the best fish I have ever eaten

--
Secret Weapon Recoil Rig,
Fishing lure remote control
Old July 1st, 2009, 01:55 AM posted to alt.fishing.catfish
Any One

i like too cut thier tails off and let them bleed out....i can eat fish
everyday

http://community.webtv.net/pc2005/doc

Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:16 PM posted to alt.fishing.catfish
Hammer Hammer

all cat fish are good the secret is to get that really thin membrane of
shon from the meat n sut out any dark streaks the thin skin closest to
the skin is where the fishy n muddy taste come from
the big cats are really good ya have to do the same thing to them altho
cutting steaks are best after felliting the meat it isnt as flakey as
yunger catfish but just as tastey
i recently cleaed a 25 /a 32 n 33 pounder from santee cooper they are
great eating

Old March 28th, 2011, 06:42 PM
jasonstonne jasonstonne is offline
Junior Member

The catfish's faculty of that appears to smell is above compared to added fish. This helps them to ascertain aliment from a distance. You apperceive if you're out on that nice bounce morning cat fishing, you baiting the angle with the smelliest affair you can find, because that aroma aisle travels, hopefully appropriate up a big bays cat's nose!