Willow sawfly adult

Old December 21st, 2008, 10:13 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Stephen Welsh

Default Willow sawfly adult

Hi All,

'S'been awhile, time (lack of it) induced absence mainly.

Had a great day yesterday poking around backwaters fishing to browns
who were taking drowndead Willow Sawfly adults. The insect is a
(nother) introduced species in Aus. and NZ from the northern
hemisphere. They've only been in my neck of the woods for 8-10 years,
and based on last season and the start to this one they look like
they're starting to become of major interest to the trout on willow
banked rivers hereabouts. I've done a little googling and while there
are some patterns for the larval stage - there aren't (m)any patterns
for the adult I could find.

Anyone have a pattern for the adult willow sawfly? I'll have a crack
at my own of course but I suspect there may be some local patterns out
there for a pretty little bug.
The pic at the site bwlow is pretty representative of what we saw
yesterday (a bug 7-8 mm long + antenna)
http://www.csiro.au/resources/Willow-sawfly.html

Steve (now what's been going on here ...)
Old December 21st, 2008, 02:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
rw

Stephen Welsh wrote:
[...]

I'd guess that a Yellow Sally would work.

Old December 24th, 2008, 02:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Frank Reid[_2_]

On Dec 21, 4:13*am, Stephen Welsh wrote:
[...]

I would tie up a caddis pattern in yellow. Tom Littletons Coyote Ugly
comes to mind.
Frank Reid