San Juan worm

Old October 29th, 2008, 09:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
egildone

Default San Juan worm

I am trying to tie some San Juan worm patterns using some small chenille
that I bought, but is is too flexible. Is there anything that I can
use to stiffen the chenille? I cannot find the material that is used in
the San Juan worms I bought. Does anybody know where I can find it?

Ed
Old October 29th, 2008, 09:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
daytripper

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 16:19:35 -0500, egildone
wrote:

I am trying to tie some San Juan worm patterns using some small chenille
that I bought, but is is too flexible. Is there anything that I can
use to stiffen the chenille? I cannot find the material that is used in
the San Juan worms I bought. Does anybody know where I can find it?

Ed

"Too flexible"?

The San Juan Worm is properly fished with a dead drift (when was the last time
you saw a worm swimming through the water column?) so there really isn't any
need for the chenille to be stiff...

/daytripper
Old October 29th, 2008, 10:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Dave LaCourse

wrote:

I am trying to tie some San Juan worm patterns using some small chenille
that I bought, but is is too flexible. Is there anything that I can
use to stiffen the chenille? I cannot find the material that is used in
the San Juan worms I bought. Does anybody know where I can find it?

Ed

The hook will make it stiff. The ends will flop, sort of like the
real thing.

I have two SJ worms - don't know where I got them from - that are
stiff. The tier probably used head cement or something similar. They
are stiff. They also spin like a propeller. Not a good thing, ya
know?

Old October 30th, 2008, 03:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Larry L

"egildone" wrote in message
I am trying to tie some San Juan worm patterns using some small chenille
that I bought, but is is too flexible. Is there anything that I can use to
stiffen the chenille? I cannot find the material that is used in the San
Juan worms I bought. Does anybody know where I can find it?

Ed

do a search for ' vernille '

it's small in diameter but dense and strong

I, however, agree with the others that your finished fly should wiggle - NOT
be stiff

Old October 31st, 2008, 12:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
riverman

On Oct 30, 5:19*am, egildone wrote:
I am trying to tie some San Juan worm patterns using some small chenille
* *that I bought, but is is too flexible. *Is there anything that I can
use to stiffen the chenille? *I cannot find the material that is used in
the San Juan worms I bought. *Does anybody know where I can find it?

Ed

Try using a section of pipe cleaner.

It won't catch fish, but it will be stiff. :-) As others have said,
the secret of the SJW is that is moves around and looks alive.

--riverman
Old November 27th, 2009, 06:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Junk A New

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 16:19:35 -0500, egildone wrote:

I am trying to tie some San Juan worm patterns using some small chenille
that I bought, but is is too flexible. Is there anything that I can
use to stiffen the chenille? I cannot find the material that is used in
the San Juan worms I bought. Does anybody know where I can find it?

Ed

Walmart, Cabelas, etc occasionally have small 3" red rubber worms.
Snell a barbed-back bait hook and skewer that into the worm.
Knocks'em dead. Half the fun is the reaction you get from purists.

Old November 27th, 2009, 09:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Junk A New

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 12:03:54 -0600, Junk A New wrote:

is htat me?