Quill-bodied mayflies...

Old August 6th, 2008, 12:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Tim Lysyk

Default Quill-bodied mayflies...

Tom Littleton wrote:
Over the past few years, I have tied more and more dryfly imitations of
mayfly duns with variations of quill bodies. I use the word mayfly for
generics, not just the large fly by that name as Europeans use it. My
reasons for the move to quills was twofold: A slender, realistically
segmented body could be created and lighter colors remained true when wet.
The variations I have tried include, peacock quill(bleached and
dyed),stripped and dyed hackle quill,
bleached and dyed peccarry, turkey biots and plastic
'pseudoquill' types. Right now, I have sort of settled for using turkey biot
for most patterns, due to good availability, durability and ease of use. Any
others with input on this?
Tom

I like goose biots. If you tie them in correctly, one edge will curl up
for a really authentic segmented look to the body.

Tim Lysyk

copyright me.
Old August 6th, 2008, 01:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Tom Littleton

"Tim Lysyk" wrote in message
I like goose biots. If you tie them in correctly, one edge will curl up
for a really authentic segmented look to the body.

Tim Lysyk

copyright me.

have you tried bleached and dyed turkey biot? Sort of the same effect(turn
biot over and tie, and the edge lays flat, still segmentation but less
prominent). Agreed, biots seem to be my go-to for a thin, segmented body at
the moment.
Allan Podell gave me a whole range of dyed, bleached peccary. They make
great quills, and are easy to tie with, with GREAT segmentation. The main
problem, I cannot find a reliable source of bleached or for that matter,
any, peccary hairs.....
Tom

--
"The last one, I wont reply to you again, because there is simply no point
in doing so, nor will I post to either of the groups again.

Mike Connor"

8/3/08 7:30 pm EDT

Old August 6th, 2008, 01:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Tim Lysyk

Tom Littleton wrote:

have you tried bleached and dyed turkey biot? Sort of the same effect(turn
biot over and tie, and the edge lays flat, still segmentation but less
prominent). Agreed, biots seem to be my go-to for a thin, segmented body at
the moment.
Allan Podell gave me a whole range of dyed, bleached peccary. They make
great quills, and are easy to tie with, with GREAT segmentation. The main
problem, I cannot find a reliable source of bleached or for that matter,
any, peccary hairs.....
Tom

Nope, never used turkey biots. I tend to only use turkey for stonefly
wing cases.

Never used peccary either.

Tim Lysyk

copyright me
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:34 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
[email protected]

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 23:37:22 GMT, Tim Lysyk
wrote:

Tom Littleton wrote:
[...]

Dyed Domestic Goose Biots are not the same as dyed wild Canada Goose.
They are very hard to find and if you know a hunter a bottle of
whatever will go a long ways. The domestic or white dyed goose biot
does not have the depth of the "dark" edge definition when tied in,
which is what gives the pronounced segmented look. I will try an find
my vise and build a few for comparison and post the results
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
[email protected]

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 22:30:23 GMT, "Tom Littleton"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
if you can find them, seek out Canada Goose primary wing biots...dye
them in any manner you like and see what a difference they make in the
segmented appearance of the body.I think you will like it

http://www.troutflies.com/Merchant2/...009/hoh139.jpg

Thanks, Harry, I will do that. Pronto. Gosh, it is good to see you post
around these parts!! I hope you are well.
Tom

Thanks Tom, I'm doing very well, in fact about to hit the five year
all's clear mark here pretty soon. Kind of a milestone in the world of
angiosarcoma's :

Old August 6th, 2008, 12:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
jeff miller[_2_]

wrote:
On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 22:30:23 GMT, "Tom Littleton"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..

if you can find them, seek out Canada Goose primary wing biots...dye
them in any manner you like and see what a difference they make in the
segmented appearance of the body.I think you will like it

http://www.troutflies.com/Merchant2/...009/hoh139.jpg

Thanks, Harry, I will do that. Pronto. Gosh, it is good to see you post
around these parts!! I hope you are well.
Tom

Thanks Tom, I'm doing very well, in fact about to hit the five year
all's clear mark here pretty soon. Kind of a milestone in the world of
angiosarcoma's :

when last i saw you (a few weeks ago) on the banks of the madison, you
looked and acted so "well" that it never even crossed my mind that you
had experienced any life-threatening health issues. you were entirely
too well, as was i.g good to know we'll have you around for a good
long while yet - new flies to discover and new streams to wade. there is
something healing and energizing about chasing trout on such waters, eh?
btw, those cdc&elk and the killer caddis i first discovered through
you were magic on the madison and nez perce and... well, you know. did
the salmonfly ever get going strong?

always good to see you harry - here and elsewhere.

jeff

Old August 6th, 2008, 01:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Tom Littleton

"jeff miller" wrote in message
. ..
always good to see you harry - here and elsewhere.

jeff

and yourownself, too, counselor. BTW, how easy a trip would it be for you to
make it up to, say, Assateague Island(or visa versa)? The Littleton clan
might well be residing down that way within a year.
Tom

Old August 6th, 2008, 11:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
jeff miller[_2_]

Tom Littleton wrote:
"jeff miller" wrote in message
. ..

always good to see you harry - here and elsewhere.

jeff

and yourownself, too, counselor. BTW, how easy a trip would it be for you to
make it up to, say, Assateague Island(or visa versa)? The Littleton clan
might well be residing down that way within a year.
Tom

no kidding!! ASSateague...the island that kids love to speak about and
birds flock to. half maryland, half virginia. are you gonna be on the
good side or the less good side? i think it's about 4-5 hours from
here...i've never been on it, though i've been to its sister,
chincoteague once. you'll probably want to come this-a-way...better
sal****er fishing down here, my boats are here, and i'd rather you
drive. g

jeff
Old August 7th, 2008, 12:09 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Tom Littleton

"jeff miller" wrote in message
. ..
half maryland, half virginia. are you gonna be on the good side or the less
good side? i think it's about 4-5 hours from here...i've never been on it,
though i've been to its sister, chincoteague once. you'll probably want to
come this-a-way...better sal****er fishing down here, my boats are here,
and i'd rather you drive. g

jeff

If I understand the drift, and the cultural bias, the good side. In fact,
Littletons first arrived on the good side in 1673, and have been there, in
some number, since.
Better sal****er fishing?? I'm not sure, but both VA and the Old North State
have some interesting options. One of the cool things about where the old
homestead is located is options: The Chesapeake Bay is roughly 4 miles from
the house, I can be on Chincoteague/Assateague in under 20 minutes. Choices,
choices!! I'll keep you posted, as the whole process goes forward.
Tom