Old trick for the tying bench

Old December 6th, 2008, 06:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Denis Lamy[_2_]

Default Old trick for the tying bench

Hi everyone,

Since there's not much going on in this newsgroup, why not start another
controversy about tying flies. ;-)

A trick I have on my tying bench, my tying vise actually, is a large
flat fridge magnet. It helps to keep count and hold in place the hooks
I'm using to ti a serie of flies and will ocasionnaly even hold beads in
place so they dont roll around everywhere.

I select my hooks, count them and place them flat on the magnet, which
is laid on my vise pedestal. That way my hooks are all align, I don't
have to search for them around the tying bench or get stung by one that
flew under the table. :-s

--
Hope to read you soon,

Denis
www.uqtr.ca/~lamyd

You'll have to eat the SPAM to E-mail

Old December 8th, 2008, 03:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Denis Lamy[_2_]

Greg Mingle a écrit :
don't the hooks get magnetized?

greg

Not to my knowledge.

Old December 9th, 2008, 01:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Evrard Kerkhofs

Would that be bad, this magnetization thing?

EK

"Denis Lamy" schreef in bericht

Old December 9th, 2008, 03:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
riverman

It might even be beneficial. Lateral lines work on electric impulses,
right? Maybe magnetized hooks are the next secret weapon.

--riverman

On Dec 9, 9:05*pm, "Evrard Kerkhofs"
wrote:
Would that be bad, this magnetization thing?

EK

"Denis Lamy" schreef in t...

Greg Mingle a écrit :
don't the hooks get magnetized?

greg

Not to my knowledge.

--
Hope to read you soon,

Denis
www.uqtr.ca/~lamyd

* You'll have to eat the SPAM to E-mail- Hide quoted text -

Old December 9th, 2008, 03:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

riverman wrote:
It might even be beneficial. Lateral lines work on electric impulses,
right? Maybe magnetized hooks are the next secret weapon.

Would you have to tie in the hooks backwards in the
southern hemisphere ? ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old December 10th, 2008, 05:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
george9219

On Dec 9, 10:31*am, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
riverman wrote:
It might even be beneficial. Lateral lines work on electric impulses,
right? Maybe magnetized hooks are the next secret weapon.

Would you have to tie in the hooks backwards in the
southern hemisphere ? ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

No, but you'd have to fish left handed, (or right, if you are left
handed), and face in the opposite direction you are fishing, so that
your back cast becomes your forward cast.
Either that, or do what I do and not worry about your hooks being
magnetized.
Old December 15th, 2008, 03:05 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
vincent norris

Default Speaking of magnets....

If you suffer the misfortune of having a hard disc crash, there is a
bright side. Inside the hard drive is a magnet whose strength is hard
to believe. Far stronger than the brick-shaped magnet I got from Radio
Shack.

I attached it to a three-foot-long dowel and use it like those metal
detectors you see on the telly to pick up any hooks I've dropped.

vince
Old December 15th, 2008, 02:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Denis Lamy[_2_]

Denis Lamy a écrit :
Hi everyone,

Since there's not much going on in this newsgroup, why not start another
controversy about tying flies. ;-)

Another trick that is as old as the tying bench: the film canister
filled with steelwool. I have mine handy on the table and I leave the
cap on. My bodkin is always clean and sharp. The underside of this is
that I have to change bodkin every few years, it does get shorter. :-|

Old December 15th, 2008, 11:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Tom Littleton

"vincent norris" wrote in message
If you suffer the misfortune of having a hard disc crash, there is a
bright side. Inside the hard drive is a magnet whose strength is hard to
believe. Far stronger than the brick-shaped magnet I got from Radio
Shack.

I attached it to a three-foot-long dowel and use it like those metal
detectors you see on the telly to pick up any hooks I've dropped.

vince

great tip, Vince. And, as always, a pleasure to hear from you!!
Tom