vise

Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Dave LaCourse

Default vise

On Thu, 22 May 2008 09:03:01 -0400, Andy B
wrote:

Honestly, I think this post has gotten off the deep end. As a tyer who
demonstrates in shows, tyes for other people and of course myself there
is no right vise or wrong vise as well as tools. Now for a beginner I do
recomend a thompson or and HMH vise or a regal and so on. Also some of
those knock off vises do not have good hook holding capabilities or
requires a constant adjustment when simply going from hook to hook.

I learned on a Thompson knock-off that cost me $20. I have since
given it and other cheap vises I have acquired to newbies. All too
often I have seen someone go out and spend more than $100 on a vise,
only to use it a few times and decide it is easier (and less
expensive) to buy flies than tie them. THAT is why I tell newbies to
start off slowly and not initially invest too much money in their
tools, equipment, and supplies. If the person wants to continue fly
tying then he can invest in better equipment and he *should buy the
best he can afford.*

If anyone is going off the deep end it is you bragging about your
tying success and knowledge of the art. The guy was looking for
advise, not chest thumping.

hth, bidi.

Dave

Far
as tools like bobbin, whip finisher and so on, cheap tools adds more
issues to complicate tying. To a new tyer everything seems complicated
at first. Why would you want to add to it. Not everyone can use their
hands and others have physical issues. Tools and other types of vises
can help these people tye and enjoy the hobby, that what I'm talking
about. I do not like the Nor Vise. Other people do. It's not for me. I
love my Renzetti Master, you might love your Barracuda. The bottom line
is are you tying flies and enjoying yourself. I can tye a beautiful show
quality wet fly on My Renzetti or my first vise which was a Thompson
model A or a Regal or an HMH or Barracuda and with some practice I
believe I could tye one on a Nor Vise as well. This topic is like a
Ford vs Chevy vs Chrysler and so on. Try spending more time helping
beginners instead of critisizing the type of vise they tye on or the
tools they use or dont' use.

Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:00 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
John

"AKSkim" said:

John, your the first owner of one .....

Actually I'm not an owner. Norlander WILL refund your money, but not
cheerfully.

that I heard that hates it (couse I
never heard of anyone saying they like it either).

Several years ago at several shows, several celebrity tiers told me how
wonderful the vise and bobbin was, and I paid full price for mine not
knowing and finding out later that these guys got under the table kick
backs - no wonder they liked it.

I often wondered, if
someone spent a bucket load of money for it... how many who feels the
same as you would publically say so???

Don't know. Good question. My only reason for jacking my jaws was to let a
new tier know that new non-standard design, high priced vises may not be the
best for him. There is plenty of good advice in this thread saying what he
should do.

As always, appreciate your honesty.

I could be totally wrong about a newbie using the Nor-Vise. It's possible he
could start out on one, get the hang of it and never use a traditional vise
again. It's possible. Maybe the odds of him liking it would be as low as
one out of 10,000 but it's possible. On the other hand, if it was so good
for new tiers, why has the Nor-Vise not replaced all other beginner vises?

Good luck!
John

Old May 23rd, 2008, 12:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
AKSkim[_58_]

streamertyer;114572 Wrote:
I'll give you my take on some of the more popular ones -

OUTSTANDING over view of all the major vises out on the market today.

As good, infact, maybe DC may find a place for it in the product review
section.

AK Skim

--
AKSkim

*.... Red Sox Nation *and the rest of MLB
#1 in posts scrubbed, -161 and still counting.-
-AK Skim NEFF leader in Off Topic Banter-
*Winner of the NEFF 2007 Most Prestigious Award*
Old May 23rd, 2008, 12:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
streamertyer[_4_]

Thanks AK - glad you liked it.

I should have added that the HMH models do have 'head angle' adjust
that lets the tyer put the vise parallel to the table/base. This
doesn't give a stationary hook shank rotation, but it will keep the
shank perfectly horizontal during rotation (it will just move up and
down and toward and away from you, but stay parallel to the table). As
opposed to true center axis rotary (like the Renzettis), where, when the
vise is properly adjusted and hook placed correctly, the shank position
will be perfectly stationary during rotation.

Again, this is important for rotary tying, which is used in varying
degrees amongst tyers with this kind of 'true rotary' vise. As I
mentioned, I personally use it most often for ribbing streamers - just
hold the rib at desired angle angle and rotate the vise. Spacing comes
out near-perfect every time. I have also used the rotary feature for
hackling dry flies, but since tying them bores me to tears, I don't
talk about it too much.

--
streamertyer

*-CD-*
http://tinyurl.com/2mnk4z
Old May 23rd, 2008, 12:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
AKSkim[_59_]

CD:

Took a look at your web site.

*WOW......*

Real talent!

I would add more, by Petie-Po will scrub it for being off topic.

Talking about flies on a fly fising chat board.. how could THAT be any
where considered Off Topic !!! ??? !!!

As always, CD (not the CD - Weird DOG) great trying!

AK Skim

#1 in posts scrubbed, -161 and still counting.-
Old May 23rd, 2008, 12:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
irish1[_5_]

I hate to admit this but when I first decided to try tying I got one of
those instruction books that comes with everything. When I "caught the
fever" I quickly upgraded. If I remember correctly the book and
everything needed to tie a couple of flys cost around $20. I'm cheap
and decided it was better to start off with something inexpensive (read
cheap) to see if this was something I wanted to do than not like it and
have expensive dust collectors.

--
irish1
Old May 23rd, 2008, 01:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
AKSkim[_60_]

irish1;114623 Wrote:
I hate to admit this but when I first decided to try tying I got one of
those instruction books that comes with everything.

I believe that is how many of us got started.

Mine was one from LL Bean.. $54.00 plus shipping.

I wore that Thompson style vise out, stopped into LL Bean, said it
wouldn't hold a hook any longer and they gave me a new one right off.
Now I wished I kept it.

Stuck into the shelf of my tying desk is one of the first flies my son
tied, and the first one I tied that I caught a fish with.

#1 in posts scrubbed, -161 and still counting.-