I have a dream

Old June 12th, 2008, 05:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
[email protected]

Default I have a dream

(first off - sorry for the cross post, but I'm trying to get a range
of suggestions from different fly fishermen)

I have a dream, wonder if anyone can help with suggestions for how
best to realize it:

I'd like to build an extensive fly-storage space in a dedicated
fishing shed. Imagine it as something like the fly pattern bin section
of a fly fishing shop. Only, in my version, I'd have the flies
arranged according to the approximate hatching times of the local
Catskill rivers. This would in part be an organization tool - my fly
boxes are a complete mess - and at the same time help me better learn
the many many bugs and imitations of the region.

I can quickly see this devolving into an organizational nightmare,
granted. (And, another argument against over-organization: there have
been many times where I expected to see one bug, showed up at the
river and found something completely different from what I expected,
grabbed a couple flies from my box that looked approximately right in
terms of size and color, and caught just as many fish as if I'd had
picture perfect imitations.) But just for the sake of the dream --

Anyone have any ideas of how best to cheaply construct such the fly
storage part? My first thought is to build some angled shelves like
you see in the fly shops, and maybe fill them with Plano 3700-style
tackle storage boxes with the tops removed. But that's only because I
happen to know what those boxes look like, and I'm not sure where to
get anything like the extensive storage boxes that the fly shops have
(I did find one place online, but they were waay expensive). Wondering
if there's some other plastic storage bin unit out there, perhaps for
another application. I don't do much tying, but also seems like tyers
might have use for something like this.

Second question, and this is more difficult -- maybe good for some
consideration on a rainy (or blazingly hot) day -- how would you go
about arranging such a thing? I'm vaguely thinking I'd do it like you
see the fly hatching charts -- expect X bugs and use X corresponding
imitations from this week to that week. With, I suppose, the longer
hatching bugs, like the BWOs, running longer lengthwise in the boxes?
Gets a little confusing here. Might be best to just arrange them by
approximate hatch-starting time, and leave it at that.

And, I suppose just like fly shops, streamers would have their own
section.

Anyway, this is somewhat just a thought experiment at this point. If
anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them - especially about those
fly storage bins!

Old June 12th, 2008, 01:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
AKSkim[_63_]

Salmo...

I like IT!!!

When can you come over and start building it for me???

--
AKSkim

*.... Red Sox Nation *and the rest of MLB
#1 in posts scrubbed, -163 and still counting.-
-AK Skim NEFF leader in Off Topic Banter, 72 Posts.-
*Winner of the NEFF 2007 Most Prestigious Award*
Old June 12th, 2008, 02:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
salmobytes[_5_]

wrote:
(first off - sorry for the cross post, but I'm trying to get a range
of suggestions from different fly fishermen)

Will you be tying flies in this shed? Or just storing them.
Seems to me the seasonal idea is too complicated.
For each season you'd need a new section for each major
category: streamers, dry flies, soft hackles, plastic worms,
etc.

I'd make a shed with a pressure-treated wood foundation.
Green copper-treated joists floating on 1-1/2" railroad
gravel. I'd make counters all the way around with damaged
solid core doors (cheap at the lumber yard) where the doors
rest on a 2x4 ribbon screwed to the wall, and sit on top
of K-Mart plastic drawer towers in front. Over-hanging fly
shelves would be slanted, with ripped formica scraps forming
the mini-bins. And I'd only have one section for streamers, etc.
Not many.

Make the walls out two layers of plywood: one layer of 1-1/8" tongue and
groove sub-flooring (glued at the joints) covered, with 2' overlapping
joints, with an roughs-sawn exterior grade plywood over that. Glue
a rectangular 2x6 ribbon to the wall tops, so you have something
for the 2x4 rafters to bite into. Cover it with 5/8" cdx and metal
roofing. Now you've got something you could pull up onto a stout
trailer and move, when the time comes.

It would need to be big enough for the coke machine (filled with
beer) pool table, wireless desktop and sound system too. Need
an air mattress cot too. And mini-fridge filled with rye bread
mustard and sausages. Flat screen TV?
Old June 12th, 2008, 03:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Andy B[_9_]

If I was going to do this, Then I would be buying a very large office
shed that can be bought at Home Depot or in my area from the Amish
Dutch. Now with this shed. I would have a tying area and material
storage and a small ben franklin stove for heat in the winter. You
would have to have electric for TV, AC and of Course Tying Lights and
Stereo. Now far as fly storage, You could build into the shed your own
chest of drawers that could slide out and be partitioned into bins for
holding flies. That part is pretty easy and should be able to get plans
from DYI and other wood shops stores. Now the down side of this, is I
would be spending way to much time in this shed and would be cutting
out my wife and my pets as well. I feel if you do not want to see them
then this is a good way to go. Now I have a huge tying room for me and
the other half of the 20 X 10 room is for the wife so she can do her
arts & crafts and scrapt booking. We have great lighting, Stereo, TV a
ton of chest of Drawers to store all my materials, a nice big tying
desk, a ton of Fly Fishing paintings by Jack Yelle from the Catskills
and most of all my Dog and two Cats can come in and hang out or just
say hello. Also no issue with the wife. I hear and love your dream, If
I were single, then I would have a room in my house or the shed idea as
well. Now speaking as a happy married man, this idea could be more of an
issue in the long run. I do not know your status and all I can say is
ponder on this a bit.

Andy
Brasko

--
Andy B
Old June 12th, 2008, 05:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
whileone

...I think that air mattress cot needs to be upgraded
to massage table, now that I think about it. You might
need a special back door for the masseuse too.
Old June 12th, 2008, 05:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
BIGBOW[_8_]

Definately need some calendar girls on the walls!

--
BIGBOW

*Listen To The River Sing Sweet Songs To Rock My Soul...*
Old June 16th, 2008, 02:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
irish1[_6_]

I think a bigger concern is the moths and other bugs that would love a
large meal like you have planned. It's pretty easy to keep the bugs
under control in the house but a shed? You'll also need A/C, BIG flat
screen, DVD player for those fly tying videos, tying lights, etc... so
be sure to include the extra power needed for that.

--
irish1
Old June 16th, 2008, 04:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
AKSkim[_64_]

Andy B;116030 Wrote:
I would be spending way to much time in this shed
Andy Brasko

Andy B:

I heard something about you when you were a lad.

I understand almost everyday when you father returned home from work,
your mother provided him with a report on your (miss) behaviour for
that day.

So having spent SOOOoooo.. much time in the woodshed.. I can see why
you would avoid a "shed" at all hazards.

As always, with the REST of the story.

AK Skim

#1 in posts scrubbed, -163 and still counting.-
Old June 16th, 2008, 07:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Andy B[_10_]

So whats your point. All I can say is Lies, Lies, Lies and more Lies. I
was a good kid. Yeah right, believe that and I will be pope next year.
Now that I think about it you should just bow now and call me pontive.

Andy
Brasko

--
Andy B
Old June 17th, 2008, 01:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Soft-hackle[_17_]

I guess I am a lucky man. I have a studio, being an artist, in my home.
It is where I paint, draw and tie flies. It has a small TV, Stereo,
recliner, my computer, drawing table, fly tying supplies and tools. All
my books are here, too.

Mark

--
Soft-hackle